ESPN pre-power rankings

Devils731

Who's "been bashing Parise for years"? I don't remember a whole lot of that...I remember damned near universal love for him among Devils fans. I also remember almost everyone hoping and praying he'd re-sign and stay here.

As for Kovy, he deserves a lot of credit for being coachable and trying to work on the holes in his game...I don't know if he is nearly as much of the reason for the Devils playing well from the second half of the '10-'11 season on as much as you're making him out to be. Pretty much every possible thing that could've gone wrong in the first half of that '10-'11 did...the Devils were simply not that bad, and some kind of evening out was bound to happen...no way the Devils were going to finish 20-58-4 or something like that...they weren't the '83-'84 Devils. Last year's SC run come playoff time to me was just one of those freaky things...great fun for all of us, the team playing well at the right time, parity, some terrific coaching...the playoffs feel more like a crapshoot now more than ever...that how you get a #6 seed playing a #8 seed, with the #8 winning the whole damned thing.

The first half 10-11 Devils were horrendous. It wasn't bad luck it was out of shape players playing with no system. The defense was terrible, everybody blew their assignments every night and the offense was pitiful. You are kidding yourself if you are saying they had potential when Maclean was coaching, something bad happening every night does not make the team lose games consistently with the score 6-1 7-2 5-2 6-3 7-1. They were simply that bad.

How do you get a 6th and 8th seed in the Cup? Uhh they both went through massive changes through the year and became a cup contender late in the season.

Parise was always bashed for not coming up in huge spots throughout his Devil tenure.

Edited by Zubie#8

The first half 10-11 Devils were horrendous. It wasn't bad luck it was out of shape players playing with no system. The defense was terrible, everybody blew their assignments every night and the offense was pitiful.

I didn't say it was all due to bad luck. But the talent was much better than the record showed. Clearly the coaching was a major issue, and the players had a part in it too, but if you could replay that season's first half with all of same pieces in place, they probably win at least 15 games in that first half...still not very good, but 10 was absolute rock bottom for that group...it's actually pretty amazing that they put up a record that terrible...like I said, that's '83-'84 Devils bad, and that team WAS every bit as bad as their record.

Who's "been bashing Parise for years"? I don't remember a whole lot of that...I remember damned near universal love for him among Devils fans. I also remember almost everyone hoping and praying he'd re-sign and stay here.

As for Kovy, he deserves a lot of credit for being coachable and trying to work on the holes in his game...I don't know if he is nearly as much of the reason for the Devils playing well from the second half of the '10-'11 season on as much as you're making him out to be. Pretty much every possible thing that could've gone wrong in the first half of that '10-'11 did...the Devils were simply not that bad, and some kind of evening out was bound to happen...no way the Devils were going to finish 20-58-4 or something like that...they weren't the '83-'84 Devils. Last year's SC run come playoff time to me was just one of those freaky things...great fun for all of us, the team playing well at the right time, parity, some terrific coaching...the playoffs feel more like a crapshoot now more than ever...that how you get a #6 seed playing a #8 seed, with the #8 winning the whole damned thing.

Minor point, may just be a chicken or egg thing, but I think the regular season is what's less predictable, to a degree. The Kings were an excellent team that simply hadn't played well until the last third of the season. Their percentages were simply dreadful. Throw in trading their worst player for one of their best at the deadline and you've got a really powerful club. The Devils, too, were missing one of their best players for most of the season and got rid of two of their worst players for what ended up being two of their best,

I didn't say it was all due to bad luck. But the talent was much better than the record showed. Clearly the coaching was a major issue, and the players had a part in it too, but if you could replay that season's first half with all of same pieces in place, they probably win at least 15 games in that first half...still not very good, but 10 was absolute rock bottom for that group...it's actually pretty amazing that they put up a record that terrible...like I said, that's '83-'84 Devils bad, and that team WAS every bit as bad as their record.

Understood, but there is no way that roster was going to have success under Maclean. It was hard to watch, they were playing without an identity.

Minor point, may just be a chicken or egg thing, but I think the regular season is what's less predictable, to a degree. The Kings were an excellent team that simply hadn't played well until the last third of the season. Their percentages were simply dreadful. Throw in trading their worst player for one of their best at the deadline and you've got a really powerful club. The Devils, too, were missing one of their best players for most of the season and got rid of two of their worst players for what ended up being two of their best,

We've definitely seen that regular seasons are not always great indicators, and that a good team can scuffle through a good 2/3rds of the season before pulling it all together, or making a couple of key personnel moves, etc. Were the Kings really a #8 seed in spirit? No, probably not. But we see lower seeds getting deep into playoffs quite a bit in the NHL...which pretty much shows that the regular season results don't mean a whole lot...just get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

As for Kovy, he deserves a lot of credit for being coachable and trying to work on the holes in his game...I don't know if he is nearly as much of the reason for the Devils playing well from the second half of the '10-'11 season on as much as you're making him out to be.

really? Kovy was on fire that second half. He wasnt the only reason we had that run, but he was probably the most important piece of it. Rolston was another piece that really helped us out. But without kovy that run doesnt even happen. He wasnt scoring 2-3 points a night, but he was scoring huge goals throughout that run. Just off the top of my head i can remember 3 OT winner that were huge, a gwg against the rags, and big goals against the sharks and canes.

EDIT: sorry if this message came across as me like flipping out or something. Haha im just bored at work and needed to talk about hockey.

Edited by njd3b1ink

This forum is so fickle. Not long ago everyone on here was criticizing the Kovalchuk deal because of the fear that it might make Parise feel like this wasn't his team anymore or because his contract might keep us from re-signing Zach. Then Kovalchuk had that flubbed shootout attempt and had a bunch of bad turnovers and just about everyone was on his case about it, calling him overrated, overpaid, a waste of money, etc. Now Zach leaves and everyone is worshiping Kovalchuk and bashing Parise, the exact opposite.

I'm pretty sure it was the other way around when Gomez and Rafalski left. All season long everyone was hating on Gomez so bad that his cousin (at least I think it was his cousin, maybe it was some other relative) who posted on here just completely stopped because he couldn't deal with how disrespectful people were. People were bashing Rafalski, albeit to a lesser extent, because he wasn't able to replace Niedermayer and didn't have a good shot from the point. Then July 1st came around and Rafalski went to Detroit and Gomez signed a ridiculous contract with the Rangers and it was like we were minutes away from apocalypse on here.

Why do you use the Kane Brewing Co. as your advatar? Just curious I live in Ocean Township.

Why do you use the Kane Brewing Co. as your advatar? Just curious I live in Ocean Township.

I just figured I had my old one up for a long time and it was time for a change, and Kane makes awesome beers. I was at a Kane tap takeover a few weeks ago so I guess that's why they were the first thing that popped into my mind when I decided it was time to change it up haha.