N.F.L. Wild Card Round

CRASHER

Two a days.... training camp....pre-season..... 16 games.... a long,tough year of football... and it all boils down to 4 weeks ofsingle-elimination games.....*ugh*... pressure.... *ugh* ... anxiety(why is it the older you get the more you appreciate theseopportunities and you freak out about them more?? :P )...but here weare.... and enough stalling about the Eagles tonight.... time to ge toit......

Saturday January 9:

Jets at Bengals:

-- Why the Bengals can win:

They're home... that always helps....

They got a nice week long look at the game film of the Jets lastweek... and the Jets did throw the kitchen sink at them (I swear BradSmith got more touches in the wildcat last week then all year long, andit seemed the only way the Jets made big plays... mind you the boredomof that game snapped me out of my "the regular season is over"depression and ran me to the World Juniors)...

The Bengals won't hold back this time... and they won't sit Cedric Benson or anyone else who can walk or put on a helmet.....

And do I even need to mention the MASSIVE advantage at QB of Carson Palmer over Nacho Libre?? (didn't think so)

The Jets haven't played a football team that gave a sh!t since the Falcons, and they lost to them.......

-- Why the Jets can win:

The Bengals aren't exactly the Greatest Show on Turf offensively...they have no game breaking WR (he died :P), they have evolved into arun first and second team, and that kinda team has a lot of troubleputting you away and anything can happen in a close game in theplayoffs....

If you can run the ball.... and play defense... yeah they do that.... they can win in the playoffs

The bad weather today will be a MASSIVE even-up factor and probably negate the advantage the Bengals have at QB

The Bengals have not been playing great football since the San Diego/post-Chris Henry game

Cincinnati's not THAT good (re: they're beatable) and the Jets match up good with them

-- What will happen:

Ugly, low scoring game... the weather factors.... this will be a gameyou need to be a fan of these teams to enjoy it....(there's a reasonthis game is on 4pm on Saturday... no one else wanted to broadcast thisgame).... all I heard all week on WFAN and XM radio was Jets Jets Jets(and no I don't mean the chant from the Fraud in the Fireman hat, yes Iknow he held out for Season Tickets and all that drama)....this shouldbe a game in the 15-10 range and I don't see either team blowing theother away or dominating one.... well that and it being a playoff gamemakes it interesting.... so if I had to rate the game quality I'd giveit *** )....damn this game is too even.... but I'd like to think alittle football karma would come to play here and the Jets have a lotof football luck in even getting there.... I kinda think that shouldrun out here today... and I can't go against the better QB andexperienced coach (though I would love another week of laughing at Rexsaying the Jets are Super Bowl favorites)

Eagles at Cowboys:

-- Why the Eagles can win:

The Eagles have never lost in the first round of the playoffs under McNabb.....

We all know the Cowboys history of playoff FAIL since 1997.....experience is a big edge in Phily

If Andy Reid had some stones and worked more plays in for McCoy andWeaver (the Eagles played their best football this year WITHOUTWestbrook and using the other two backs to have a short yardage game)

Find a way to unleash Jackson... he's the most dangerous and explosiveguy on the field (Felix Jones is a close 2nd)....get him the ball andfind a way to make a play.....

Get the Cowboys to doubt early and often... they're running high, butit only takes one or two miscues to let the ghosts come rearing out....

-- Why the Cowboys can win:

2002.... what am I referring?? That's the last time McNabb completedover 60% on the Cowboys defense.... normally not a big deal, but withas pass happy (if not flat out allergic to the run) as Andy Reid is....if they can keep the heat on McNabb, and Dallas can bring it with only4-5 guys attacking.... the Eagles are in trouble....and the Cowboycorners are growing in leaps and bounds this year (look at DeShawnJackson's numbers in the Cowboy games)

Marion Barber and Felix Jones... the ability to control the line andmake HUGE plays off screens and handoffs is something Dallas did lastweek and MUST do this week.... the running game is a HUGE plus on theDallas side....

New Stadium...new karma.... time to put the ghosts of FAIL in the old stadium forever

-- What will happen:

This is the best game of the weekend by FAR... the two best and hottestteams around again going head to head... and of the repeat games lastweek this was the one that meant the most and was the hardest played(though both coaches are idiots for not pulling the QBs in the 4thquarter).... almost every thing Phily wants to do, Dallas doesbetter... and it's been a long time coming Cowboys fans, I just hope tohell I'm right about this.....should be an epic game (4 to 5 starrange)....but still *gulp*... the Cowboys should win this game, anddon't doubt the NFL is salivating about Dallas vs Favre one moretime......

