2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Good Lord Marty, the Devils won your last two starts in spite of you, not because of you. 

It's scary how delusional he sounds lately...I keep thinking he can't possibly be this oblivious as to what his current skill level is, but he still thinks it's 2003.  Does he still really think he could start 70 games and be successful, if only he was given the chance?   

Please retire at the end of the year. 

More like please let him walk.  There's no way in hell he's going to retire with quotes like these, he's going to have to be dragged out.

Hate to say it but I wish we could have a mulligan on not trading him.

Good Lord Marty, the Devils won your last two starts in spite of you, not because of you. 

It's scary how delusional he sounds lately...I keep thinking he can't possibly be this oblivious as to what his current skill level is, but he still thinks it's 2003.  Does he still really think he could start 70 games and be successful, if only he was given the chance?   

Please retire at the end of the year. 

so you still think the media are cherry picking his quotes and making it sound worst than it is? 

that his quotes/interviews are short or long... it seems pretty damn consistant to me.

so you still think the media are cherry picking his quotes and making it sound worst than it is? 

that his quotes/interviews are short or long... it seems pretty damn consistant to me.

So if I respond to this does it mean I'm obsessed with you?

I never said that about the media, re:  cherry-picking.  I said there were definitely some FANS doing that for a while (picking apart his quotes to make him look bad), and I think some fans were definitely not fair to him in the past.  I also said that I felt that he was being honest, and I was OK with that for a while, but now I'd really like him to stop, and I think a lot of people who have firmly been in Marty's camp feel the same way at this point.  He'll get a pass on "that's what makes the greats great" for only so long, but his quotes are sadly becoming more comical by the day.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

So if I respond to this does it mean I'm obsessed with you?

I never said that about the media, re:  cherry-picking.  I said there were definitely some FANS doing that for a while (picking apart his quotes to make him look bad), and I think some fans were definitely not fair to him in the past.  I also said that I felt that he was being honest, and I was OK with that for a while, but now I'd really like him to stop, and I think a lot of people who have firmly been in Marty's camp feel the same way at this point.  He'll get a pass on "that's what makes the greats great" for only so long, but his quotes are sadly becoming more comical by the day.     

at this point i'm absolutely sure Brodeur knew all along what he was doing through the media, 100%. It was not about "honesty" or wtv. Of course he's honest cause he really think what he's saying but he knows he's putting pressure on the organization to give him more starts and all, it's pretty damn clear now.

Now i might be pushing but Marty might be one of those guys that seems so freaging class and everything (i still think he is) but a big chunk of it is cause everything has been going so well for him his whole career (it was deserved too) but so many guys are like that, it's when you go through hard times that you see people's true colours, anyone who played sports long enough knows that too. When things go well there's no point of pointing fingers or bitching about this and that. And i mean, we saw through the years that Marty is ALWAYS pointing fingers, it's never his fault. 

I still love Marty and he's the reason i've been a Devils fans since im 8 years old but still, he should keep his mouth shut.

I'd like to think all goalies would do better if they played 65-70 games than 15-20, but the main thing is...you should be a very good goalie to warrant that. I hate the idea that Brodeur needs any amount of games to get going because he had success doing that back in the day. A few things:

1) Who knows if Brodeur playing 72 games was optimal. It was done and he was good, but whose to say from 99-08, he'd be better suited playing 55-65 games? His best statistical was in 96-97, when he played the least amount of his career (doesn't include injured seasons)

2) He is 42 in less than two months. What was good for you in 2000 is different than in 2014

3) Even if you did need 70 games to be at your best, there is a goalie behind you that is better than you...no matter how many games you played

Yeah there's no way Marty's retiring after this year - you can tell from his quotes that he definitely thinks he's still a capable starting goalie.  It's kinda unsettling..he's fully delusional - that quote about statistics evening out if he plays 70 games is downright scary.

Wins are not the stat goalies should be judged by Marty, it's their SV%.  He's stopping less than 90% of the shots he faces, which is downright awful.

