GDT SCF GAME 1: NEW JERSEY DEVILS VS. KINGS

ZeroGravityFat

Non-game question. Where was the usual pre-game pomp? Do they not do that anymore.... I was looking forward to individual player intros, lasers, lights, flames coming out of gantries, etc. It was pretty much the same thing as usual.

Good question. I guess we'll have to wait and see if LA does anything special on Monday. And if they do, then perhaps the Devils dropped the ball -- or maybe they pruposely cut that stuff out in order to maximize profits and reduce their debt, haha.

On the plus side, Arlette must be happy. The whole country got to see her sing the National Anthem.

Edited by 95Crash

Come to think of it, they put Chris Snee and his kids, Edge, and a few former Devils players on the jumbotron, and used the video of Antrell Rolle of the "Super Bowl Champion New York Giants" to pump up the crowd. But I didn't see a shot of Rex and his family throughout the game.

they couldn't fit him in.

A) Rex has been photographed in a Canes jersey and I think a Flyers one too...not sure he's a 'real' Devils fan anyway

B) They clearly are trying to capitalize on the Giants' SB win by showing them on the jumbotron, as opposed to the Jets who would probably get booed. 208 almost broke out in open civil war with the mocking of the Jets during the playoffs last year :P

Non-game question. Where was the usual pre-game pomp? Do they not do that anymore.... I was looking forward to individual player intros, lasers, lights, flames coming out of gantries, etc. It was pretty much the same thing as usual.

I honestly don't remember that from 2003 but I could bother to pop in an ESPN tape of Game 1 or Game 7, amazingly I didn't miss much from what went on last night. I figured I'd be lucky to get there for the puck drop cause I had a prior commitment and couldn't start on my way there till 7:15. Of course I couldn't find a spot in the lot I normally had to park in but still wound up getting to my seat just in time for the intro video.

On the way out it was a mess though, with all the blocked off and one-way roads we wound up driving around for like a half hour after the game (after I went the wrong way trying to find the parking lot walking out). The other way is so much easier to get out of - and on top of it that lot's $5 cheaper than the one we were in last night.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Good question. I guess we'll have to wait and see if LA does anything special on Monday. And if they do, then perhaps the Devils dropped the ball -- or maybe they pruposely cut that stuff out in order to maximize profits and reduce their debt, haha.

On the plus side, Arlette must be happy. The whole country got to see her sing the National Anthem.

I feel like Arlette may be a damn jinx...

She definitely sung before Game 3 of the ECF vs Rags...LOSS

She sung last night...LOSS

I cannot remember, did she sing before Games 4 and/or 6 vs the Rags?

eventhough we lost and minus the first goal am i the only one who think Brodeur actually played better than Quick? i may be wrong but im under that impression

I don't know how you can compare

Marty made some great saves, but he let in a soft goal and was beaten on a breakaway.

Quick also made some great saves, got beaten on a fluke goal that bounced off of his own deference man, and got bailed out twice by the inability of the Devils to shoot a puck into an open net, and bailed out again by Parise using his glove instead of a stick to score.

If you want to make a comparison between Marty and Quick go here:

Marty = Automatic entry into the Hall of Fame as soon as he is eligible.

Quick = Needs 20 more seasons like this one, and a few Cups to even be considered.

I don't know how you can compare

Marty made some great saves, but he let in a soft goal and was beaten on a breakaway.

Quick also made some great saves, got beaten on a fluke goal that bounced off of his own deference man, and got bailed out twice by the inability of the Devils to shoot a puck into an open net, and bailed out again by Parise using his glove instead of a stick to score.

If you want to make a comparison between Marty and Quick go here:

Marty = Automatic entry into the Hall of Fame as soon as he is eligible.

Quick = Needs 20 more seasons like this one, and a few Cups to even be considered.

I still don't understand how being beaten on a breakaway in overtime against a talent like Kopitar is considered "bad."

I still don't understand how being beaten on a breakaway in overtime against a talent like Kopitar is considered "bad."

It's not. You got to give Kopitar credit for making a great move. Not much Marty could do there except pray it doesn't go in somehow. The first goal was stoppable, although the D needs to be stronger on the puck and the other D/C need to pick up the player in theslot waiting for the pass. Marty played very well last night. If they could have tapped in some open net shots (Clarkson x 2, Parise, and Fayne), they would have won last night and the OT breakaway would be a non-story.

