Praise from Kings fan

abripper339

Good to hear. And 0 Grav is pretty much spot on. Being a team that has no cup history, we LA fans should not be a team with big animosity towards. There pretty much is no history.

The only group of fans that hate us LA fans now are Canuck, Blue, Yotes, and of course the Duck fans. :clap:

On train commute home back from NY to Metropark, I asked the man sitting in the middle seat beside his daughter (windowside) to sit in the last remaining seat of a three seater. He jokingly said "Yes.... unless you're a Devils fan"

I sat down and looked at him and said, "I am."

Haha. I hadn't noticed his varisty style L.A Kings jacket, and his two kids and wife sitting in the next row until now. He was a really nice guy, and we began talkin' about hockey (he's a season ticket holder) and life in general. We compared our teams and how similarly they play, right down to how similar their arenas are. I said, "Once you get to Newark, stay with the crowd and don't venture out too far from the Pru center."

He replied, "Sounds just like L.A"

Mutual respect goes a long way, because at the end of the day we're all just hockey fans.

On train commute home back from NY to Metropark, I asked the man sitting in the middle seat beside his daughter (windowside) to sit in the last remaining seat of a three seater. He jokingly said "Yes.... unless you're a Devils fan"

Haha. I hadn't noticed his varisty style L.A Kings jacket, and his two kids and wife sitting in the next row until now. He was a really nice guy, and we began talkin' about hockey (he's a season ticket holder) and life in general. We compared our teams and how similarly they play, right down to how similar their arenas are. I said, "Once you get to Newark, stay with the crowd and don't venture out too far from the Pru center."

Mutual respect goes a long way, because at the end of the day we're all just hockey fans.

It's really great when you compare it to the savages in the Flyers series and ignorance in the Ranger one. Every King fan I encountered Wednesday was just supporting their team and enjoying the game. It was nice to see.

The Devils Army as a whole has never been a nasty fan base. That's why I was pretty surprised when the story of the "assauled" female ranger fan came out. But I'm glad we're getting a little bit of recognition.

Kings fans by and large tend to be one of the nicer fans in the NHL.

Nothing but pleasant experiences interacting with them.

Well, give us time to form a rivalry...the environment will change. lol

How do Devils fans feel about WIng fans? Out here in LA, they are ALL OVER the place, and the come in the form of a couple. This leads me to believe they are a total group of bandwagon fans simply because they are successful.

Edited by Metal_King

Overall, I have to say that the only time I get fired up with fans "visiting" the Rock is when the Rangers, Flyers and Canadiens come to town. Their fans (at least the scum that makes it to Newark) are some of the most obnoxius away fans you can imagine. They have no respect for their surroundings and deserve a lot of the verbal harassment they get.

Overall, I have to say that the only time I get fired up with fans "visiting" the Rock is when the Rangers, Flyers and Canadiens come to town. Their fans (at least the scum that makes it to Newark) are some of the most obnoxius away fans you can imagine. They have no respect for their surroundings and deserve a lot of the verbal harassment they get.

I never hear pleasant things about Flyers' Fans. Whether it's Rangers, Islander, Panthers Fans interacting with them, it's always the same outcome (The worst fans to deal with)

Well, give us time to form a rivalry...the environment will change. lol

How do Devils fans feel about WIng fans? Out here in LA, they are ALL OVER the place, and the come in the form of a couple. This leads me to believe they are a total group of bandwagon fans simply because they are successful.

Wings fans for the most part don't bother me. Mostly because the are in the Western Conference.

I know people joke around about this, but I don't like that even us NJ fans still have to sh!t on Newark all the time. Don't wander to far from the Pru? Why? You afraid of something? It's fairly safe all the way from University Heights all the way down to the Ironbound. I'm not worried unless I get above 1st. Except for Elizabeth/Clinton Ave, it's not that bad at all near the downtown area. Market street could be better, but it's not bad and they always have that police tower this on the corner as well. I'm NEVER worried when I'm in Newark. People, for the most part since anything CAN happen, are not gonna walk up to you and beat you down or rob you in the downtown area.

Edited by ATLL765
  • Like 1

I've always had fun with/love when MTL come and play here because the fans that I've met at games who are/were Habs fans love Marty and always have respect towards the Devils.

There ARE bad apples in every bunch. Yes, even here in NJ. The WORST that I can't stand when they come to play us is the Flyers and Ranger$ fans. I hate those 2 sets of fans with a passion. USUALLY other team's fans I can tolerate.

I've always had fun with/love when MTL come and play here because the fans that I've met at games who are/were Habs fans love Marty and always have respect towards the Devils.

There ARE bad apples in every bunch. Yes, even here in NJ. The WORST that I can't stand when they come to play us is the Flyers and Ranger$ fans. I hate those 2 sets of fans with a passion. USUALLY other team's fans I can tolerate.