This is going to get ugly folks.

This board is way too hard on Brodeur.  He's the face of the franchise, it's not like he's begging for the attention, he simply gets the attention because he is the face and has been for over 20 years.  I don't see it as whiny and I don't see him "pressuring" the organization.  How can you be fans of a "team-first" franchise and allow one player to "pressure" the team.  He's a GODDAMN PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE simply stating that he wants to play more.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Just because a player says he wants something damn sure doesn't mean he going to get it.  The recently posted interview with TG he is trying to defend himself and his stats.  I agree that its not easy to defend his current stats, but what is he going to say, "Yeah, my stats suck"  I see nothing wrong with him arguing that his stats would normally average out as the season goes on. 

You cannot have a team-first mentality, and then go around accusing Brodeur of pressuring the team.  He's one player and he realizes that.  Brodeur has always had a winning is the most important stat mentality and in fact, in my years of following the team, he has never talked about the other stats until now.

Edited by RizzMB30

This board is way too hard on Brodeur.  He's the face of the franchise, it's not like he's begging for the attention, he simply gets the attention because he is the face and has been for over 20 years.  I don't see it as whiny and I don't see him "pressuring" the organization.  How can you be fans of a "team-first" franchise and allow one player to "pressure" the team.  He's a GODDAMN PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE simply stating that he wants to play more.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Just because a player says he wants something damn sure doesn't mean he going to get it.  The recently posted interview with TG he is trying to defend himself and his stats.  I agree that its not easy to defend his current stats, but what is he going to say, "Yeah, I'm not playing my best hockey right now."  I see nothing wrong with him arguing that his stats would normally average out as the season goes on. 

You cannot have a team-first mentality, and then go around accusing Brodeur of pressuring the team.  He's one player and he realizes that.

i dont agree, plus tell me our coach or GM has NOT look at the name on the back when deciding who's in net all season long? Brodeur CERTAINLY got a special treatment there

i dont agree, plus tell me our coach or GM has NOT look at the name on the back when deciding who's in net all season long? Brodeur CERTAINLY got a special treatment there

That's how the business world works sometime, the person with more experience gets special treatment.  I'm not saying it's right, but I'm not going to sit here, bitch, and point the finger at Brodeur for simply wanting to play his sport.  We shouldn't be wasting time bitching and moaning when Schneider is clearly our starter, now and in the future.

Edited by RizzMB30

That's how the business world works sometime, the person with more experience gets special treatment.  I'm not saying it's right, but I'm not going to sit here, bitch, and point the finger at Brodeur for simply wanting to play his sport.  We shouldn't be wasting time bitching and moaning when Schneider is clearly our starter, now and in the future.

How is Schneider clearly the starter?  After tonight, Brodeur will have started 32 games, Schneider 34.  That doesn't seem clear to me, and given NJ's inability to divorce themselves from Brodeur, it doesn't seem like it's clear in the future either.

Brodeur can complain about playing time all he wants.  He doesn't deserve more playing time.  He deserves much less.  And if his preferred destinations really did include Pittsburgh and Los Angeles, as Chris Stevenson reported on deadline day, he's utterly lost his mind.  If he's the face of the franchise, it's a franchise content to miss the playoffs to serve one man.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

yeah but that goes for all athlete minus a few who are all set playing top minutes.

And no it's not bitching at Brodeur wanting to play his sport. It feels like bitching about a little rich girl whining cause she got a porsche  911 instead of a Ferrari for her birthday. Or bitching about that little girl who's not happy cause she's not getting anything on her sister's bday or something.

Schneider CLEARLY deserves more than 50.9% of the starts this season, and thats pretty much what he got, yet Brodeur wants more, so yeah. Thats saying he wants to play more than the best goalie, that's pretty selfish and not in the best interest of the team at all. On top of bringing up that he'd accept a trade anywhere. Not a team attitude at all.