I still feel good about our chances going forward in the series, but Game 2 is EXTREMELY important now. I want to see how LA will react when faced with adversity in these playoffs, something that they haven't had to deal with to date (very much to their credit).

It's not. You got to give Kopitar credit for making a great move. Not much Marty could do there except pray it doesn't go in somehow. The first goal was stoppable, although the D needs to be stronger on the puck and the other D/C need to pick up the player in theslot waiting for the pass. Marty played very well last night. If they could have tapped in some open net shots (Clarkson x 2, Parise, and Fayne), they would have won last night and the OT breakaway would be a non-story.

I still feel good about our chances going forward in the series, but Game 2 is EXTREMELY important now. I want to see how LA will react when faced with adversity in these playoffs, something that they haven't had to deal with to date (very much to their credit).

Well for us to see how LA will react when faced with adversity, we absolutely need to win SATURDAY. If we go down 0-2 heading back to LA we are sunkkkk....

I didn't mean to say it was bad, but goalies have been known to stop breakaways/penalty shots from talent even better than Kopitar from time to time.

Cory Schneider stopped Kopitar on a clean breakaway in round 1 with a little help from the clock.

If you gave Kopitar 10 clean breakaways/penalty shots against Marty, I can almost assure you that Marty would stop at least one of them, probably more.

He didn't stop the one that would had kept us in the game last night...

Which goes back to the original question, who played better last night, Marty or Quick?

If you pushed me for an answer, I would say Quick because he did a better job keeping the puck out of the net and won the game.

Long time lurker, first time poster;

From what I saw wednesday night, if the devils play the same way this Saturday, I'm very comfortable- they had at least 4 chances to score on a relatively open net that they didn't capitalize on...sure some adjustments could be made but no where near as many that were necessary against Philly and new york after the first games. The kings are a good team, but the devils can beat them, even if the kings adjust I think the devils (specifically PDB and co) are more than capable of countering

watching the game after work, hours after the game actually finished..

the Devils just didn't seem to have that jump in their step compared to the last couple of Rangers games..

if they hit their stride like they did against the Rangers, work out their forecheck and cycling, and finish ok, then i think they will be fine.

they just looked tired and like it was a regular season game that didnt mean much yesterday. they were lucky to stay in it.

Definitely looking for a better result saturday night!

Game 2 is extremely important, clearly. LA has been the dog all playoff long. In each of the first 3 series', they have gone up 3 games to none. They have not faced adversity at all this playoff year.

But, if any team could do it, it is the Devils. They have arguably the best goalie I have ever seen. Yes, I do put Brodeur ahead of Roy.

I will be with my son in the building at game 4. It will be his first Cup game ever...my second. It will be glorious and something that we will share for the rest of our lives.

I didn't mean to say it was bad, but goalies have been known to stop breakaways/penalty shots from talent even better than Kopitar from time to time.

Cory Schneider stopped Kopitar on a clean breakaway in round 1 with a little help from the clock.

If you gave Kopitar 10 clean breakaways/penalty shots against Marty, I can almost assure you that Marty would stop at least one of them, probably more.

He didn't stop the one that would had kept us in the game last night...

Which goes back to the original question, who played better last night, Marty or Quick?

If you pushed me for an answer, I would say Quick because he did a better job keeping the puck out of the net and won the game.

his face down leg spread almost worked, but he didnt get his right pad down, oh well cant kill him. sal might have been better off taking the middle when zids fell, again, shoulda coulda. kings are a good team and well coached on our breakouts, but hopefully our depth keeps us in it. cant let their 3rd and 4th lines score period!

kov looks shot to hell, is NBC not allow to directly say it??? he's hurt, bad!

I am looking forward to game 2. That way, when the controversial plays come about, we can debate. :-)

Before the playoffs, Dustin Brown wasn't hated all that much around the league. Now, I think that Vancouver, St. Louis, and Phoenix all want his head on a platter. lol

I am looking forward to game 2. That way, when the controversial plays come about, we can debate. :-)

Before the playoffs, Dustin Brown wasn't hated all that much around the league. Now, I think that Vancouver, St. Louis, and Phoenix all want his head on a platter. lol

I've always been a big Dustin Brown fan. I love the way he plays. Talk to me in a week or two to see if that's still the case lol.

I've always been a big Dustin Brown fan. I love the way he plays. Talk to me in a week or two to see if that's still the case lol.

Too funny. Well, he is indeed a hard hitter...or has become a hard hitter.