GDT: Winnipeg Jets @ NJ Devils

Mayday

First game back for JJ though, and he was rushed back. He get's a pass on this one, if you ask me.

Zach said the team never went into a defensive mode.. Said the team kept playing its game.. I agree with him, it just looked defensive because we played our game at slightly above their level of intensity so it just looked that way lol

I think defensively only by the shot count... 9 in the first, 7 in the 2nd, 4 in the 3rd... But yea, I didn't see a trap.

Devs 5, Jets 1...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385377

The Devils were outstanding in what might be considered a trap game, returning from a four-game road trip that ended with three games in Canada.

Apparently you aren't allowed to play defensively in the third after scoring 4 goals?

I think they meant "trap game" as in "let-down game," not as a knock on playing overly defensively.

Anyway, hard not to like what happened last night. Kovalchuk was excellent in every area of every zone all night. One of the best all-around games I've ever seen from the guy. Clarkson could've had four goals with the way he played. Salvador continues to be our rock on defense. Just everyone really clicked out there. Great game.

The team continues to show how much it really turned a corner at the start of December.

First 25 games (12-12-1):

- 57 Goals For, 2.28 G/G

- 11-for-91 on the PP, 12.1%

- 71 Goals Allowed, 2.84 GA/G

Last 20 games (14-5-1):

- 61 Goals For, 3.05 G/G

- 12-for-63 on the PP, 19.0%

- 54 Goals Against, 2.70 GA/G

Edit: To link to the last time I revisited these numbers. That was before the Western Canada swing that I was wary of, and both the PP and GA numbers actually improved in that span. Very encouraging. Also encouraging is the strong start to the long home stand. Boston, Philly and NYR in our next four games. Another important stretch.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Zach said the team never went into a defensive mode.. Said the team kept playing its game.. I agree with him, it just looked defensive because we played our game at slightly above their level of intensity so it just looked that way lol

I dont know if I agree with the whole not going in defensive mode. Did they play a well rounded game and overall good hockey? Absolutely. They went out there with a flame in their eyes and they accomplished everything plus more. Its what they need to do every game.

Devs 5, Jets 1...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385377

The Devils were outstanding in what might be considered a trap game, returning from a four-game road trip that ended with three games in Canada.

Apparently you aren't allowed to play defensively in the third after scoring 4 goals?

Some of those TSN commenters are on crack. The attendance stuff is old. 14k is a decent crowd considering the opponent - the Atlanta Thrashers, the least interesting team in the league, a non-playoff team, a team and city no one in the league gives a damn about.

Good win, great all around effort by the team, both offensively and defensively. That having been said, we have to keep things in perspective. Winnipeg was playing the second of back-to-back games and without 2 of its stars in Wheeler and Byufglien. Needless to say Thursday's game against Boston will be a more accurate assessment of where this team stands, especially with defense and goaltending. If the fort holds, our offense will do the rest. If it doesn't we might see a repeat of the last mauling (pun intended). Would be nice to have Henrique, Zajac and Greene in the lineup, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. LGD!

Also a side note, if that wasnt a playoff worthy team LAST NIGHT then I dont know what is. If the team that has showed up the last 2 games continues this half of the season, we will be in good shape and good running for the playoffs. The true test will be the following two games (Boston and Philly). These two games will show us what team we really are dealing with.

14 pages after a win? Whoa.

You made it 15

8 pages for me.

290 posts and counting, though. :)

I think they meant "trap game" as in "let-down game," not as a knock on playing overly defensively.

Yea, I think you're right.

Just in time too, apparently. They're talking about snow Thursday night.

:)

40's today and tomorrow, and snow tomorrow night. Go figure.

Weird ass weather patterns this winter.

nah, I just like the sound of my own voice.

heh

Not the first time that someone's said something like that to me, though. No worries, it doesn't bother me at all.

Besides, I was replying to those guys.

Anyway... if you want to get all caught up in post counts, that's on you.

nah, I just like the sound of my own voice.

heh

Not the first time that someone's said something like that to me, though. No worries, it doesn't bother me at all.

Besides, I was replying to those guys.

Anyway... if you want to get all caught up in post counts, that's on you.

8 pages for me.

290 posts and counting, though. :)

Yea, I think you're right.