2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Well it took a year but it looks like Idzik's going to succeed in sandbagging Rex this time.  They couldn't cover a bed with a blanket, that's what happens when you have CFL corners and converted safeties.

Doesn't help that the Jets aren't interested in competing tonight.  Between Geno pulling a Sanchez, the stupid fighting after the play and our GREAT run defense getting outmuscled by tiny Gio Bernard...

Edited by NJDevs4978

Refs have to knock it off with these flags or games are going to become unwatchable. Both us an Cinci yesterday. You can't throw the yellow out there every time there is a little lineman scrum. Hockey refs don't do it...

CB position needs to be reinforced from the outside. This is unacceptable at this point. And Kyle Wilson still can't turn his head around and look for the ball after all these years

Love what I see from the RB position. We are literally 4 deep. Richardson would be a tough cut if it got there (he's not PS squad eligible)

Geno looked pretty good despite no Decker.

Pryor looked very good. Recover a fumble, and delivered a very hard hit to jar a ball loose. Also very quick burst when lining up at the line of scrimmage

Our 2nd and 3rd teamers have looked good once again. Almost dominating. Leads me to believe that while the Jets have only meh 1st team talent...they are actually a lot deeper than other teams.

Love what I see from the RB position. We are literally 4 deep. Richardson would be a tough cut if it got there (he's not PS squad eligible)

This preseason has really showcased our stout running game. CJ2K had 60 yrds on 9 carries against Cincinnati, Powell had 40+ yrds on 4 carries.. and although Ivory didn't play, he rushed for about 20 yrds the week prior against Indy, playing only the 1st quarter.

I'm sure Ivory & Johnson will get most of the glory, but imo.. Bilal Powell is one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. He's still only 25 years old, blocks as good as anyone, never fumbles.. and is coming off a season of 700 yrds on only 170 attempts. With a 3-headed backfield as good as the Jets have, I would not be against seeing Wishbone\Wing-T formation, where all 3 RB's can be on the field at once. Couple that with great runners in Vick & Geno.. there's no reason why MM can't get VERY creative here, and create mismatches running the ball.

Edited by Beezer34

This preseason has really showcased our stout running game. CJ2K had 60 yrds on 9 carries against Cincinnati, Powell had 40+ yrds on 4 carries.. and although Ivory didn't play, he rushed for about 20 yrds the week prior against Indy, playing only the 1st quarter.

I'm sure Ivory & Johnson will get most of the glory, but imo.. Bilal Powell is one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. He's still only 25 years old, blocks as good as anyone, never fumbles.. and is coming off a season of 700 yrds on only 170 attempts. With a 3-headed backfield as good as the Jets have, I would not be against seeing Wishbone\Wing-T formation, where all 3 RB's can be on the field at once. Couple that with great runners in Vick & Geno.. there's no reason why MM can't get VERY creative here, and create mismatches running the ball.

yes that's one of the things I'm waiting for MM to unveil. I think it's probably under wraps in pre season but with guys like Cj and Powell (who is a good unheralded all purpose back) we can have a pretty lethal screen game.

the whole afc east has been a mess for the past 10 years. how great it must feel to be the pats & no u will be spoted 5-6 wins every season

..must feel even better to be heckled at as cheaters everywhere and anywhere you go. :thumbsup:

the whole afc east has been a mess for the past 10 years. how great it must feel to be the pats & no u will be spoted 5-6 wins every season

The Jets often get unfairly labeled as a consistently bad football team.  They have a way of failing memorably and embarrassingly when they do fail (Buttfumble, etc), but when you look at their overall record the past 17 seasons, they're not nearly as bad as they're made out to be:

10 winning seasons, 3 with .500 finishes, 4 losing seasons

7 playoff appearances, failed to win at least one playoff game in only 2 of those appearances.  Three AFC Title game appearances.   

Overall record of 142-130 in the regular season and 7-7 in the playoffs since the 1997 season. 

Part of the problem is they haven't had any big winning seasons (think 12+ regular seasons wins), outside of 1998.  Their winning seasons have mostly been of the 10-6 (3 times) and 9-7 (5 times) variety, which unfortunately don't usually get you division titles.  Jets have only won their division twice in that 17-year span (once with a 9-7 mark that came down to the common opponent tiebreaker).  But they're often treated like they've been awful during this time period when they clearly haven't been.  They're usually competitive and have come up with some surprise victories here and there.     

It's been a different story with the Dolphins and Bills.  The Dolphins have just one winning season in their last 8, and the Bills have one in their last 14 straight.    

The Jets often get unfairly labeled as a consistently bad football team.  They have a way of failing memorably and embarrassingly when they do fail (Buttfumble, etc), but when you look at their overall record the past 17 seasons, they're not nearly as bad as they're made out to be:

10 winning seasons, 3 with .500 finishes, 4 losing seasons

7 playoff appearances, failed to win at least one playoff game in only 2 of those appearances.  Three AFC Title game appearances.   

