The Thread Formerly Known as The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm expecting Brodeur against Florida and then throw Schneider to the actual good team on the second half of a back to back and role with Marty when the Devils win Marty in net (and then everyone says well Brodeur just wins).

This is just a perfect weekend to get greedy. 3 at the minimum (hopefully with giving two to Florida and not Tampa).

Edited by devilsrule33

The Ruutu trade also looks to be paying major dividends.  The guy is basically a younger and better version of what Zubrus is now.  And Zubrus still managed to produce when he was on the top line.  Could turn out to be this year's version of the Neal Broten trade.

The Ruutu trade also looks to be paying major dividends.  The guy is basically a younger and better version of what Zubrus is now.  And Zubrus still managed to produce when he was on the top line.  Could turn out to be this year's version of the Neal Broten trade.

Only three games, but yeah, so far so good for sure.  The Neal Broten deal was one of the best "Why not?" trades ever (though that's selling Lou short...he probably had a strong hunch Broten would produce if given the chance).  Dallas had basically made him a checker at that point...they had pretty much given up on him ever being an offensive force.  I remember the Devils not really taking off until later in the season after Broten came aboard, but he promptly put up points the minute he became a Devil...I think he had a seven-game point streak in his first seven games or something like that, after only having 4 points (no goals) in 17 games as a Star. 

I'd like to see the Devils keep taking at least 2 out of 3 and then finish the season on a winning streak of 4+ games.

Well, now they've got to win 3 in a row to get back on that 2-out-of-3 pace.  Not completely giving up yet, but 10-3-1 the rest of the way to get to 92 seems like it's too much to ask of this group. 

Re:  Cory, I still believe he can be the man and very much hope he's re-signed this offseason, but the fact is, there's been plenty of .920 guys who put up nice numbers overall, but have a way of not getting it done when needed.  Marty is obviously not what he was, but in his prime he showed multiple times that he was capable of raising his game when his team really needed him to, even if he wasn't always a save% beast.  

Maybe it's the layoff that has hurt Cory, and clearly not everything that's happened post-break has been his fault, but he has to find a way to get his team the win in a game like the one against the Panthers.  Hope he finds his game very soon, because the Devils have no prayer at all without him playing at or near his pre-Break level.   

Re:  Cory, I still believe he can be the man and very much hope he's re-signed this offseason, but the fact is, there's been plenty of .920 guys who put up nice numbers overall, but have a way of not getting it done when needed.  Marty is obviously not what he was, but in his prime he showed multiple times that he was capable of raising his game when his team really needed him to, even if he wasn't always a save% beast.  

Maybe it's the layoff that has hurt Cory, and clearly not everything that's happened post-break has been his fault, but he has to find a way to get his team the win in a game like the one against the Panthers.  Hope he finds his game very soon, because the Devils have no prayer at all without him playing at or near his pre-Break level.   

cory's a good goalie, but we've seen he has some warts. the post to post slide exposes a leaky 5 hole, his rebounds get sloppy. it seemed like the marty trade scenario screwed him up or he's just simply inconsistant. it would be nice to resign him, put finding a goalie post marty is going to be easier than finding some young goal scorers. now thats an issue

I don't know how Lou solves the young scorer problem.  I'm not a big believer in Boucher.

It's funny, Lou always seems to say he likes his teams publicly, but I think if someone handed him a detonator and said "Use this to blow up your team and start over", I think he'd do it in a heartbeat.  He'd sift through the resulting rubble and keep some key guys for sure, but I think there's a good chunk of players he'd love to wash his hands of.  Every GM has some of those guys of course, but I think Lou sometimes looks at his team and wonders how he got here. 

I would also like to see him re-signed and would like to see a full season to see how he handles carrying a team throughout the ups and downs. He didn't get that chance in Vancouver and really didn't get it this year either.

I think Cory's pre-Olympic performance is the main reason we are in the playoff race at all. I think all players are entitled to slump at some point. And it's unfortunate Cory's doing it now. But I don't see it as evidence of him not being able to get it done in the big moments. When you are carrying a team, any time you slump is the wrong time because the team needs an elite performance to be competitive.

Our offense has been carrying the team lately, but if we had a more consistent performance from certain guys throughout the year we might not be so far down in the standings to begin with.

I don't know how Lou solves the young scorer problem.  I'm not a big believer in Boucher.

It's funny, Lou always seems to say he likes his teams publicly, but I think if someone handed him a detonator and said "Use this to blow up your team and start over", I think he'd do it in a heartbeat.  He'd sift through the resulting rubble and keep some key guys for sure, but I think there's a good chunk of players he'd love to wash his hands of.  Every GM has some of those guys of course, but I think Lou sometimes looks at his team and wonders how he got here. 

