CONGRATS TO MARTY BRODEUR...NEW SHUTOUT KING #104!

ThreeCups

http://www.msg.com/devils/devils-postgame.html

Did anyone catch the post game last night where they broke out the players that played in games where Marty had his shutouts?

Did I here correctly that Elias has played in the most games that Marty had shutouts??

I looked at the above video link and all they had were the Elias/Rolston/Jacques interviews.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh omg, i am so so so excited!!! my sister and i were counting down the last minute like it was new year's eve :yay:

i feel so lucky to have been watching since his rookie season!!! i remember my very first devils game when i was about 10, and our seats were really good, right near brodeur's net for 2 periods and right up against the glass, he has been my favorite ever since!! luvvvvv me some marty!!!!!!!!!!

104 shutouts. Incredible. Everyone talks about these records asking will anyone beat Brodeur's records, but what they forget is Brodeur is going to add a lot of wins and a whole bunch of shutouts to these records. Hopefully we witness a lot more shutouts and especially a lot more wins.

i don't think the shutout record will be touched - i don't think the nhl will let defense rule like it did during brodeur's prime. in 10 years, it's going to look just as insurmountable as gretzky's points record does now.

i don't think the shutout record will be touched - i don't think the nhl will let defense rule like it did during brodeur's prime. in 10 years, it's going to look just as insurmountable as gretzky's points record does now.

There is just so much to it. This record is helped by Brodeur playing on a team that plays such a defensive system. It also helps that Brodeur played under such an amazing GM who built such a strong team year in and year out. Obviously Brodeur is a gigantic factor of the system being so good and the team being so good. But I think Greg said it well in his piece, don't think for a second that Joseph is getting 104 shutouts for the Devils.

Even if there is a goalie as good as Brodeur out there, he would need to play for a great defensive team year after year. He'd need to stay healthy every season. Even then it be so hard with the all the rule changes, although I think that is overblown. Scoring is once again down and there have been plenty of shutouts around the league.

i can't agree about that, joseph was an excellent goaltender. it's unclear what he would've done with a real defense.

i think the league will constantly be jiggering the rules trying to get more scoring - although with the economy tanking, lower arbitration awards may win the day

Edited by Triumph

http://www.msg.com/devils/devils-postgame.html

Did anyone catch the post game last night where they broke out the players that played in games where Marty had his shutouts?

Did I here correctly that Elias has played in the most games that Marty had shutouts??

I looked at the above video link and all they had were the Elias/Rolston/Jacques interviews.

I remember that. IIRC, Elias was with Marty for 80 shutouts and Stevens was for 70, maybe 71. Don't remember who else was up there (probably Sarge, Nieds, Dano, Whitey, etc.).

I remember that. IIRC, Elias was with Marty for 80 shutouts and Stevens was for 70, maybe 71. Don't remember who else was up there (probably Sarge, Nieds, Dano, Whitey, etc.).

The way I remember it, Elias had 80; I think Sarge had 72; Pando, 71; and I think Stevens and Nieder both had 65 or something like that.

I could be wrong, though.

Assuming he avoids long term injuries and signs an extension after this contract he will reach 700 for sure. He'll hit 600 during this season. All this with approx 2 lost seasons worth of games. Its incredible.

While I dont think win/SO records will fall in my lifetime (and likely never), those missing 2 seasons show that it is still mathematically possible for someone else to top Brodeur's records.

It will take the perfect recipe to break them, but it could be done.

Where are you getting 24 losses from?

According to this site, Marty's played in 48 shootouts and won 33 of them:

http://www.nhlshooto...iesMostWins.htm

can't recall. I was reading some canadian newspapers yesterday and saw the factoid. Seems like the site you mention is more accurate.

The way I remember it, Elias had 80; I think Sarge had 72; Pando, 71; and I think Stevens and Nieder both had 65 or something like that.

I could be wrong, though.

Looks like we were both close.

Devils players that played with the most games with Brodeur during his 104 shutouts.

Elias - 80

Brylin - 72

Niedermayer - 71

Pandolfo - 71

Stevens - 71

Thanks for clearing that up, SD!

Looks like we were both close.

I suck at remembering things the exact way that they happened. Maybe it was all that funny stuff I smoked back in the day. ... That's why I mostly only comment on the more emotional topics such as on-ice hits or fan atmosphere. I usually leave the trivia and strategies to other fans with clearer heads.

Although, every once in a while, I like my version of events better. biggrin.gif

We all remember how physically talented Marty is, and how loyal he's been to the organization, but we forget his leadership, which is what sets him apart from Roy and Hasek IMO. He's always calm, and loyal to his guys. He build up the confidence of his d-men, which may not have been important when Nieds and Stevens were manning the blue line, but damn sure matters when kids like Martin, Oduya and Greene went through growing pains learning to anchor the d. Maybe another goalie could have won the 3 cups Marty won (not many other goalies, mind), but on one else could have kept the team playing strong while helping the kids on d develop. How many times has Marty quietly pointed something out to one of the kids? Hasek wouldn't know his name, and Roy would flip out at mistakes. If Marty wins one more cup, he will have officially done something no other goalie could do, and, quite frankly, I don't think he needs another cup for validation. I can say from experience that it's absolutely amazing playing with a goalie with a personality like Marty's. He's as close to a captain as any goalie could be (screw Luongo, and no disrespect to Langs). I complained post 80 seconds of hell, and I'm ashamed. It's been an honor to watch him.

Thanks and congratulations.

We all remember how physically talented Marty is, and how loyal he's been to the organization, but we forget his leadership, which is what sets him apart from Roy and Hasek IMO. He's always calm, and loyal to his guys. He build up the confidence of his d-men, which may not have been important when Nieds and Stevens were manning the blue line, but damn sure matters when kids like Martin, Oduya and Greene went through growing pains learning to anchor the d. Maybe another goalie could have won the 3 cups Marty won (not many other goalies, mind), but on one else could have kept the team playing strong while helping the kids on d develop. How many times has Marty quietly pointed something out to one of the kids? Hasek wouldn't know his name, and Roy would flip out at mistakes. If Marty wins one more cup, he will have officially done something no other goalie could do, and, quite frankly, I don't think he needs another cup for validation. I can say from experience that it's absolutely amazing playing with a goalie with a personality like Marty's. He's as close to a captain as any goalie could be (screw Luongo, and no disrespect to Langs). I complained post 80 seconds of hell, and I'm ashamed. It's been an honor to watch him.

Thanks and congratulations.

That's true. Marty helped the new era of Devils defensemen learn the NHL and kept this team competitive year after year. Hopefully Marty can get Cup #4 this season and shut up any haters out there.