Could Newy Be On The Way Out?

sundstrom

Didn't read or hear anything. Just wondering if maybe what we need Joe to do isn't gonna happen. Perhaps we might deal him back out west for something. This isn't based on a game or two. He really hasn't fit all season long. He's been called upon to be a 1A center and he hasn't produced at all.

Could he be added to Danton to bring back something? Obviously, we're looking for a top line center in return. Does SJ cut the cord on Marleau and look to further shake things up? Would Gretz take him out in the desert for Doan perhaps?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The further and further the season does go on I wouldnt mind neuwy being traded cause we can still get great stuff for him. But we are indeed 13-6-1-2 and arent in need for a shakeup. And also, how would Langy react to Neuwy being traded?? I wouldn't want to make him angry or sad right now since he's on fire.

Trading Joe while he's in this slump won't get the Devils very much in return.

Fortunately, the Devils' solid record means a trade isn't urgent at this time.

It's probably best to wait and see if Joe can break out of the slump in the next several weeks.

Trading Joe while he's in this slump won't get the Devils very much in return.

Fortunately, the Devils' solid record means a trade isn't urgent at this time.

It's probably best to wait and see if Joe can break out of the slump in the next several weeks.

As usual the SBT hits the nail on the head.

Nothing further to add to this thread :)

I don't agree that he has no trade value right now, it might not be at an all time high, but other teams watch our games and know that Nieuwendyk isn't a pylon out there, he's making plays, getting assists and playing solid hockey. I think that if Lou quietly let other GM's know that because he doesn't seem to be thriving in the East he is available for the right deal, but would come off the table if his play improved, he would get offers. He's not going to return Marleau or anybody like that, but I think he still has decent value.

The same could be said of Elias, hes mired in a terrible slump. Though I totally agree that Nieuwendyk never did fit into that Devils uniform...

About Langy fitting in, I think hes been here long enough, hes bonded, ready to move on.

Nieuwendyk is still thinking about Modano and the triple lutzes he does on the way to the goal (amazing player, lets trade for him).

Unfortunately the timing is bad to trade Nieuwy. It would appear that he doesn't fit in with the Devils could be age. He has had enough time to demonstrate if he can get his game in order and he hasn't, so it's time to trade. But what can he bring? I agree with Triumph, RIGHT NOW, he doesn't have any trade value and to think that he could be packaged with Danton and bring somone worthwhile to the Devils is also incorrect. Who wants that package today, a problem on and off the ice and a problem scorer.

I think the package will have to be much bigger, like add Nieder and then a center will come that can help the Devils.

Elias is in a slump because the Devils don't have two offensive players that can match up with Elias. Elias has speed, and passing he sees a lot of ice, the players that the devils have can't get there in time or don't see the play unfolding. They don't anticipate what is going to happen next and aren't ready to excute when playing with Elias. Gomez has never worked out with him. Nieuwy isn't the answer. This chemistry that was there with Arnott and Sykora is going to be had to come by for the Devils because of the money situation. I see Elias being traded in the future because Devils can't or won't get the players need to re create an "A" line. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop, oh yes you can, but it is awful.

GetReal - maybe Elias has been spoiled by the success of the A line, just like me (and many fans) also have. It was a treat to see them play, but that may be the only time in our lives that the Devils had the best line in the NHL; to spend our lives hoping for a clone of that line might not be feasable. Maybe Elias is hoping for that same chemistry with new linemates, but IMHO it will never happen.

And SC Devs Fan if you're correct that it will never happen again, then Elias will be traded.

I personally think it can happen but not with 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players. Elias in my book is still a 1st line player, on offense, the only one on the persent Devils team. It's up to Lou, if he wants an "A" line and a 2nd strong offensive line. Present financial problems say it won't and can't happen so I see Lou trading Elias for a bunch of 2nd & 3rd line players. Elias will demand a trade if something doesn't happen after this season or maybe sooner, but he knows Lou so I doubt he will start the trade issue. It will happen cause he won't earn his salary and Lou could use the salary cut.

It's too bad, Elias has so much potential and so much talent.

What kind of sense does that make?

There's no 1st line players, so Elias can't fit in? Since when was Jason Arnott a first line player? Since when do players need '1st line players' to play? Could I have another example from another team where a '1st line player' couldn't fit in with other linemates? I have plenty of examples to the contrary.. let's see.. McAmmond-Conroy-Iginla, Bartecko-Handzus-Demitra.. X-Kozlov-Bure..

The Devils have no reason to deal Elias. Elias tends to be a streaky scorer, and he tends to be a bit of a slow starter.. last year he went through a similar funk in November.

Gomez is also a "1st line player."

God, I hope that Nieuwy is on his way out. I have never been so disgusted with a Devils player or a trade like I am with Nieuwy. :puke:

He's been here 37 games and has managed to get a grand total of 4 goals. 4 Freaking Goals! Way to go Nieuwendick :clap: ! I don't care how much of a 'nice guy' he is off the ice, if he's not getting the results for his hefty salary, ship his ass out. Unfortunately, we'll probably have to wait until the deadline to deal him to a contender that would overpay for an old worthless soon to be UFA. Blah, hopefully Lou can sucker someone into taking him before then.

looking back, i wonder if the arnott deal was a good one. we all agreed that we needed a change. arnott was (and still is) a soft player who rarely used his size. Langenbrunner has been an excellent addition. But Newy has really done nothing since his arrival. I'm telling you...I think if he was sent back out west, we would get decent value back. I wonder if Colorado would take Newy and Danton + for Vrbata and Tanguay? And I still think that something could happen with SJ.

