Prust suspended for Game 4

ghdi

Add to that the fact that all Boston sports teams have an extreme bandwagon component and that's even more true. (Everyone watches regardless of how much or little they care about any of the teams)

Oh yeah. First time I went up for Bruins-Rangers was march of 07. Celtics had a game the night before, they were in dead last in the East. I stayed right by the arena and I asked the hotel bell man about tickets, and how much they would cost. He laughed and said, "You have a pair of sneakers with you? They might let you play." Following year they won it all and you couldn't get tickets for less than double face. Same with the Bruins. One year I went up there when they weren't having a good season, and unless you were a die-hard hockey fan, you wouldn't have even known they had a game that day. It was quite pathetic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

re: ratings. Yes, Having the Rangers in the finals will drive the numbers but LA is NOT a good hockey TV ratings market. It's a big media market, but not a hockey market. LA (and quite possibly NY should that come to pass) won't touch Boston's numbers last year.

LA is a sports town that loves its teams (especially when they do well) and should LA make the finals, every sports bar in LA will be filled with casual fans watching the Kings game.

yeah, it is definitely not. Part of it, is weeknight cup games will begin at 5 which doesn't help. I am sure though, Bettman and his Yes men are seeing it as untapped potential. With the Clippers now out, the Lakers about to get knocked out, the Dodgers are doing real well, but still early, they see it as a chance to create some new fans.

i agree totally - furthermore, where i think you'll see LA get a bump is next year from this year's success - unless of course the league is in an extended lockout (i think some form of lockout is inevitable).

yeah, it is definitely not. Part of it, is weeknight cup games will begin at 5 which doesn't help. I am sure though, Bettman and his Yes men are seeing it as untapped potential. With the Clippers now out, the Lakers about to get knocked out, the Dodgers are doing real well, but still early, they see it as a chance to create some new fans.

If the league is smart they'll at least give LA fans a bone and have two of the home games on a weekend (Friday-Saturday-Sunday), so they can attend. Watching at 5 is a little different than having to go to a game at 5.