2012-2013 Devils: The Juggernaut Cometh!

CarpathianForest

I've been posting this many times but look how well this team while being about 70% healthy. No doubt Kovy, Zids and Clarkie are all injured to some extent. I thin many up and down the roster are injured to some degree. Despite the injuries they beat the Cats, Flyers and Rags and almost made an historic comeback in the SCF. The Rags were healthy and we beat them and the Kings were healthy and we put up a sold fight. So that being said, if we did this well when we were only 70%, imagine how good we'll be next season at 90 to 100% healthy. So if most of the same cast returns next season I believe there is a very solid chance that we'll be cup contenders.

there will be changes. hopefully they aren't major which a parise defection would be. but if parise stays, there's a ton to work with and a strong season is in the cards for next year.

actually - i was going to write an offseason thought but i can't put the effort into it.

thinking to next year, it's gonna be henrique, zajac, kovalchuk and a very very good defense that gets us where we need to be. if parise is part of it, all the better. 10.1/70.1 - take the under and he's here.

This season has proved that all you have to do is be decent in the regular season, decent enough to get into the playoffs, and that being hot at the right time with a good team is better than being cold at the wrong time with an amazing team.

That's always been the case!

• Like 1

I hope Marty does stay now... why? Because this is actually the best part of hockey. He never had the climb up really. He was too young and sort of dropped into a team on the final top rung... but this... SEE????? This is just my favorite part of hockey. When you're on the right track and you know it and there is real work ahead of you and -- it's just, for me, what life is all about. It's not adversity... it's learning and growing and invigorating. I've written here many times that I missed those times with the growing Islanders. I felt so lucky because their climb was just long enough and their success was verification that I was indeed watching the building a an amazing foundation.

The latter half of the 20th century Devils taught me that it's not so sucky to be on top and fighting to stay there either. I loved that lesson. But this is ... it's life to me. Marty is just so blessed -- it's unbelievable.

I feel like the Rangers fans who are posting how sad Marty is now... what are they thinking? That it's true? They're just so far off the mark of reality --- part of me honestly wonders how they can have decent lives, you know? If their vision is so skewed, so limited -- if they're for real? Thisis why I'd never be able to really have meaningful relations friendship whatever with a Rangers fan like that. I miss Derek. and I also think we can be real a$$holes when we don't give Derek-like Rangers props when they're really close to getting a real hockey team on ice. There are fatal flaws but their improving only makes out team better and makes hockey better.

The only annoying thing for me about the Kings win is the as shoes (as shoes... nice apple -- nice euphemism for butthole %@#$* I hate autocorrect) who think they've earned this. The Flyers trio for example. I don't give a fun (a fun? That was my grandmothers euphemism...) about on ice stuff if your off ice behavior sucks -- because it's not sustainable and you fvck EVERYTHING up the next year. BUT I'm really happy for some guys who really put in the effort for HOCKEY not themselves. Chances are the fvckwads doing all the jawing are the unworthy.

Edited by Pepperkorn

This season has proved that all you have to do is be decent in the regular season, decent enough to get into the playoffs, and that being hot at the right time with a good team is better than being cold at the wrong time with an amazing team.

I just want to amend the train of thought --- it's not just being decent... it's allowing flaws taking chances making a choice you think is brilliant in game situation so you see how actually stupid you are and that you have to trust people. It's for the sake of learning. Making mistakes before it's too late. Some things you can only learn in real life situations. you can't replicate the pressure of being on the brink of a historic come-back to win the Stanley Cup.... but lots of the little stuff -- you can figure out how to squeak out a win or how you'll handle something when it hits you full-on, on steroids in the playoffs.

No the regular season is not about winning and losing - it's about preparing.

Kovy clearly was hurting throughout the playoffs and was a shell of his normal self. That's what made this run even more amazing. Guys like Salvador, Gionta, Henrique, and Carter really stepped up at key times. Elias had a rough playoffs, and Parise just couldn't do much in the finals. The depth of this roster on both F and D is what has impressed me the most these last 3 months.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

I don't know about Juggernaut.

If Parise comes back I can see this team being better next year with improved play from Josefson, Henrique, and Larsson. But I don't expect them to improve enough to counter the loss of Parise. Also, I loved Marty's postseason run. But there's still a decent chance he's horrible next year. I'd be surprised if the Devils missed the playoffs but a juggernaut seems overly optimistic.

its not all roses, kovy's back needs to heal, will it be chronic? Zach? sykora and clarkson scored 50 goals. where are those coming from next year. how old will patty look? we'll be tough and deep, but it will be a daily battle. scoring goals may be a problem. 2014 is a different story

There when it mattered the most = playoffs, not just the final. He was invisible in the final but not the first three rounds.

Its impressive that he managed 19pts, imagine if he was 100%.

I thought Kovy was great during the Flyers and Rangers series, and we must remember that he had key assists throughout the playoffs. He had primary assists (two amazing passes) for Zajacs and Ponis ot winners and he had the key hit on the Carter game winning goal. Hell, he even helped cause that puck go underneath Henriks pads for Henrique to bury it. I thought he had an amazing playoffs.

Edited by Zubie#8

Let's enjoy what happened, yet there will be differences next year. Veterans like Sal, Patty, and Brodeur can have big differences year-over-year at this time in their careers.

Its been fantastic seeing Brodeur respond during FLA and have a great run. Sal may be good this fall, but perhaps not. Elias has at most 50 goals left in his career, over the next 2 seasons.

If we're realistic, then we can be surprised when a Sykora nets 20, or a Clarkson gets 30. I for one hope we go a bit younger.

But that's for October, until July 1 it will be great to enjoy the accomplishments of this season

For players like Broduer it is important to remember that they may feel great now after going on a run like that where they really played well. I think a lot of older guys want to play every season until they are 50 years old but then when they look at the calendar, the training camp, all of the games and travel, the physical stuff, they all of a sudden realize that they should just hang them up.

First post on this forum! I found this gem during the playoff run but didn't want to sign up until after the playoff run due to my superstitions lol. First off I just want to say what a hell of a run this was! It got me so much more pumped up for hockey. I grew up in Delaware but moved to Fort Worth TX a couple years ago and as you can guess hockey is not very popular down here and pretty much had to battle at the bars for the television. So anyways go Devils and can't wait to see the offseason moves. By chance any devils fans on this forum from DFW area?

hockey odds are usually where you can find the best deals as its just not something vegas puts a ton of energy into. i got the devils at 50/1 last summer which was just an asinine line. it was based solely on how they finished 2011 and took absolutely nothing into account about how the team was clearly going to be remarkably better overall the following year.