NJ Senators send letter to Bettman and Fehr

DaneykoIsGod

http://nhl-red-light...h-in/?hpt=hp_t3

Concerned about what the absence of Devils games will do to the already fragile economy of Newark, New Jersey’s two U.S. Senators sent a letter to both Gary Bettman and Don Fehr calling for a settlement.

Senators Frank R. Lautenberg and Robert Menendez wrote, “A delayed or canceled regular season would be a major setback for Newark. It could mean millions of dollars in lost economic activity, and more people out of work when our state unemployment rate is already at a 30-year high.

“Newark is not unique — communities across the country have tied their economies to professional hockey.” the Senators added. “As you consider your next steps, we encourage you to keep in mind the communities, workers, and families that would be hurt by a further disruption in the season.”

The Senators continued, “Businesses, workers and hockey fans played no role in causing this dispute, and it is unfair for them to have to bear this burden. The Senate has jurisdiction over interstate commercial activities, including professional sports, and will keep a close eye on your negotiations with hope that you will work diligently and quickly to resolve this matter.”

The letter won’t move either side an inch, but it’s better than saying nothing.

Between Sweeney and these two, I'm so glad our NJ politicians are taking care of the important things...... I love hockey, I hate that I can't watch it right now, but I don't want my elected leaders taking 2 seconds out of their day to address sports....ever. Sweeney looked like an idiot complaining about the refs, especially so when they resolved that the next day. Seriously, maybe we need to add sports to the clause about separation of church and state. Separation of sport, church and state dammit.

Between Sweeney and these two, I'm so glad our NJ politicians are taking care of the important things...... I love hockey, I hate that I can't watch it right now, but I don't want my elected leaders taking 2 seconds out of their day to address sports....ever. Sweeney looked like an idiot complaining about the refs, especially so when they resolved that the next day. Seriously, maybe we need to add sports to the clause about separation of church and state. Separation of sport, church and state dammit.

It was stupid complaining about the NFL but this is actually important. The hockey season makes up a large portion of Newark's economy around the arena. Its a big blow to their income if the season is lost. So I am glad they took a little time just to express their opinion.

Edited by Zubie#8

Tip of the cap to them both and I say good effort. It's not an issue about "sports" its an issue about the economy and the negative impact the lockout has on the lives of people outside the sport. Thanks to the selfishness of a handful of NHL owners everyone suffers.

Good for them in addressing it with Bettmen.

Edited by MantaRay

I understand the issue about Newark economic fragility, but the issue isn't Newark won't survive without a hockey season, it's that Newark shouldn't NEED it. Newark has the largest port on the whole eastern seaboard, it's got NYC not far from it, it's the largest city in the state. It should be able to survive on it's own. How about addressing that, senators?

I understand the issue about Newark economic fragility, but the issue isn't Newark won't survive without a hockey season, it's that Newark shouldn't NEED it. Newark has the largest port on the whole eastern seaboard, it's got NYC not far from it, it's the largest city in the state. It should be able to survive on it's own. How about addressing that, senators?

Don't be naive, Menendez and Lautenberg make many inquiries for Newark to the Federal Government. I can name a few off the top of my head in the past month. They just received federal funding for the Port Authority to strengthen the infrastructure around Newark Airport and the Port. They recieved hundreds of thousands of dollars for Rutgers Newark. In the past few years the Senators got millions upon millions approved to help the revitalization around areas in Newark. One of the biggest players in the revitalization is the Prudential Center so them losing 40 plus dates of 15,000 people commuting to downtown Newark is a huge hit. Of course the city would survive on its own but this revitalization project which started a few years ago has cleaned up parts of the city, created new jobs, and increased income in that area and that is why this is important. So taking a little time to write up this letter is not wrong whatsoever even if its just a PR move.

Edited by Zubie#8

I don't see the correlation here and your rant is over the top.

I agree that I don't want to see political leaders involved in sports, but in this case I think its justifiable. The loss of the NHL hurts Newark much more than it hurts say, New York. Prudential Center will be empty on nights when there are no games, which means people that work there can't work, and the many small businesses outside the arena will not have the same foot traffic on nights there aren't games. This is exactly the area where our leaders need to get involved. It's less to do with hockey itself than the other benefits the sport brings New Jersey. IMO its a small gesture and won't have any effect, but I respect the fact that they at least said something.

Now, the guy complaining about the refs is an idiot. People werent going to stop going to MetLife because of the refs, and Sweeney is also a Packers fan who was clearly butthurt by that terrible call. Its a lot different than the NHL which has multiple games weekly and a much longer season where the losses incurred to workers and small businesses in a market like Newark is real. The NFL itself was not locked out.

If we lose this season, I guarantee some places in Newark that we enjoy pre-game will be closed for good by the time they finally get their heads out of their asses and are playing hockey again. Even if this letter to the NHL was PR move and small gesture, I like the fact it was at least something. There's not much any elected official can do about this.

Come on guys... we all know the REAL truth as to why our senators addressed this issue. It's not about the economical impact it'll have on Newark, and it isn't even really about hockey at all. It certainly isn't about politics...

They know that once hockey resumes (whenever that may be) we're going to kick the rags' ass and THEY WANT MORE PIZZA!!!!!!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/17/new-york-new-jersey-senators-betting-pizza-on-devils-rangers-series/

Makes sense, no? Come on, who doesn't like pizza especially when it's free?