It's a Man's Game (Devils Rangers 4/21/13)

Beetlebum

The level of frustration with Lou is understandable even though I don't agree with it. But he won't change the way he does things just because we failed to make the playoffs and to add sexy names to the roster. I don't expect any signifigant signings in the offseason because that's usually not the way Lou operates. As the best GM in hockey I do expect him to evaluate the team and make adjustments if necessary. But I think he will stay the course with what we have in the system before looking elsewhere.

His quotes summed up:

They did.

They did.

They can't.

They did.

While Brodeur has been an average to below average goaltender for a few years now, you have to score goals to support your goaltender. Look how good Lundqvist looks now. When the Rangers were almost last in offense he was in the same boat as Brodeur. Perfect or lose. And Lundqvist is the current Vezina winner not a 40+ legend hanging on.

Losing Parise was the biggest FA player loss in this franchise's history (one can argue Niedermayer which would be an interesting debate). Lou Lamoriello simply did not upgrade the team's talent level. While there was a steal of a trade made and some good, low risk depth moves made during the season there was ZERO attempt to upgrade the roster with any sort of talent from July 4th to the trade deadline. The team's biggest goat is the man sitting in the GM's chair. He's too old, stubborn and set in his ways. The game has passed him by and the way you deal with players has as well. He treaded water with players 20+ years ago and he still hasn't learned his lesson. The one time he breaks rank and signs a player (Zajac) he proceeds to show the other FA's on the team "what about us"? Not to mention the questions of why wasn't this done with Parise as far back as 2010 when you just knew it was Parise or Kovalchuk, not both.

While brodeur is getting his fair share of it and rightfully so, the man in the GM's chair deserves more, if not most.

There was only one player that would fit on the market once parise signed with Minny. That was Semin. He played fine for Carolina until he got his extension and dropped off.

Other than that , there was no one to get. Lou said he had attempted to go after some players at the deadline but the price was too high. Being unable to replace a talent like parise is not the same as refusing to.

There was only one player that would fit on the market once parise signed with Minny. That was Semin. He played fine for Carolina until he got his extension and dropped off.

Other than that , there was no one to get. Lou said he had attempted to go after some players at the deadline but the price was too high. Being unable to replace a talent like parise is not the same as refusing to.

semin on a one year deal was something that should have been explored and it wasn't - at all.

what may have happened, but we have no way of knowing was whether lou explored dealing one of the 8 signed defensemen for a forward.

If Lou knew there wasn't a sure bet that Parise would stay then he should have traded for him before July 1st. End of.

You miss the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years despite the talent level not being terrible, free agents continue to leave ya in the dust, and for the second time you fail to even MAKE the playoffs right after you made the Cup Finals. Yet excuses are still being made.

I don't have a problem with this specific game so much, but just Marty's attitude in the post game.  As someone else said, he's always had a very honest approach with the media, but he needs to man up and take some responsibility for this season.

Like, I get it.  You're touted as the greatest goaltender of all time, you're allowed to have an ego.  But all it would've taken is a simple "We didn't get it done this year, and I know there were a few games where I would've liked to have one back here or there".  A simple acknowledgement that he hasn't been great (in fact, far from it - he's been statically awful as of late).

But I mean, really, my frustration lies with Lou.  The man is a magician, the best, a brilliant leader, etc. etc. but he just seems to be stuck in his old ways.  He should've had contract talks with Zach in September 2011 and GOT IT DONE, he should already have an idea of Clarkson's and Elias's intents (maybe he does, but it doesn't sound like it from what the players have said).  His recent moves and signings have been questionable at best (last year's contracts all come to mind), and the results of the draft from the past 5+ years have been unimpressive at best (maybe that can be pegged on Conte).  My biggest problem is that he did absolutely nothing ALL YEAR to help the one-man show offense with which the Devils began the season.  It didn't take a hockey genius to know that Bobby Butler wasn't going to make up for Zach's departure on the score sheet.