I don't think that the Devils are catering to Brodeur's ego, as many believe.  The fact that he says that wins are the most important stat in HIS mind is a team-first mentality.  He never said that he would accept a trade anywhere.  He simply stated that he has some control/say in where he may end up, is not going against the team mentality.  I didn't realize that Brodeur had received so many starts. 

Also, in response to Triumph, you cannot guarantee that the Devils would be in a better position had Schneider had say, even ten more starts than Brodeur with the way the team has played.  And simply blaming one person(Brodeur) for missing the playoffs is not catering to this team-first mentality.  Actually, blaming just Brodeur for the Devils missing the playoffs is asinine. 

Goalie Martin Brodeur will start again; it will be the first time he's started consecutive games since Dec. 31 and Jan. 3.  (Nhl.com)
If I'm going to bitch about a players ice time, its Stephen Gionta, not Brodeur.

Edited by RizzMB30

I don't think that the Devils are catering to Brodeur's ego, as many believe.  The fact that he says that wins are the most important stat in HIS mind is a team-first mentality.  He never said that he would accept a trade anywhere.  He simply stated that he has some control/say in where he may end up, is not going against the team mentality.  I didn't realize that Brodeur had received so many starts. 

Also, in response to Triumph, you cannot guarantee that the Devils would be in a better position had Schneider had say, even ten more starts than Brodeur. 

If you look at the numbers when it comes to stopping pucks...yes they do suggest the Devils would be in a better position had he played more

The Devils have bailed Brodeur out a lot this year. He is a .898 goaltender who get 3+ goals a game of support. If you switch goal support...Brodeur would have fewer than 10 years. They win in spite of him most times. It's just dumb luck.

Brodeur has cost this team points this year. Calgary, Edmonton, the outdoor game, the Blue Jacket gag job in mid December. He blew a 4-1 lead to a bad team Saturday night and he was bailed out. He blew multiple leads to Detroit right before the deadline...and they bailed him out. Schneider was great against the Capitals. We scored 0 for him

To be honest if you're getting 3+ goals a game of support, 16-11-4 is not that good. You'd expect at least 19-8-4 with that kind of help

Edited by '7'

Volchenkov is really better than Salvador, and younger at that. We'll see how the season finishes, but I imagine Lou uses the amnesty on one of them. An interesting scenario would be getting rid of Sal, re-signing Fayne and Zidlicky, and trading Larsson, perhaps for Evander Kane or Edmonton's first round pick if they're not in a position to draft Ekblad, who I would assume they would rather have than Larsson. That leaves you with a defense of Greene, Merrill, Volchenkov, Zidlicky, Fayne, Gelinas and a cheap dependable defenseman to step in for Gelinas if need be (could be Harrold). After his deal is over, you can reasonably hope that Santini can replace Volchenkov, and that Severson can eventually replace Zidlicky, or Fayne. In the meantime, we would either be getting immediate forward help for Larsson, or perhaps a very good forward prospect.

Just throwing it out there, but something's gotta give.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volchenkov is really better than Salvador, and younger at that. We'll see how the season finishes, but I imagine Lou uses the amnesty on one of them. An interesting scenario would be getting rid of Sal, re-signing Fayne and Zidlicky, and trading Larsson, perhaps for Evander Kane or Edmonton's first round pick if they're not in a position to draft Ekblad, who I would assume they would rather have than Larsson. That leaves you with a defense of Greene, Merrill, Volchenkov, Zidlicky, Fayne, Gelinas and a cheap dependable defenseman to step in for Gelinas if need be (could be Harrold). After his deal is over, you can reasonably hope that Santini can replace Volchenkov, and that Severson can eventually replace Zidlicky, or Fayne. In the meantime, we would either be getting immediate forward help for Larsson, or perhaps a very good forward prospect.

There's no way the Devils can get anything like that for Adam Larsson.  Evander Kane is a star.  Adam Larsson's going to be a good player and I don't think we've seen the last of him this year, but you're not going to get someone like Evander Kane for him.