Nieuwendyk would not bring back Tanguay.

Why would the Avs want Nieuwendyk? And for Vrbata and Tanguay? Sorry, if Nieuwendyk is scoring 2 goals in 20 games, people will not think it has anything to do with West vs. East.. but that it has to do with Nieuwendyk's age.

Nieuwendyk is a UFA and all of our postseason success rests on him. We would not get anything of equal value for him, either now nor in the future. I think he should be given 20 more games before the Devils even think of dealing him. And his past postseason success alone says that he should be kept.

And hey, if he keeps this up then has a good postseason.. we could sign him for less.

sundstrom you are making a good point, I saw the "+" and there needs to be additional Devils offerings for anyone to bite with Nieuwy and Danton.

Triumph, we choose to disagree about Gomez. IMO he doesn't belong on the 1st line but certainly on the 2nd. I do understrand your point about other than 1st line players on the same line.

I guess I believe that the combination of Gomez & Elias last season and this has proven not to work. ittle G is out of place with Elias style which he isn't using because of the talent or lack there of he is playing with to date.

Sykora and Arnott knew their job, where each other was at all times, this is what Elias needs to become a star again. Not someone in front of the net that's small like Little G. I'll give you the point that G has been scoring but that won't last as other teams pick up on him.

so I just think that Elias need a cetain type of talent to play with and time won't heal that this season. He will be traded if they can't find the right guys which aren't on the Devils rooster as we speak. If they bother to look.

Arnott had an attitude problem which was about Stevens and Lou, same with Sykora. Arnott was a bad trade. Breaking up the "A" Line was a bad move. Sykora was a bad trade to date. Sykora is much better than Friessen and Tver hasn't produced offensively and is a risk on defense at times.

You're right GR, it was a huge mistake breaking up the A line. After all, look what they did last year. They definitely knew their job too, which is why they went about 15 games with 4 goals between them. I guess they forgot where each other were on the ice?

Gomez will be a first line player at some point in his career. He leads the Devils in points and will be a player whose talents are a notch below Doug Weight. To me, he definitely looked faster this year.

Elias doesn't need a certain kind of talent to play with, no one does. Give me the name of one other player in the league who needs a certain type of player to play with.

All three players from the Arnott line are struggling this year, and all three young players who signed big contracts in the offseason are struggling. I will give Elias another 20 games before I even think about posting nonsense about dealing him.

Maybe I'm wearing Devil colored glasses, but both Friesen and Niewy seem so close to breaking out of their funk; Neiwy is always buzzing infront of the net but can't get one past the keeper. Unless we combo him with someone else to bring in a better player, I hope he stays - he never complains and has to get hot sometime - doesn't he?!?

Gomer is leading the team in points so to me he is 1st line material. Our new first line is creating magic and are learning where everyone is. Hell just watch the Flyers OT goal by Little G over and over again, no doubt that was an ALine goal. Look at Elias' numbers since being put on this line. He went from like 7 points to 14 in a matter of games. This line is for real.

Most of the Devil nucleus is young.

Gomez-Elias-Gionta are all 26 and under and can fly.

Friesen is playing with Nieuwendyk and Stevenson but can they keep up with him?

Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner are all in their late 20's and mesh well together. They can also skate very fast for a checking line. This is what makes them so tough to play against.

Berglund and Brylin are very shifty skaters and McKenzie doesn't do bad for an enforcer.

Maybe they should trade Nieuwendyk. Berglund can certainly play with Friesen and Brylin. IMO, that wouldn't be a bad 2nd line. They all have great speed and can keep up with each other.

You can then put McKenzie and Stevenson on a 4th line with another center. Maybe who they get in return for Newy.

Tri, I get to watch games. He isn't fitting in that well. I don't care if the guy has 500 goals. That means crap when he can't put the puck in the ocean and is holding back his linemates.

Berglund shouldn't be on their 4th line and neither should Brylin. If you put them together with Friesen, that might be a dangerous line.

Is it snowing by you also?

Derek, you can't believe what you just said, can you?

"I don't care if the guy has 500 goals, if he can't put the puck in the ocean..." .. well, if Nieuwendyk were a career 3 goal scorer, maybe I'd agree with you. The fact is, he's a 500 goal scorer, so I expect him to pop out of that slump. He's proven he can score.

Nieuwendyk is holding back his linemates? I guess those 5 points in 5 games are what we expect out of Turner Stevenson? And Friesen's recent surge has had nothing to do with Nieuwendyk? That line was very effective against the Red Wings and Predators and got the game winner against the Blues.

Joey N has been getting more assists lately, and it's only a matter of time before he starts scoring. Tossing him away for a 4th line center and a prospect would be silly.

Brylin shouldn't be on the 4th line, but neither should he be the second line center either.

Trusting in rookies with no 2nd line experience to step up is a big mistake. The Devils tried it last year and it backfired. If Nieuwendyk were going to be dealt, Berglund should have been getting 2nd line ice time for at least 20 games to prove that he's capable of playing on a 2nd line.

And yes, it did snow.. about four inches.