I guess what I might be getting at is that the time for a new direction might be rapidly approaching.  I know this is probably blasphemous (trust me, I've said 'In Lou We Trust' more times than I care to remember) but it just seems that maybe Lou's losing his edge.  He's a living legend, but maybe his time is just about out.  Maybe he and Marty will both bow out after next season.

Edited by Devilsfan118

everyone is so ridiculous.

We missed the playoffs with Parise -- really relax even - Lou did what he could.  You're just wasting your mind spinning your wheels into some fury at Lou not doing something.

I guess it's just fine to be unrealistic. and I know I don't have to read it - and won't :uni: and ampt :uni:

I'm fine with this year.  I wish the guys hadn't had such a hot start because it spooked the players with power.  I understand how that is.  I always mock the teams it normally happens to. If elias leaves because Lou didnt' show him enough love soon enough I dont care.  If Lou low balls him... I dont know what to say -- I trust Lou because he's privy to a heck of a lot more than I am.

I'm just not upset.  Honestly I woudl have been far angrier if they went on a tear only to still miss the playoffs. I'm not in the mood for that sort of crap. This - thsi I'm prepared for - have been since they dropped out of the top -- they ahev things to work out.

Sadly I think the most critical things are actually the most acceptable.  Acceptable isnt' good enough.  Acceptable is wearing.  I've never been one for mere contentment. There is no way out of passably contented.  sh!tty offense you can get out of. Passable D putting up decent numbers -- there's no gettng out of that for the immediate future -- to me it's killing the team.  Why?  Well exactly because I can't tell you why. 

Yeah -- soo....  'night all

I also can't get too angry at Marty - it's not his fault he's average.  He understands he will only be average now.  It' is a scientifically proved fact our reflexes decline at 36.... and continue to decline from there.  There is no anomaly...Marty is normal.  A normal human being and no amount of technique will replace his reflexes - his reaction time. He can't get it back.  he's a human being.  A normal one despite what he's been told.  Normal.  yes -- the reflexes are GONE.  NOT COMING BACK.  Snapping your little tendon there at the statistically typical age of 36 should have tipped Marty off to the fact -- he's a normal human not a hockey god  Soo... There's no one to replace him?  Well marty should suck it up and admit there never will be.  He;s having fun?  Well fine - but it's time you rest more than you play.  Sorry you havn't earned the right to lose.  No one ever has or will nto Gordie Howe not you.  Play - have the desire to play in the big games -- but don't think you've earned the right to lose the big games because you won so many.  That's stupid and it's -----   NOT FUN.

Edited by Pepperkorn

No one is saying he is the reason they lost today but make a damn save. We give up the least amount of shots in the league by a large margin. His numbers should be better but they are not because he is mediocre now. I love what Marty has done for the franchise, he is the franchise, but this team would be better off looking for a new goalie to replace him and that should have started two years ago and that is why so many people are frustrated with him and the situation.

Edited by Zubie#8

Except they didn't miss the playoffs with Zach PK - he played all of what, 10 games that year before being shut down?  If Zach stays healthy in 2010-2011, and with even remotely competent coaching (which MacLean proved he couldn't offer, however) I'm fairly confident that team makes the playoffs.

They played all of last year without their theoretical #1 in Zajac, yet persevered with a solid top line and a great system.

Lou lost a great player in the offseason and did nothing to address it all year.  I don't see how that can even be argued.

Except they didn't miss the playoffs with Zach PK - he played all of what, 10 games that year before being shut down?  If Zach stays healthy in 2010-2011, and with even remotely competent coaching (which MacLean proved he couldn't offer, however) I'm fairly confident that team makes the playoffs.

They played all of last year without their theoretical #1 in Zajac, yet persevered with a solid top line and a great system.