Overall record of 142-130 in the regular season and 7-7 in the playoffs since the 1997 season. 

Part of the problem is they haven't had any big winning seasons (think 12+ regular seasons wins), outside of 1998.  Their winning seasons have mostly been of the 10-6 (3 times) and 9-7 (5 times) variety, which unfortunately don't usually get you division titles.  Jets have only won their division twice in that 17-year span (once with a 9-7 mark that came down to the common opponent tiebreaker).  But they're often treated like they've been awful during this time period when they clearly haven't been.  They're usually competitive and have come up with some surprise victories here and there.     

It's been a different story with the Dolphins and Bills.  The Dolphins have just one winning season in their last 8, and the Bills have one in their last 14 straight.    

it hurts that we've had the juggernaut Patriots to deal with since 2001 (and even before 2001 they were good, though not this good. 

The old time narrative is that the Jets are a joke and a circus. That doesn't change really regardless of how well we do. Often fans lob those taunts and insults at the Jets while their franchises have been far far worse over the past 15-20 years.

If the Jets played in say...the NFC East since like 1998, they'd have more division titles...easier "paths" to super bowls (look at 2010 when after going 11-5 their road was Manning on the road, Brady on the road....oh and now enjoy Roethlisberger IN Pittsburgh) their history would've been much much different. 

of the last 9 playoff games we've played, 8 have been against future hall of fame qb's. While we've started guys that won't sniff the hall. That's a tough road.

The Jets next window of opportunity for a Super Bowl run I believe opens next year. NE will still win the division this year though the Jets certainly have a good wild card chance. The Jets did some nice things 2008-2012, but that window was ultimately squandered, much like 1997-2004 where things never broke right (and we had the wrong coach)

Edited by '7'

it hurts that we've had the juggernaut Patriots to deal with since 2001 (and even before 2001 they were good, though not this good. 

The old time narrative is that the Jets are a joke and a circus. That doesn't change really regardless of how well we do. Often fans lob those taunts and insults at the Jets while their franchises have been far far worse over the past 15-20 years.

If the Jets played in say...the NFC East since like 1998, they'd have more division titles...easier "paths" to super bowls (look at 2010 when after going 11-5 their road was Manning on the road, Brady on the road....oh and now enjoy Roethlisberger IN Pittsburgh) their history would've been much much different. 

of the last 9 playoff games we've played, 8 have been against future hall of fame qb's. While we've started guys that won't sniff the hall. That's a tough road.

The Jets next window of opportunity for a Super Bowl run I believe opens next year. NE will still win the division this year though the Jets certainly have a good wild card chance. The Jets did some nice things 2008-2012, but that window was ultimately squandered, much like 1997-2004 where things never broke right (and we had the wrong coach)

It really depends on what the Jets have in Geno, which is anyone's guess.  If he's basically an average QB, their defense needs to be Seattle good, which I don't think it can be.  The only other way I see it happening is if they somehow strike gold in the draft with a great receiver or tight end.  Maybe they have that in Amaro, but too early to tell. 

It really depends on what the Jets have in Geno, which is anyone's guess.  If he's basically an average QB, their defense needs to be Seattle good, which I don't think it can be.  The only other way I see it happening is if they somehow strike gold in the draft with a great receiver or tight end.  Maybe they have that in Amaro, but too early to tell. 

I would say I'm mostly sold on Geno. I like his work ethic, he's supposedly a very heavy student of the game when it comes to homework and film prep. He can make all the throws, he can run it, he's read defenses much better this pre-season

But yea, if he's just average and not at least "good" then it won't get the Jets very far. Idzik is building this team slowly though with an eye towards prolonged success. The running game and defensive line I believe will be terrific this year. Maybe next year is the year to bolster the secondary and grab another receiver. The Jets look very unbalanced this year. They may end up with the best defensive line in the game and one of the worst secondaries. They're also very well positioned when it comes to the cap.

fwiw Sudfeld has had a great camp. Everybody is looking towards Amaro but Sudfeld may surprise.

Edited by '7'

I would say I'm mostly sold on Geno. I like his work ethic, he's supposedly a very heavy student of the game when it comes to homework and film prep. He can make all the throws, he can run it, he's read defenses much better this pre-season

But yea, if he's just average and not at least "good" then it won't get the Jets very far. Idzik is building this team slowly though with an eye towards prolonged success. The running game and defensive line I believe will be terrific this year. Maybe next year is the year to bolster the secondary and grab another receiver. The Jets look very unbalanced this year. They may end up with the best defensive line in the game and one of the worst secondaries. They're also very well positioned when it comes to the cap.

fwiw Sudfeld has had a great camp. Everybody is looking towards Amaro but Sudfeld may surprise.