By and large Montreal fans are the biggest bunch of passive-aggressive a$$holes there is.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 2

I know people joke around about this, but I don't like that even us NJ fans still have to sh!t on Newark all the time. Don't wander to far from the Pru? Why? You afraid of something? It's fairly safe all the way from University Heights all the way down to the Ironbound. I'm not worried unless I get above 1st. Except for Elizabeth/Clinton Ave, it's not that bad at all near the downtown area. Market street could be better, but it's not bad and they always have that police tower this on the corner as well. I'm NEVER worried when I'm in Newark. People, for the most part since anything CAN happen, are not gonna walk up to you and beat you down or rob you in the downtown area.

You're partially correct. East of the arena to Penn Station and down Ferry St., and even north to NJPAC are fine. But anywhere from Broad/Market south and west is to be avoided unless you know the area or have to be there(taking the bus). It's not suitable for the arena's audience, and if you walk around there you'd understand why. There's a reason I tell people on here and elsewhere to avoid the other side of Broad and even south of City Hall. There's nothing there for them. The LA comparison is not that far apart(well they do have LA Live now but South LA is still right next door). The Marriott should help some for Broad Street itself and hopefully Teacher's Village helps the west side of it.

Edited by Marv4Life

Don't kid yourself. Newark is still a dangerous place to be by the time the game ends but as long as you stay with the crowds you're fine. Should I have told him to go explore the great city of Newark at 11pm at night? Cory Booker can't save you from that type of fire. :whistling:

Besides, I said that mostly because he asked me for directions and he's a 40 year old man with a wife and two 10 year old kids.

By and large Montreal fans are the biggest bunch of passive-aggressive a$$holes there is.

Been to 3 games in Montreal and loved it every time. They are very nice people and love the Devils. Ya maybe some of the fans that make the trip down here are overly excited but they love their team and they are rarely violent or rude. Thats my 2 cents :cheers:

Don't kid yourself. Newark is still a dangerous place to be by the time the game ends but as long as you stay with the crowds you're fine. Should I have told him to go explore the great city of Newark at 11pm at night? Cory Booker can't save you from that type of fire. :whistling:

Besides, I said that mostly because he asked me for directions and he's a 40 year old man with a wife and two 10 year old kids.

--9596-1312168267-7.jpg

Edited by Zubie#8

Um, Ferry St where all of the restaurants are clustered is in Newark and even by midnight it isn't what I would call "dangerous". I should know since I've been there. Stop acting so damn sheltered.

Edited by Marv4Life

Um, Ferry St where all of the restaurants are clustered is in Newark and even by midnight it isn't what I would call "dangerous". I should know since I've been there. Stop acting so damn sheltered.

I am sincerely glad you have been there and thank you for selecting one safe street out of an entire city.

honestly i lived in newark for 4 years when it was much worse and i walked its streets 1,2 am in the morning and nothing ever happened. it's so deserted that unless you bump in to a bad group by chance, you don't have the opportunity to have anything bad happen to you. not more than nyc or any other cosmo city anyway.

I am sincerely glad you have been there and thank you for selecting one safe street out of an entire city.

As he rightly said before, anywhere between the Rock and University Heights is almost certainly fine. I've walked Broad and Market later than Devils games. There are certainly streets you don't go on, but not near the Rock. Newark's not perfect, but neither is any city. There are parts of New York that are considerably worse. I'm not saying you should tell a visitor to explore the city or anything, but suggesting that he needs to stay with a pack of Devils fans to be safe at night is just asinine.

Edited by mouse

As he rightly said before, anywhere between the Rock and University Heights is almost certainly fine. I've walked Broad and Market later than Devils games. There are certainly streets you don't go on, but not near the Rock. Newark's not perfect, but neither is any city. There are parts of New York that are considerably worse. I'm not saying you should tell a visitor to explore the city or anything, but suggesting that he needs to stay with a pack of Devils fans to be safe at night is just asinine.

Agreed. The ONLY thing I'd be concerned with is maybe somebody trying to offer you drugs somewhere around the corner of Broad and Market. Even that is a slim chance on a game day when they got extra cops out and that tower thing is almost always there too, so it's not that big a concern. It is more desolate if you walk west down Broad towards 78, as well as just above Broad st. there, but it's certainly not a war zone or anything where you have to be worried about stray bullets.

Personally, I don't mind walking around pretty much anywhere even remotely close to downtown later at night. Basically as long as it's semi-well lit, I'm not concerned(good rule of thumb for being anywhere at night) and I've been around downtown at 1-2am and NEVER have been threatened, robbed, etc.

I understand that Newark has problems and problem areas, but by making jokes about whether or not one would be safe there, especially in the downtown area, does nothing but perpetuate the perception that Newark is most dangerous city around.