What to do if we lose Parise?

mort4345

We have lost alot better over the years then Parise...I was never a huge fan....by better I mean...#27...#28...Retired #4...retired #3.

The retirements don't really matter much in this respect IMO, especially since Stevens' last year was the year before the lockout and Dano was on his last legs as of 2003 (he was benched for a bit in 03!). We couldnt prevent them leaving and it was time for Daneyko.

I agree about Niedermayer. Rafalski, not so much. I'd put Parise second in terms of a loss if he leaves next week, behind Niedermayer. He's our Captain and we're coming off a berth in the Finals, which he was a big piece of our getting to. The one thing I take solace in is the fact we have Kovy and now Henrique. The fact we have Henrique makes the thought of losing Parise a little easier to swallow, but its still going to be enormous if Zach walks.

The one thing I don't want to see is overpayment, although that is pretty much a certainty, I dont want to see it overkill.

If Parise walks or not, will we see Tedenby in the NHL next year? I really hope the team gives him another chance because for whatever reason I like the kid.

He was a first-rounder, I'm sure he'll get at least one more shot...but he's going to have to earn his spot. He'll need a strong camp...his stock has to be pretty low right now.

He was a first-rounder, I'm sure he'll get at least one more shot...but he's going to have to earn his spot. He'll need a strong camp...his stock has to be pretty low right now.

He needs to watch how Gionta played during the playoffs. He does not need to hit as much but he needs the speed in the defensive and offensive zone forechecking the hell out of the opposition. He has more skill than Gionta but he needs to play like him. He needs to be like Nathan Gerbe on Buffalo.

Edited by Zubie#8

He needs to watch how Gionta played during the playoffs. He does not need to hit as much but he needs the speed in the defensive and offensive zone forechecking the hell out of the opposition. He has more skill than Gionta but he needs to play like him. He needs to be like Nathan Gerbe on Buffalo.

Yea I was going to make the comparison myself. I'm pulling for him that's for sure.

Exactly, same thing with Martin. When Martin left Lou already had plans to sign Tallinder and Volchenkov. I trust Lou will make the right moves with or without Parise.

I trust that Lou will make the right moves, as well I just fear that there aren't any moves to make that will be strong enough to replace Zach. What I'm trying to say is that if Zach leaves, is there anything a GM, even a great one like Lou, can do to completely replace him this year?

I trust that Lou will make the right moves, as well I just fear that there aren't any moves to make that will be strong enough to replace Zach. What I'm trying to say is that if Zach leaves, is there anything a GM, even a great one like Lou, can do to completely replace him this year?

No doubt, you cannot replace a Zach Parise but we must secure our depth, I would love if our entire team is resigned.

I said this in many other threads, push hard for Parenteau if we do not get Zach. One of our weakneses is at right wing.

Edited by Zubie#8

No doubt, you cannot replace a Zach Parise but we must secure our depth, I would love if our entire team is resigned.

If the price is right, I would definitely agree that the majority of the team should be back for next year. I still just worry so much about replacing Zach, despite the fact that a guy like Henrique would hopefully step up.

The retirements don't really matter much in this respect IMO, especially since Stevens' last year was the year before the lockout and Dano was on his last legs as of 2003 (he was benched for a bit in 03!). We couldnt prevent them leaving and it was time for Daneyko.

I agree about Niedermayer. Rafalski, not so much. I'd put Parise second in terms of a loss if he leaves next week, behind Niedermayer. He's our Captain and we're coming off a berth in the Finals, which he was a big piece of our getting to. The one thing I take solace in is the fact we have Kovy and now Henrique. The fact we have Henrique makes the thought of losing Parise a little easier to swallow, but its still going to be enormous if Zach walks.

The one thing I don't want to see is overpayment, although that is pretty much a certainty, I dont want to see it overkill.

+1

Zach would be the best player we lost via the free agency route other than Nieds for sure....

I just wish Lou didn't wait until we had a miracle run to try to get this squared away. Should have signed him longterm last offseason....

His hard head is going to cost him more money to sign Zach, or Zach as a player when he signs elsewhere....

+1

Zach would be the best player we lost via the free agency route other than Nieds for sure....

I just wish Lou didn't wait until we had a miracle run to try to get this squared away. Should have signed him longterm last offseason....

His hard head is going to cost him more money to sign Zach, or Zach as a player when he signs elsewhere....