Other thing to keep in mind is that the Bills appear to be a team on the rise, especially if they have something with Watkins, and if EJ Manuel is decent this year.

Miami is anyone's guess.  I want to like Tannehill, but he's proven to be awful in those must-win/should win games.  They have a pretty good secondary, that might get better if one of the CBs they drafted last year turns out to be any good.  A good secondary can take your defense a long way.  Then you have to see if Dion Jordan turns out to be something better than Vernon Gholston or Aaron Maybin.

Unfortunately for everyone else in the AFC East, the Pats aren't going anywhere for at least the next three years.  I don't see anything in Brady's game that would show you that he can't hack it physically anymore, or that he won't be able to for the foreseeable future.  The league's desire to overprotect the quarterback means that the really good ones will have a much longer shelf life.   

Other thing to keep in mind is that the Bills appear to be a team on the rise, especially if they have something with Watkins, and if EJ Manuel is decent this year.

Miami is anyone's guess.  I want to like Tannehill, but he's proven to be awful in those must-win/should win games.  They have a pretty good secondary, that might get better if one of the CBs they drafted last year turns out to be any good.  A good secondary can take your defense a long way.  Then you have to see if Dion Jordan turns out to be something better than Vernon Gholston or Aaron Maybin.

Unfortunately for everyone else in the AFC East, the Pats aren't going anywhere for at least the next three years.  I don't see anything in Brady's game that would show you that he can't hack it physically anymore, or that he won't be able to for the foreseeable future.  The league's desire to overprotect the quarterback means that the really good ones will have a much longer shelf life.   

Well, Brady had his worst season in a while last year stat wise. His qb rating has been in a steady decline since 2010. But he is still miles ahead of what we've got (or Buffalo)

I don't know what to expect out of NE this year. They may well be in the Super Bowl again. They have a renewed focus on defense, but they're very "win now" when it comes to the ages of guys like Wilfork, Mankins, and Connolly. And who know what Revis is planning after this season. But I don't think in the NFL you can predict 3 years down the road. Except for Buffalo, I have no faith in anything they do.

Edited by '7'

Well, Brady had his worst season in a while last year stat wise. His qb rating has been in a steady decline since 2010. But he is still miles ahead of what we've got (or Buffalo)

I don't know what to expect out of NE this year. They may well be in the Super Bowl again. They have a renewed focus on defense, but they're very "win now" when it comes to the ages of guys like Wilfork, Mankins, and Connolly. And who know what Revis is planning after this season. But I don't think in the NFL you can predict 3 years down the road. Except for Buffalo, I have no faith in anything they do.

The QB rating thing is tricky...the first year of that four-year period (36 TD and 4 INT) was based on good fortune...he WAS good that year, but he could've had 8-10 picks easily...opposing DBs dropped some easy INTs.  Last season, he and his receivers clearly weren't on the same page.  His QB rating was also a LOT higher with Gronk in the lineup.  But a guy in a late-30s can't be considered a lock to continue to perform...I don't care who he is. 

And yes, they are in full win-now mode.  That was shown conclusively when they brought in Revis. 

He's back with them. I have a friend who works for the Jets who said it was some sort of anxiety/panic attack...but who knows

Rumor monger Manish Mehta is intimating he (Patterson) went AWOL cause he was annoyed at dropping on the depth chart.  Not that I trust Mehta but if that's true there shouldn't even be any debate about cutting him.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The QB rating thing is tricky...the first year of that four-year period (36 TD and 4 INT) was based on good fortune...he WAS good that year, but he could've had 8-10 picks easily...opposing DBs dropped some easy INTs.  Last season, he and his receivers clearly weren't on the same page.  His QB rating was also a LOT higher with Gronk in the lineup.  But a guy in a late-30s can't be considered a lock to continue to perform...I don't care who he is. 

And yes, they are in full win-now mode.  That was shown conclusively when they brought in Revis. 

I know it's not fashionable to say this in the stat obsessed world these days, but the great QBs will win a lot of games in every season until they can't.  (This is different from the number of Super Bowl wins, which has a much more significant luck factor).   Brady (and Belichek) led teams, as far back as I can remember, are always good for at least ten wins regardless of who is on the roster at any given time.  So until Brady physically starts to decline in a signficant way, I see no reason why that won't continue.   Then the question becomes is whether you think any other team in the AFC East is at least a ten win (or more likely eleven) team, which is what it would take to at least have the same record as the Patriots without regard to tie breakers.  I just don't see it.  I expect the Dolphins to go 7-9.  With a few significant injuries, they could be as bad as 5-11.  I don't know enough to make a prediction for the Jets and Bills, except to say that I think ten wins for either of them is a stretch.

Otherwise, the thing that sucks about rooting against the Patriots is that they're always a win now team. 

