Sather claims Rags had handshake deal for Stamkos in 08

Daniel

I mean, it's old news - I was confused why this was posted here until I saw it was making the rounds - but whether or not Stamkos actually turned out to be a good player, dealing him in his 1st season would've been catastrophic. A 1st overall pick is worth a huge amount the year after he is picked.

I still wonder if that Scott Gomez for Ilya Kovalchuk rumor from the 2001 draft 'rumor' was true. At the time the Devils had Arnott, Holik, Madden, and Nemchinov as centers.

It is a bit odd to see a two and a half year old article but I didn't actually remember seeing this. It wouldn't shock me with how Sather manages to be the pied piper when it comes to working out theft deals with other teams. The irony is they probably wound up giving the same type of package for Nash now.

I mean, it's old news - I was confused why this was posted here until I saw it was making the rounds - but whether or not Stamkos actually turned out to be a good player, dealing him in his 1st season would've been catastrophic. A 1st overall pick is worth a huge amount the year after he is picked.

I still wonder if that Scott Gomez for Ilya Kovalchuk rumor from the 2001 draft 'rumor' was true. At the time the Devils had Arnott, Holik, Madden, and Nemchinov as centers.

What about Gomez for Datsyuk?

So, basically, one of the owners wanted to make an idiot move and as soon as the rest of them (and the GM) found out, they shut him in the basement and he has never been heard from again. I would've done the same if I was them.

Thank God that trade didn't happen.

So back to the board's favorite topic of discussion this offseason: Is this tampering? I know in the MLB and NBA Gms aren't allowed to discuss players on other teams, Sather openly talking about how they were going to get Stamkos would be a violation correct?

Nah, I doubt it's that strict. I mean, a lot of times GMs admit they went after this player or that player and it didn't work out (just look at this year's draft frenzy and the ton of info we had on Parise, including Holland talking about his offer and Zach mentioning they wanted him but wouldn't take Suter etc., etc.). IIRC, Lou at some point said they tried to get Hossa (though I still haven't really seen an exact quote of that, it's one of those things everyone repeats but I'm not 100% sure they happened really).

It's always fun discussing these almost-trades. I think it seems like Lou only pulls the trigger on big names when he has a chance to get them surprisingly cheap (like the Kovy trade). It seems fewer GMs tend to break the bank on trade deadline these days, so who knows, maybe we'll see some bigger moves from Lou in the next few years.

Is this true that was in the article:

If GM Paul Holmgren manages to keep his job, it won't be because of the acquisition of Pronger, who next season begins a seven-year, over-35 contract extension at an annual cap hit of $4.9 million that runs through 2016-17.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/shaken_not_stirred_T6N63otVVq92kFkpEFVBMI#ixzz25nEilNmQ

ARe they still on the hook for this $$ ?

If GM Paul Holmgren manages to keep his job, it won't be because of the acquisition of Pronger, who next season begins a seven-year, over-35 contract extension at an annual cap hit of $4.9 million that runs through 2016-17.

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...I#ixzz25nEilNmQ

ARe they still on the hook for this $ ?

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

Yep... Flyers out 5mm of their cap... I'm not sure how injuries go and trading... but you can't exactly trade him away either because of the next two years dollars are significantly expensive. He's due 7.2mm this upcoming year, then 7mm... and then cap circumvention time... 525k for 2 more years.

Edited by aylbert

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/shaken_not_stirred_T6N63otVVq92kFkpEFVBMI#ixzz25nEilNmQ

ARe they still on the hook for this $$ ?

Yes, but it doesn't matter all *that* much since he is hurt and goes on IR. All it means is that the Flyers will have big trouble adding at the deadline or loading up before the season.