IMO, the reason we haven't traded Larsson is because there is no value in doing so. At this point there is no one he can bring here that will be more beneficial to the team than having a young defenseman who still has plenty of time to turn into a good player.

There's no way the Devils can get anything like that for Adam Larsson. Evander Kane is a star. Adam Larsson's going to be a good player and I don't think we've seen the last of him this year, but you're not going to get someone like Evander Kane for him.

Kane had the 30 goal year a few years ago, but he's always has been significantly less than a point a game. He's no more a star than Van Riemsdyke, who got dealt for less. Plus, there are always grumblings out of Winnipeg about attitude issues.

So far as Edmonton, they've made it clear that their first round pick is in play, and they need defensemen in the worst way. The top of the draft figures to have Ekblad, and then a whole bunch of forwards.

Kane had the 30 goal year a few years ago, but he's always has been significantly less than a point a game. He's no more a star than Van Riemsdyke, who got dealt for less. Plus, there are always grumblings out of Winnipeg about attitude issues.

So far as Edmonton, they've made it clear that their first round pick is in play, and they need defensemen in the worst way. The top of the draft figures to have Ekblad, and then a whole bunch of forwards.

But you discount the Flyers being dumb and not realizing Schenn was garbage like everyone in Toronto did. Aside from maybe Richards and Carter if Couturier can ever learn to score, who have the Flyers traded away and gotten equal value for? Also, JVR was always hurt and was paid for basically half a season of awesome play. He wasn't this in Philly 

Edited by DH26

But you discount the Flyers being dumb and not realizing Schenn was garbage like everyone in Toronto did. Aside from maybe Richards and Carter if Couturier can ever learn to score, who have the Flyers traded away and gotten equal value for?

Has Winnipeg's management proven to be geniuses, and when was the last time that franchise made the playoffs?

And ultimately the Flyers did pretty well in the Carter deal, if only by virtue of getting Vorachek. And otherwise, no one was complaining about the Richards and Carter deals when the Flyers destroyed the Penguins in the 2012 playoffs, and actually finished the regular season better than the Devils. Carter was pretty ineffective in Columbus, and it wasn't like LA was a crappy team before Richards and Carter got there.

They wouldn't have made the playoffs without Carter. They were like a bubble team till they got him.

Has Winnipeg's management proven to be geniuses, and when was the last time that franchise made the playoffs?

And ultimately the Flyers did pretty well in the Carter deal, if only by virtue of getting Vorachek. And otherwise, no one was complaining about the Richards and Carter deals when the Flyers destroyed the Penguins in the 2012 playoffs, and actually finished the regular season better than the Devils. Carter was pretty ineffective in Columbus, and it wasn't like LA was a crappy team before Richards and Carter got there.

not related to previous discussions but i really think Zids role on the team is undervalued. Yeah he's ALWAYS taking bad penalties and he's pretty slow but damn he's be bringing up the puck and making great creative plays in the offensive zone. Honestly without him im not sure where the devils would be.

And this is not simply based on last game. He brings a dimension that no other dmen on the team can bring so far. I really hope we re-sign him for next season. I'd want to see Harrold and Salvador gone next season

Edited by SterioDesign

I honestly think fayne is gone this offseason and we re-sign zidlicky. Fayne will be one of the most sought after ufa defenseman on July 1, so there will be a bidding war, and it might just be in Lou's best interest to let him go rather than pay over $4mil per and still have a logjam on the right side with trouble finding a spot for Larsson.

The alternative would be to amnesty Volch or sal like you said and use that space on fayne's raise but I just don't see Lou doing that.

Edited by dmann422

They wouldn't have made the playoffs without Carter. They were like a bubble team till they got him.

LA had been underachieving and got new life when they fired their coach.  Don't get me wrong, Carter helped the Kings a lot.  But you can't really characterize him as an elite player that made a bad team a Stanley Cup winner.  But the point otherwise was that Philly did not really get fleeced in the Carter deal, or really the Richards deal for that matter.