Lou lost a great player in the offseason and did nothing to address it all year.  I don't see how that can even be argued.

to say he did nothing to address it isn't entirely fair. he expected a full year of zajac, bobby butler, jacob josefson, mattias tedenby, and a competent 4th line of CBGB to equal what was the full season team of 11/12.

it was a gamble to be sure and one that didn't pay off but it wasn't like he buried his head in the sand. it was an educated gamble just as keeping the 2 goalies and hoping that he could bleed another year of competent goaltending from it.

i give him zero marks and 10 lashes for bryce salvador's contract - that is the one thing that has absolutely no rational explanation.

i give him zero marks and 10 lashes for bryce salvador's contract - that is the one thing that has absolutely no rational explanation.

well....

you've got me there.  This man I've seen no value in for years.  Really  - none.  So I must be wrong because a guy always has some value.... it's a mystery to me though.  First time I saw his value was when he got put oninjured reserve I'm sorry to say.  I just thought thank goodness the man had the decency to bow out.  I didnt' think he actually was concussed.  :noclue:

to say he did nothing to address it isn't entirely fair. he expected a full year of zajac, bobby butler, jacob josefson, mattias tedenby, and a competent 4th line of CBGB to equal what was the full season team of 11/12.

it was a gamble to be sure and one that didn't pay off but it wasn't like he buried his head in the sand. it was an educated gamble just as keeping the 2 goalies and hoping that he could bleed another year of competent goaltending from it.

This is true, and fair.  I know hindsight is always 20/20, but that gamble was just too risky.  Unless JVB was (is) telling him strictly no spending, I just don't know why Lou wouldn't help his chances by bringing in a Hudler or Parenteau type player.  Again, I know as fans we know maybe 10% of what actually goes on - maybe Lou tried and couldn't lure anyone else in, who knows.  

And yeah, that Salvador contract is just a head scratcher.  And, assuming he maintains the captaincy next year, it means we'll be talking about it a lot over the next two years.

I think it has been argued -- Semin? The answers ill-measured at best, mostly absurd --- and only prove Lou did all he could.  I liked Parise - but he's not the be all end all.  He's just not.  And he's not a Devils player or he'd have stayed. 

I know, it's not that Zach is this savior to the team or anything, he's just the most recent, convenient case of talent leaving the Devils without immediate and obvious replacement.

is what it is fellas, you can blame this guy you can blame that guy.. whatever like honestly who really gives a damn right now. im going to enjoy this last week of hockey that we have and try not to feel so disappointed. i guess well see what happens during this off season.

This is true, and fair.  I know hindsight is always 20/20, but that gamble was just too risky.  Unless JVB was (is) telling him strictly no spending, I just don't know why Lou wouldn't help his chances by bringing in a Hudler or Parenteau type player.  Again, I know as fans we know maybe 10% of what actually goes on - maybe Lou tried and couldn't lure anyone else in, who knows.  

And yeah, that Salvador contract is just a head scratcher.  And, assuming he maintains the captaincy next year, it means we'll be talking about it a lot over the next two years.

I know, it's not that Zach is this savior to the team or anything, he's just the most recent, convenient case of talent leaving the Devils without immediate and obvious replacement.

JVB most likely limited spending. Additionally, what were the chances that not ONE of Josefson, Tedenby, Butler, and Zajac would produce anything? I mean, that's just plain bad luck. Lou did say he attempted a move at the deadline, but that teams were looking for too much. For example, the Pominville return was ridiculous. 

As for Parenteau and/or Hudler, weren't both off the board by the time Parise was signed with Minny? I think Lou tried. I really don't think he was OK with what he had, but I don't think he had as many options as people think.

