Will Rags Ever Rebuild

devildoggie

Hope you dont mind, but I posted this over at MSG and NJ.com. I am posting it here for those of you who may not post anywhere else. I am interested in what your take is.

IMO, the Rangers seriously need to rebuild with youth!

Rangers management doesn't give Rangers fans enough credit when they operate under the assumption that the fans would not tolerate a crappy team for a couple of years while rebuilding. In my opinion, MSG has got it all wrong. Rangers fans are diehards! They want a good product and they will certainly watch crappy hockey for another few years while waiting for the youngsters to mature.

Seriously, think about it!! They have been watching crappy hockey for 5 years now. Wouldn't it have been better if during those 5 years the team was re-tooling, re-building and allowing the youth to mature? Would NYR fans stand for a serious rebuilding no matter how painful?

Yeah, it 's the Rangers so I won't lose any sleep over whatever happens but it's kind of like watching a freak show. It's funny that big market Philadelphia can get it right (for the most part) yet, big market NYR trips and stumbles all over themselves trying to compete.

I have to disagree with you on Philly getting it right, they trade away a lot of their young talent before they get the chance to prove themselves.

New York can't rebuild right now its to late, I don't see the fans waiting an total of ten more years to get deep into the playoffs again. But at this point, it is two seasons removed from the lockout pending and there is no real point to drastically change anything until they see what the proposed Cap does to the league.

I just hope they extend Sathers contract so we don't have to worry about them getting better.

Yeah but with this comes more financial problems for the NHL.

Anyone picked up on the fact that one of the things that irritates me most about sports is how seemingly-carelessly prospects are traded around for immediate talent? I hate it. I'd much rather see my team struggle for 2 years while developing young players than see them trade away for immedaite talent.

I have to disagree with you on Philly getting it right, they trade away a lot of their young talent before they get the chance to prove themselves.

I kind of agree but what I was referring to was the fact that the Flyers, like the Devils, are constantly near the top of the divison. In that respect, the Flyers most certainly got it right IMO.

IG: I agree with you, but I don't think the Rangers will have that kind of pocket book the next few years. They got railed by everyone about Holik this year and Cablevision is not doing very well.

They didn't get Mike Grier (via trade) because they could afford him the same with Amonte.

Great post Devildoggie. You summed up how most Ranger fans feel. Most would like to see a full rebuild with prospects becoming first priority. Not this quick fix garbage turning over half a roster because it never works.

I won't be posting much on them or hockey for a while because I'm fed up.

I believe the Rangers fans would cope with an actual rebuilding process. The problem is that the media wouldn't let them do it. Look how the Devils organization is getting pounded in the press for lack of goal scoring! The reporters would have no big names to interview and make themselves feel important. Most game reports can be written from a close reading of the box score. These guys don't analyze anything. They just want to schmooze with the stars.