Marty turned down millions again?

NJDevs4978

This was just a throwaway part of a larger article, but I saw it posted on HF:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/15/bettman-the-face-of-frustration

Brodeur has been telling people he can’t believe how much money both the Maple Leafs and the Blackhawks were offering him this summer — somewhere in the neighbourhood of two years, $16 million — be he chose to take far less and remain in New Jersey

As insane as it sounds I wouldn't be shocked if it was true. Just look at all the money that's been thrown around this offseason and how desperate Chicago (who thinks they're a goalie away from a Cup team) or Toronto (who wants to make the playoffs for the first time in a thousand years) are for a goalie.

Edited by NJDevs4978

This was just a throwaway part of a larger article, but I saw it posted on HF:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/15/bettman-the-face-of-frustration

As insane as it sounds I wouldn't be shocked if it was true. Just look at all the money that's been thrown around this offseason and how desperate Chicago (who thinks they're a goalie away from a Cup team) or Toronto (who wants to make the playoffs for the first time in a thousand years) are for a goalie.

Im not sure I can believe that. 8 mill per year?!? That would make him the highest paid in the league by far, and as much as I love Marty, he MAY barely sneak his way on a top-ten list. Im 100% sure he left money on the table, but that much? Nahh

I just can't believe any GM would be desperate enough to give a 40 year old Brodeur $8 million per season over 2 years. If that is true, then its just another example of why I'm in the NHLPA's corner during this lockout.

The sad thing is, after the way some of these GM's and owners spend money, I COULD believe it. They way they look at it, they are getting a living legend coming off of a Cup finals appearance. It's classic hype-based over-payment, like Weber, Suter, and Parise all enjoyed this year. And like you, yes, it solidifies why I'm with the players on this one.

Keep dreaming about what, GetReal? Are you accusing Marty of lying?

Since you asked: one might call it exaggerating but being honest and real I would call it lying. It's possible someone suggested they might offer that amount for 2 years but the reality is it didn't happen in a contract offer. That's my opinion what's your thoughts?

47% of the people don't pay taxes and depend on the government, the reality is that 7,000 millionaires don't pay taxes and some of them are taking unemployment payments, lye or truth?.

Edited by LucifersDog

Since you asked: one might call it exaggerating but being honest and real I would call it lying. It's possible someone suggested they might offer that amount for 2 years but the reality is it didn't happen in a contract offer. That's my opinion what's your thoughts?

My thought is, a few of the previous posters were right. It's your classic overpayment for past performance and a big name, not necessarily for current worth, and some of that overpayment was probably an incentive to leave the only organization he's played for. The media buzz and guaranteed brisk jersey sales for the new team would have been quite beneficial to any team lucky enough to lure Marty away from the Devils.

What reason would Marty have to fabricate a "look a me, I had an opportunity for a huge payday and I turned it down" story? How many people honestly expected Marty to leave New Jersey?

47% of the people don't pay taxes and depend on the government, the reality is that 7,000 millionaires don't pay taxes and some of them are taking unemployment payments, lye or truth?.

They pay out unemployment in lye? How much soap can you make with an unemployment payment's worth of lye?

I don't necessarily think Brodeur is lying, but the numbers he's thrown out are staggering and likely to have been rounded up by him.

Not to get too political Lucifer, but 46.8% of Americans actually don't pay Federal Income Tax after they take their deductions at the end of the year and receive back their tax returns. That's a fact. What Romney didn't clarify is that only 26% of Americans pay absolutely no tax to the federal government as the remainder still pay SS, Medicare, etc.