I would say I'm mostly sold on Geno. I like his work ethic, he's supposedly a very heavy student of the game when it comes to homework and film prep. He can make all the throws, he can run it, he's read defenses much better this pre-season.

JETS_zps3eb7a97c.png

Try as hard as I can to WANT to like Geno.. I just can't get past these 3 games in-a-row from last season. The organization really needs to explain wtf happened.. and "rookie brain fart" just ain't gonna cut for me.

If he was dealing with some family\personal issue, fine. If he was playing hurt or through some undisclosed injury, that's fine too. But you got to tell me something.. anything, besides "just a bad stretch" of weeks. There are bad games in the NFL.. and then there are REALLY BAD GAMES. These games were putrid.. the worst performance I've ever seen by a QB in my entire life. (not withstanding, we finished 8-8.. really makes you think what might have been with this team)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid276.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fkk10%2Fjoe99sam%2FJetsVSColtsPreseason2014HIGHLIGHTS_zps72b12010.mp4&title=">

I'm just very concerned seeing a string of games that bad boomerang back from GS.

Apparently Samuel is a long shot to be signed because of age.. and asking price.

..the only thing I can think of is that Idzik is waiting on a trade, and\or a Champ Bailey player being cut after this weekend. If neither happens.. I will be extremely upset if the Jets don't go out and sign SOMEONE. You got proven players like Asante Samuel & Quinton Jammer out there available with 20+ million to spend.. and you ain't gonna bring one of them in?!? Unacceptable.. sorry. 

Edited by Beezer34

Oh yea. That stretch was repulsive and I was openly questioning his ability to play the game at this level back then. 

Something HAS to happen or else Idzik is going to really feel the heat. We're playing Manning, Brady (x2) Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler this year. Guys like Marshall and Jeffrey will get 200 yards apiece on us if we don't at least try to patchwork this secondary available. I know he's been criticized at moving at a glacial pace with little urgency...but if he doesn't pick up at least 1 guy (I would go for 2) it would be gross negligence.

Something HAS to happen or else Idzik is going to really feel the heat. We're playing Manning, Brady (x2) Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler this year. Guys like Marshall and Jeffrey will get 200 yards apiece on us if we don't at least try to patchwork this secondary available. I know he's been criticized at moving at a glacial pace with little urgency...but if he doesn't pick up at least 1 guy (I would go for 2) it would be gross negligence.

problem is everyone thats avail is very old. jammer and sameul are both in wheelchairs. the jets would be better off giving a young kid a shot

Oh yea. That stretch was repulsive and I was openly questioning his ability to play the game at this level back then. 

On the Jets board I sometimes post on/lurk they keep harping on rollover cap money and how the Jets need to save cap space to re-up Mo and others.  Problem I have with this rationale is the Jets were supposedly in on every corner known to man and came up short, it's not like saving cap space was the only reason they didn't go sign someone.  They didn't even bring in patchwork vets like Flowers or Samuel.

problem is everyone thats avail is very old. jammer and sameul are both in wheelchairs. the jets would be better off giving a young kid a shot

Last season, the Jets signed fan-favorite Braylon Edwards to a 1 yr *prove it* contract. He was enthusiastic at the opportunity to play with rookie Geno Smith, and help the young player get more acclimated to the NFL. Braylon was sharp, he was motivated. He came in 18 pounds lighter to be a quicker, more elusive player. Yet despite the fact that he had a great training camp and an impressive preseason.. Braylon never got the chance to prove it, due to a “youth movement” the Jets opted to go with instead. On cut day, the Jets front office explained to their fans why it made more sense to go with players like: Ryan Spadola, Clyde Gates, and Stephen Hill.. and thus, Braylon was released. The result? -- Ryan Spadola, Clyde Gates, and Stephen Hill COMBINED for: 468 yrds & 1 TD last season.

By the time Tuesday morning rolls around, all 3 players will be unemployed UFA’s this season (take that to the bank) and seem bound for wonderful career(s) in the CFL. I’m not certain how well Braylon Edwards would have done had he made the cut on the 2013 New York Jets. But something tells me he would’ve had at least one touchdown pass. :thumbsup: 

..the point! 10x out of 10.. I’ll take the experienced veteran, playing with a gigantic chip on his shoulder who has something to prove.. over the doe eye’d rookie, who looks great against 3rd stringers in the preseason.. but is in over his head when the real lights are on.

Edited by Beezer34

https://mobile.twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/505862047913897984

Ian Rappaport speculating that the Jets are interested in Champ Bailey.. and it could basically come down between either us or Baltimore.

John Idzik, who seemingly dropped the ball on DRC, Davis, Revis, Talib, Cromartie, Samuel, and Flowers.. finally poised to sign someone @ Corner? Or will the long list of CB strikeouts continue? #StayTuned