Sunday January 10:

Ravens at Patriots:

-- Why the Ravens can win:

Is there a team with more problems and flaws in their team andpersonnel then the Pats? No Wes Welker.... Tom Brady is doing his bestBernie Kosar "walking stretcher" impression.... Randy Moss is notpracticing... and the defense is HIDEOUS.... the Ravens have adirection.... average defense.... run the ball... run the ball somemore... and it helps a LOT to be playing the worst team standing in theplayoffs (keep in mind I'm not high on the Ravens, this is more ananti-Patriot thing here)

-- Why the Patriots can win:

Tom Brady.... 8-0 at home this year... and 8-0 career in the playoffsat home....if he can stand, he can throw, and they can score.....

Fred Taylor/Lawrence Maroney... this is a 1-2 punch that in a single game can match McGahee and Rice yard for yard....

Darth Hoodie is still the superior coach and may be able to pull a trick or two out of the bag to escape in this one....

-- What will happen:

As you can tell by my lack of commentary above... I'm really not highon either one of these teams (in fact if I was rating all the playoffteams in rankings coming into the tournament.... I'd have the Pats as12, the Jets at 11, the Ravens at 10).... this is going to be an uglygame... your eyes may hurt watching this... beer is advised! I just seethe Pats as out of gas (and go figure this is the only game we didn'tsee LAST week either)... beat up and nothing left in the tank and theRavens take advantage of that.... this is a 2-star game at best......

Packers at Cardinals:

-- Why the Packers can win:

Balance.... they have a thousand yard back... 2 thousand yard WR's andthe most underrated QB in the league in Aaron Rodgers, that kindaoffense is hard to stop for any defense and the Cardinals are averageon defense at best.....

Defense... they have a huge edge here and Charles Woodson can and willmake 1-2 big plays on Sunday, and Dom Capers knows how to bring thepressure

Everything Arizona wants to do, the Packers can do as well .... if not better......

-- Why the Cardinals can win:

Experience.... Kurt Warner has been to this dance more times then acreepy molester trying to break into the Senior Prom.... this wholeteam just went to the Super Bowl last year (few teams were as unchangedas the Cards were)

running game... Beanie Wells and Tim Hightower give just enough to makeyou worry about them which is a good thing for Breaston, Fitzgerald andBoldin (if he plays)

the Cardinal D is in alot of ways just good enough to win.... and better then last year and they DID get to the Super Bowl.....

Kurt Warner is smart and good enough to not fall into theturnover-happy trap the Packers like to set... if the turnover battleis even, the Cardinals will win this game......

-- What will happen:

So I just spend all that effort hyping up the Cardinals... just tosay... yeah/NO to them....I don't like Arizona here... everything wentright for them last year (including a not ready Atlanta team andDelhomme's first of many implosions)... and it's not gonna be this waythis year... no team is more under the radar then the Packers.... thatputs them in a prime run to do a better Pearl Harbor job then MichaelBay could ever dream of....Jesus may save... but his #1 fan is goingdown in a shootout.... should be a fun game... and I took the over inthe office pool, expect much points!!!

My picks for the End of Season Awards in the NFL:

League MVP:

Peyton Manning (Ind)

You know what makes this such an easy choice? How BAD were the Coltswith the Painter, the Carpenter and the Candle Stick Maker playing QBfor them? When PM18 played (just to add my parallels for regular seasondominance to mb30 in hockey).... and again this was a team you lookedat when the season started and went YUCK, but 18 made Dallas Clarkbetter.... Reggie Wayne better.....Austin Collie?? Pierre Garcon??CMON!!! The only guy who knocked on the door here otherwise was PhillipRivers....

Offensive Player of the Year:

Chris Johnson (Ten)

We all know about the 2000 yards... but did we know about the 5.6 yardsper carry??? Yeah he owes an assist to Vince Young here (as when VYplayed, the 100 yards games rose like the morning sun)... but to havesuch a dominant season on a team that was SO AWFUL at the start of theyear... and be doing this with 7-9 guys in the box.... yeah that'spretty impressive and no one comes close.... well anyone who would haveseemed to take weeks off in weeks 15-17 (Drew Brees comes to mind)

Defensive Player of the Year:

Charles Woodson (GB)

9 INTs (3 for TD), 18 passes defended and 4 forced fumbles... and adominant effort... in a year where there were a few shutdown corners(Revis, so the Jet fans don't try to stab me.... and mister unspellablein Oakland as well)... and no real dominant pass rushers like Ware andMerriman in the past.... this was the year of the QB and the CB... andno one was a more impact player then Woodson... a month ago this was agimmie for Darren Sharper too but the Saints fell off the cliff.......