Except Parise may not have wanted to sign long term last offseason. Parise really had no reason to want to sign long term last offseason, except for security in case his knee was still horrible, but that's also the same reason the Devils would have been wary to sign him long term.

I'm going to guess that there was no dollar amount Parise would have agreed to signing long term with the Devils last offseason. Parise wanted to see if the Devils were going to be good, and if the Devils were bad then there was no amount of money this offseason that would have caused Parise to stay.

Except Parise may not have wanted to sign long term last offseason. Parise really had no reason to want to sign long term last offseason, except for security in case his knee was still horrible, but that's also the same reason the Devils would have been wary to sign him long term.

I'm going to guess that there was no dollar amount Parise would have agreed to signing long term with the Devils last offseason. Parise wanted to see if the Devils were going to be good, and if the Devils were bad then there was no amount of money this offseason that would have caused Parise to stay.

Yeah, I agree with this too, at least the line of thinking. What if we had signed him to a 7.5 per year deal last year and he ended up getting hurt? People would be hating on Lou more than normal right now. Its a double edged sword signing a guy coming off such a big injury and in that respect alone I felt Lou did the right thing. He obviously is over the injury and now is going to get paid big time, but I felt and still feel, that the one year deal was the right way to go after he missed all of the previous year basically especially considering how much the team wants to invest in Zach.

I also agree about Parise's mindset. He is saying all the right things when asked right now, but he could be counting down the days to leaving for all we know. Nobody can say one way or another what he's thinking/feeling.

Valid point, but I still feel LL still should have extended him the rare courtesy of being offered a contract before he became a UFA...

His price definitely went up a little bit after our run...

Let's hope Lou locks him up ASAP

Valid point, but I still feel LL still should have extended him the rare courtesy of being offered a contract before he became a UFA...

His price definitely went up a little bit after our run...

Let's hope Lou locks him up ASAP

An astute GM may say the opposite: that his price and value may have gone down after this little run. A healthy and productive Kovalchuk got the Devils into the playoffs (and into a first team NHL spot). A progressively hurt Kovalchuk may have cost the Devils the Cup. Parise WAS healthy for the playoff run and showed the entire hockey world that he alone can not lift his team like a Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos or ya, a healthy Kovalchuk. There's that super elite talent level, which the aforementioned are. Then there's that next tier of superb hockey players that feed off other great hockey players. That's where Zach falls. Zach's game is hard nosed work effort and opportunistic play. But, if he's targeted by an elite d-man, it's been shown that he is stoppable. I love Zach and want him here, but before we break open the purse strings let's call it for what it is.

An astute GM may say the opposite: that his price and value may have gone down after this little run. A healthy and productive Kovalchuk got the Devils into the playoffs (and into a first team NHL spot). A progressively hurt Kovalchuk may have cost the Devils the Cup. Parise WAS healthy for the playoff run and showed the entire hockey world that he alone can not lift his team like a Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos or ya, a healthy Kovalchuk. There's that super elite talent level, which the aforementioned are. Then there's that next tier of superb hockey players that feed off other great hockey players. That's where Zach falls. Zach's game is hard nosed work effort and opportunistic play. But, if he's targeted by an elite d-man, it's been shown that he is stoppable. I love Zach and want him here, but before we break open the purse strings let's call it for what it is.

So true....! So right

When teams target players they are paying for the player as a whole pacakge. As people in hockey and Devils players have pointed out, Zach is much more than what shows up on the score sheet. He is a fierce competitor and a leader. These intangibles cannot necessarily be measured, or priced out. I do not think that anyone in their right mind would have thought that Zach was gonna win games singlehandedly at any point...so I do not think this postseason run has revealed anything that wasn't already known. But what was shown is that Zach can lead and he will battle....

With that being said, I do not think we should pay him more than 7.5M/yr for 8 years. If the Wild wanna back up the truck and give him a 90-100M contract, I think he walks and I wouldn't blame him. It could just end up being one of those type of things; relative overpayment to get their man......

No way they are trading any of those guys just for Parises rights.

I'd assume they would add a contingency that says if they sign Parise before July 1, New Jersey gets a certain player.

That being said, I put zero stock in incarcerated Bob's word.

I'd assume they would add a contingency that says if they sign Parise before July 1, New Jersey gets a certain player.

That being said, I put zero stock in incarcerated Bob's word.

Did not even think of that, I just want Parise to re-sign, but I would take Couture for him any day.