3001 days since the Leafs played a playoff game

StormJosh

More Leaf's fun

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2012/07/pat-quinn-lineup-card-mistake.html#more

Oops.

If you're confused, here's what just happened: The Leafs lineup that night was meant to include Robert Reichel. But the Islanders realized that Quinn had accidentally listed Mikael Renberg (who was hurt) as #21 instead. They waited until the game began, then alerted the officials. Because Reichel wasn't listed on the official lineup card, he couldn't take part in the game and was sent back to the dressing room.

Let's rewind the tape and go through some of the highlights:

Referee Paul Devorski

We start with a closeup on Devorski, which seems like an opportunity to just put this out there: He looked like Al Bundy, right down to the bald spot. Everyone else thought this too, right? We all made "Referee Bundy" jokes whenever we saw he was working a game? It wasn't just me? Cool, good to know.

Oh, and then we all yelled "Whoa Bundy", struck a one-armed football pose, and sang the "duh duh-duh duh duh-duh duh duh vegetable garden" song at the top of our lungs, right? Hm. I see. Everyone is going to just awkwardly stare at me now?

See, this is why I never feel comfortable opening up to people. Let's just move on.

That weird noise in the background during play

This game is being played at the ACC, and yet instead of total silence there's this weird noise where it sounds like thousands of people actually paying attention and cheering. Must be some sort of problem with my youtube account. I should probably contact tech support.

The Leafs' starting lineup<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; text-align: left; ">

Bob Cole informs us that the Leafs are starting Lumme, Berg, Corson, Domi and "Healey", which might mean that Glenn just wandered by and Bob got confused but is probably referring to journeyman winger Paul Healey. Go back and read those names again. Is that the worst starting lineup in NHL playoff history? I think it might be.

I mean, the 2002 Toronto Maple Leafs not only had those five players in the lineup at the same time, but it actually seemed like a good idea to start them. How bad must the rest of the roster have been? Well, here are some other players who actually dressed for playoff games that year: Bob Wren, Jeff Farkas, Nathan Dempsey, and Don MacLean. And yet, that team still made the playoffs easily, and last year's Leafs missed by 12 points.

What I'm trying to say here is: I need a drink.

Alex Ponikarovsky

Hey look, it's a baby-faced Alex Ponikarovsky , making his NHL playoff debut. He sits there for a few seconds, adjusts his helmet, and then begins to twitch uncontrollably before executing a double face palm. This kid was born to be a Maple Leaf.