What makes the scoring/forward problem worse is other than Jagr (who's essential to bring back), Ryder and Brunner we have a TON of highly-paid forwards signed for another two plus years.  They've pretty much locked themselves in long-term to most of this group.  The only lineup forwards that are FA's this year are Jagr and CBGB.  Next year it's Ryder and Brunner.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Things to be optimistic about:

Opportunity to sign Cory long term

D corps future -Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, Santini

Getting our draft pick back

Money to spend on offense

I'd like to think that Andy Greene and Mark Fayne are a part of that future D-corps as well.  Hopefully.  Otherwise, I agree.

What makes the scoring/forward problem worse is other than Jagr (who's essential to bring back), Ryder and Brunner we have a TON of highly-paid forwards signed for another two plus years.  They've pretty much locked themselves in long-term to most of this group.  The only lineup forwards that are FA's this year are Jagr and CBGB.  Next year it's Ryder and Brunner.

They haven't really locked themselves in, but that depends on their willingness to employ Dainius Zubrus as a 4th line player, because that's quickly what he's becoming.  If they're willing to move Boucher to RW (which I would hope they are, given that they do have a bunch of crap LWs signed), they could move one of Ryder or Brunner and get better that way.  Basically Ryder, Brunner, Zubrus, or Ruutu all would move, some with a little kick via retained salary, but I think someone would be interested.  The trouble with Zubrus is that he has an NTC.

• Like 1

By midseason next year I would like to see:

Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr

Matteau-Elias-Brunner

Clowe-Henrique-Boucher

Carter-Zubrus-Sislo

Before people say Matteau on the 2nd line!! Lines are just combinations of players who may fit. Matteau creates massive amounts of space for his linemates.

Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr

Matteau-Elias-Brunner

Clowe-Henrique-Boucher

Carter-Zubrus-Sislo

Before people say Matteau on the 2nd line!! Lines are just combinations of players who may fit. Matteau creates massive amounts of space for his linemates.

Forgot Stastny ;)

edit: I'm not naive enough to believe NJ is one player away from a contender but -

Ruutu - Zajac - Jagr

Henrique - Stastny - Ryder

Clowe - Elias - Boucher

Brunner - Zubrus - Matteau

- would be pretty damn good. Especially with 60 starts from Cory and one of Sal/Volch amnestied. 

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr

Matteau-Elias-Brunner

Clowe-Henrique-Boucher

Carter-Zubrus-Sislo

I agree with your comments but that is not a forward corps that's getting you into the playoffs.

Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr

Matteau-Elias-Brunner

Clowe-Henrique-Boucher

Carter-Zubrus-Sislo

Me too. That'll put them in contention for Connor McDavid.

Edited by TheRedStorm

I agree with your comments but that is not a forward corps that's getting you into the playoffs.

Maybe maybe not. Gelinas and Merrill will be a year better, Larsson will be a massive upgrade on defense and the lineup up front is much much faster with Boucher, Sislo and Matteau. If Schneider plays 60 games next season NJ will have to be pretty bad to not be in the race.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Yeah the defense corps is where the hope lies, obviously - the forwards aren't going to be great but they don't have to be.  I don't like your lines all that much Jason, Matteau might be able to make room but I don't know that he has the head for playing with Elias and Brunner, and certainly not in his 2nd full year in the pros.  

Well, now they've got to win 3 in a row to get back on that 2-out-of-3 pace.  Not completely giving up yet, but 10-3-1 the rest of the way to get to 92 seems like it's too much to ask of this group. 

In past seasons, I have been the guy calling for optimism. However, we have to be rational here. We can't expect a team that has won 43% of its games this year to finish the season by winning 71% of its games. First off, our longest winning streak of the season is 3 games, which we managed to pull off once (though the streak was against the Pens, Ducks, and Kings) and we are talking November here. 

Our best stretch of play this year went from Oct. 26 to Nov. 21 in which we won 8/12 or 66.7% of our games (though it should be mentioned that we won 6 of 8 inside this stretch).

Our last winning streak of 3 games or more came from Feb. 3 to Feb 10 of last year (5 games). We had one other 3 game winning streak that season.

It's funny, Lou always seems to say he likes his teams publicly, but I think if someone handed him a detonator and said "Use this to blow up your team and start over", I think he'd do it in a heartbeat. He'd sift through the resulting rubble and keep some key guys for sure, but I think there's a good chunk of players he'd love to wash his hands of.  

Yes, because what's better than a one-legged Anton Volchenkov trying to block shots?

Maybe maybe not. Gelinas and Merrill will be a year better, Larsson will be a massive upgrade on defense and the lineup up front is much much faster with Boucher, Sislo and Matteau. If Schneider plays 60 games next season NJ will have to be pretty bad to not be in the race.

With Schneider's record this year, if he had played 60 games at this pace we'd be far from the playoffs. Not saying he isn't the guy, but that I don't really see what you're going on here in saying that this would all but guarantee us a playoff spot.

Edited by Neb00rs