All trade deadline talks & rumours

SterioDesign

Of course it would depend on the cost, but anyone saying Jagr wouldn't help this team is as delusional as Deboer is playing Gionta.  

Plain and simple, the NHL is a special teams league. If we even have a remotely decent PP this team can get by 5 on 5.  Also, shoot out opportunities must be won by the Devils. If you think that the Devils have the tools to currently make these things happen, then I don't know what to say.

I still don't know why the Devils don't run a PP based off the goal line just perplexes me.

Of course it would depend on the cost, but anyone saying Jagr wouldn't help this team is as delusional as Deboer is playing Gionta.  

Plain and simple, the NHL is a special teams league. If we even have a remotely decent PP this team can get by 5 on 5.  Also, shoot out opportunities must be won by the Devils. If you think that the Devils have the tools to currently make these things happen, then I don't know what to say.

I still don't know why the Devils don't run a PP based off the goal line just perplexes me.

The NHL is not a special teams league.  It is a 5 on 5 league.  And Jagr is not good at the shootout and there was a big controversy with him refusing to take shootouts when he was a Ranger.

The NHL is not a special teams league.  It is a 5 on 5 league.  And Jagr is not good at the shootout and there was a big controversy with him refusing to take shootouts when he was a Ranger.

I'd rather have better special teams than worse special teams. 

At what cost though?  Obviously purely hypothetical, but what would you be willing to give up for a few months of Jagr on the PP?

(This may come across as a bias question...because it kinda is, in all honesty :lol:)

Cool.  It's really hard to upgrade them, though.  You don't just stick in a player and get better unless there's someone who's really awful (like, say, Adam Larsson).

Edited by Triumph

Cool.  It's really hard to upgrade them, though.  You don't just stick in a player and get better unless there's someone who's really awful (like, say, Adam Larsson).

Say what?  That's true if we're talking about someone like Ponikarovsky.  But, what do you know, talented offensive players are not guys that you're just "sticking in there". 

It's off topic, but the biggest problem with stat geeks is this urge to try an isolate a few factors and conclude that's what makes a team good. 

damn id love to have j-bouw. I see a lot of hate for him on hockey sites and whatnot. ive always liked his skill set and I don't think hes ever really been in a system to where he can flourish. his cap hit is high but the guy can play. the blues are gonna love him I think.

PP is mostly not about the players as much as the system, look at chicago last year they were last or near the bottom on the league on PP... with kane, hossa, seabrook, toews, sharp etc etc etc... 

obviously you need guys who can do their role well... and we could have that i think but we could be better, i'd put Kovy down low just like where Neal is always standing and scoring on the PP near the faceoffs circles and have 2 real puck mover on the blue line.

Say what?  That's true if we're talking about someone like Ponikarovsky.  But, what do you know, talented offensive players are not guys that you're just "sticking in there". 

It's off topic, but the biggest problem with stat geeks is this urge to try an isolate a few factors and conclude that's what makes a team good. 

Did the Devils get way better with Kovalchuk on the PP in 2009-10?  I know everyone thought they would.  I don't think they did.  Nor do I think they've really gotten better in general because of him.

How much do you really think you can improve a power play by adding Jagr and replacing someone else on the top unit?  How many more goals would you score?