Comeback Player of the Year:

Cedric Benson (Cin)

Tom Brady can suck it... there's no way I'm giving him comeback of theyear for just healing (I know it was a nasty injury, but he's an NFLGolden Boy and you know how many touching the QB flags they threw inhis honor this year)... Benson was (rightfully so) left for dead in NFLterms by the Bears and he was terrible and out of sync there... and hecomes from this pile.... 1200 yards, 6 TDs and 4.1 per carry....and notto mention lead the transformation of pass happy to ground n pound inCinci

Coach of the Year:

Marvin Lewis (Cin)

At the beginning of the year NO ONE had the Benglas above 6 wins....the Steelers are there..... the Ravens are there and everyone had theBengals as the 3rd seat in a two-seat car, but yet it was the Bengalswho never lost in the AFC Central.... add in the "immaculatedeflection" in week one (I thought that was gonna crush this team)...and then Mike Zimmer loses his wife....and they lose Chris Henry...that's a lot of emotional distress to overcome in one season... hellLewis deserves the award simply for making Cedric Benson into an NFLplayer, when you look at teams and expectations, no coach did more withless and in more adverse situations then Lewis did.....

Rookie of the Year:

Percy Harvin (Min)

As much as the old man douchebag gets all the credit for what theVikings have done this year.....60 catches 790 yards and 6 TDs... andit's no coincidence that the Vikings struggled MIGHTY in the game and ahalf Harvin missed... he's a matchup problem for D-Backs, and evenUrban Meyer was saying how much the Gators missed him when they lost toAlabama 6 weeks ago LeSean McCoy was nice, but the Eagles didn't usehim enough....same with Noshown Moreno (947 yards and 6TDs were nicebut he was never THE GUY in Denver, not like Harvin)..... and I won'tbe arrogant enough to assume I can evaluate O and D-Line play from myseat in the bar with Sam Adams in hand

Disappointment of the Year:

Jay Culter to the Chicago Bears

This was supposed to be the move that put the Bears over the top andthey were supposed to be where the Vikings were in adding that onepiece that turned them from also-rans to elite (and yes I understandthe defense sucked and they had injuries all over)... but still....Culter didn't find an INT throw he didn't like and it also didn't helphis coaches did not adjust their philosophy to fit the style andtalents of their QB (I think a LOT of fantasy football owners feel mypain here)... and in a weak NFC where there were only 6 good teams (andthey all made the playoffs)....this team failing this bad was a majorletdown.....

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CRASHER-

"Experience.... Kurt Warner has been to this dance more times then acreepy molester trying to break into the Senior Prom" HAHAHAHA...that made me laugh out loud hard. Agree with most of your award selections, and sincerely hope the NFL doesn't give Brady the Comeback Player of the Year just because he is Brady.

Agree with most of your award selections, and sincerely hope the NFL doesn't give Brady the Comeback Player of the Year just because he is Brady.

I think they gave it to Brady on Tuesday or Wednesday, that just annoyed me even more to NOT give it to him

I didn't feel qualifed enough to give a defensive ROY if I did it would have been Byrd from Buffalo, that kid makes PLAYS

I think they gave it to Brady on Tuesday or Wednesday, that just annoyed me even more to NOT give it to him

I didn't feel qualifed enough to give a defensive ROY if I did it would have been Byrd from Buffalo, that kid makes PLAYS

My comp froze mid post...I have to disagree on defensive POY...I think Revis HAS to win. Shut down the opposition's best WR week in and week out. Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Marques Colston etc. He will be THE shutdown corner of this generation. He is scary good.

I have never seen a team challenge 2 plays in the first quarter and LOSE THEM BOTH! This can reallllly come back to haunt Marvin.

EDIT: It may already have. Keller may have stepped out there, but guess what? It doesn't matter when you burn both of your challenges in the 1st quarter! Bonehead Coaching 101 with Professor Marvin Lewis. (who coincidentally will probably win Coach of the Year)

Edited by ThreeCups

Is this game on any radio stations other than 1250 and 1050? I'm at work trying to listen to this game on a radio that must be 15 years old with an antenna broken in four places. I can't get either station so I'm stuck following the game online with occasional updates from Steve Somers.

Is this game on any radio stations other than 1250 and 1050? I'm at work trying to listen to this game on a radio that must be 15 years old with an antenna broken in four places. I can't get either station so I'm stuck following the game online with occasional updates from Steve Somers.

I would try to look for a radio broadcast online somewhere...

I just want to extend an olive branch to the Dolphin fans. You see back in the early to mid 90's the Jets weren't very good...in fact they sucked balls. So you couldn't root for the home team, you had to hitch your wagon to the sexy Dan Marino and the Miami Dolphins. They were winners, and you had to root for a winner didn't you? Damn the struggle, the suffering....I want instant gratification and star power!!! YAY DOLPHINS

Now I'm giving you an opportunity to come home to YOUR TEAM!

the New York JETS!!!!

renounce your affiliation!

Edited by '7'

I just want to extend an olive branch to the Dolphin fans. You see back in the early to mid 90's the Jets weren't very good...in fact they sucked balls. So you couldn't root for the home team, you had to hitch your wagon to the sexy Dan Marino and the Miami Dolphins. They were winners, and you had to root for a winner didn't you? Damn the struggle, the suffering....I want instant gratification and star power!!! YAY DOLPHINS

Now I'm giving you an opportunity to come home to YOUR TEAM!

the New York JETS!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Beezer34