The Salvador contract is definitely just plain bad. Three years was too much, but my guess is Lou didn't want to lose the leadership of Parise and Sal in one year and was forced into that 3rd year. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

"Oh well" That phrase sums up this entire past off season and season for me. We had another bs half a sh!t season cause the players and owners are greedy. Oh well. We lost a crybaby who doesn't deserve to be compared to Scotty Niedermayer because he couldn't score an important goal in the playoffs if his life depended on it. Oh well. Kovy and Marty missing a large portion of the season killed our chances. Oh well. Same people here complaining about the same things year after year. Oh well. We can't win the cup or make the playoffs every year. Oh well.

ps fvck the rangers

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

"Oh well" That phrase sums up this entire past off season and season for me. We had another bs half a sh!t season cause the players and owners are greedy. Oh well. We lost a crybaby who doesn't deserve to be compared to Scotty Niedermayer because he couldn't score an important goal in the playoffs if his life depended on it. Oh well. Kovy and Marty missing the season killed our chances. Oh well. Same people here complaining about the same things year after year. Oh well. We can't win the cup or make the playoffs every year. Oh well.

ps fvck the rangers

Amen.

I'm glad this season is almost over for us. It's been a pretty miserable 10 months.

It all started when I went on holiday to NYC and hoped the lockout would end so I could go to the home and away opener.. i suppose it's only natural we get eliminated out of the playoffs lol

Crappy way to end the season.  Outside of that nice 8-1-3 start, this was a pretty craptacular NHL season for Devils fans for sure. 

Some people will point to bad luck, some will point to individual players, some to Lou, some to Parise's departure...but suffice it to say there's plenty of blame to go around.  The problems are pretty simple, and we know what they all are:  they can't score and they can't stop the puck. 

All you need to know about Marty is that he ranks 11th in GAA (2.23) and 39th in save% (.900).  The latter number is bad, and the former was clearly buoyed by the low volume of shots he faced.  And the flat-out low save%s is continuation of a trend that is now on its 3rd season.  I'd be surprised if he retires after this off-season, but I really do hope Lou and him have a sitdown, because though he deserves to try to exit the game on good terms, he can't go into next season as the unquestioned #1.  If the Devils are going to be a club that struggles to score goals (and it looks like they will be for the short term...probably not as bad as they were this season, but I would think bottom half of the league for sure, likely bottom third), then the simple reality is, Lou needs to find someone who has a reasonable shot to stop .915-.920 of the shots heading his way.  Such a goalie currently doesn't play for the Devils.  I'm not going to get into picking apart Marty's quotes and killing him, but at the same time, I think this season showed conclusively that Lou can't just throw Marty out there next season and hope that he suddenly finds the Fountain of Youth.  But I hope Marty realizes it too, because next year can go one of two ways...he can leave the game on reasonable terms, or he can pull a Messier and make things awkward for everyone, from the fans to his teammates to his GM to ownership.  The sad fact is that some all-time greats have a hard time realizing that they've declined, and think they have that one last good season left in them.  This off-season will go a long way in establishing whether Marty is willing or able to see that he simply shouldn't think of himself as THE guy anymore.  I hope he does, because I don't think anyone associated with the Devils wants to be the one to tell him that painful truth.  I think they're all hoping he will come to this conclusion almost completely on his own.    

Can't help but wonder what will happen with Elias too.  Since he signed his big contract, he has been good for 25 goals per 82 game block on average (regular season only)...no, Elias' value is clearly not measured on goals alone.  But he's 37 and probably not going to get better, and if the Devils re-sign him, I am going to guess that they will do it thinking he's going to be one of their go-to scorers.  If the Devils want to keep him, I am OK with it, as long as it's not for more than two years, and as long as he's not being paid like he's a guy who the Devils should count on for primary scoring.  He should be looked at as a secondary scorer for the stage of his career he's about to enter...if someone wants to pay him as though he can do more than that, in both years and dollars, then Lou should let him go.  I know some fans will feel like Elias should never leave, and that other fans will point out that an immediate Elias replacement or a player like him may be hard to find in the short term, but the last thing the Devils need is another overpaid star on the decline.  Lou needs to tread carefully on this one.

• Like 1