Random Thoughts & Stuff

sammyk

Why does FOX have to screw up the Formula 1 Schedule on Speed???

Speed does a great job with Formula 1 always shows the Practices, Qualifying and the Race Live.

But Fox Been Fox decide that they want to Broadcast four races on FOX. Nothing wrong with that except that they air the race 4/5 hours after the race took place. So the only way to watch those four races live is on FSN. But FSN are regional channels and not everybody got them( my case).

fvck you FOX.

Time to bitch about my apartment.

I live on the third and top floor of my building. A year ago, a wind storm came through and ripped off the vinyl siding that covered the underside of the roof hanging over my kitchen windows. I called maintenance and it never got fixed.

Birds then made a nest in the roof's now-exposed soft underbelly. I called maintenance to fix it and it never got fixed. Dealing with those birds and all the other birds loudly trying to steal their nest slowly became an accepted part of our everyday life here.

Then several weeks back, I came home for work on a Monday and heard scratching and squawking coming from inside our kitchen wall. There was a bird stuck in there somehow. I called maintenance, but it was after their normal hours so I had to settle for leaving a voicemail.

The next morning, I heard the same scratching and squawking while getting ready for work. I called maintenance from work and was told that it sounded like a bird was stuck in a dryer vent that runs through that part of the wall. Fixing that requires a ladder, and because it was raining that day, it was unsafe for anyone to be climbing a ladder. I was assured that as soon as the weather cleared, our wall bird would be removed. When I came home from work, the bird was still making noise.

The next morning, more scratching and squawking. I called again from work and got a new, but similar, excuse. The ladder is a two-man job -- one to hold and one to climb the thing -- and because most of their guys were at some maintenance meeting, only one was available. I was assured that as soon as two guys were available, out wall bird would be removed. When I came home from work, the bird was still making noise.

The next morning, more scratching and sqawking. I called again from work and got a whole new excuse. Apparently now clearing out this vent required access to the attic, and for some reason our maintenance people can't access the attics they're paid to maintain. I was assured that as soon as they could access the attic (whatever bullsh!t that meant), our wal bird would be removed. When I came home from work, there was silence. The bird was dead.

The next day was Friday, and I took the day off to deal with this. Finally, someone actually came to the apartment. All he did was hook up a modified leaf-blower to our dryer vent to "blow out the lines". He said it didn't sound like there was a bird in the line, so he'd be back later to try something else. He never came back. I called maintenance and was assured someone would come by. No one did. So I went to the office and found the head of maintenance. He dropped what he was doing and came straight to our building.

Within second of seeing the building, he knew what the problem was. It had nothing to do with vents or attics. It was our roof birds. One fell through a crack in the wall and died. He promised to hire a roofing contractor to get the nests out of there and seal up the roof. The next day I left for a two-week business trip.

When I came home, the roof had been fixed but nothing had been done to remove the bird carcass from our kitchen wall. That Thursday night ... two weeks from the day the bird died ... we saw beetles in the apartment for the first time since moving in about a year and a half ago. I killed 'em and thought nothing of it.

Saturday my fiancee and I went to Jersey to visit some family and friends. When we came back Sunday evening, we found flies. They had gray stripes on their backs and wide-set red eyes. A quick Google search revealed that they're called Flesh Flies, and -- surprise! -- their maggots are laid in the corpes of dead animals. In a matter of about two hours, I killed 12 of these flies. I called maintenance and left a message.

Today I took the day off again to deal with this, and haven't seen a single fly yet. I wanna get back on the horn with maintenance and shove my foot up thier asses, but if they came by they'd see nothing. And apparently, once an animal corpse has been used to feed maggots, there isn't enough left for another batch of maggots to be laid there, so it could be that this nuisance has already run its course.

Believe it or not, that's the quick version of the story. :lol:

And I'm not even a homeowner!

One of my favorite Mitch Hedberg jokes was, "I went to a Home Depot the other day, which was unnecessary. I should have gone to Apartment Depot, which is a warehouse full of people saying 'I ain't gotta fix sh!t!'"

Yer lucky the maggots ate the decaying bird carcass. As I read I figured you were heading towards a stench of death engulfing your kitchen. Glad to see the hungry, hungry maggots took care of that for you. I do think you are in the clear though.... that is as long as while the siding was gone the under belly didn't get real wet and cause mold to get a foothold. wonk wonk. ssad.gif

Yer lucky the maggots ate the decaying bird carcass. As I read I figured you were heading towards a stench of death engulfing your kitchen. Glad to see the hungry, hungry maggots took care of that for you. I do think you are in the clear though.... that is as long as while the siding was gone the under belly didn't get real wet and cause mold to get a foothold. wonk wonk. ssad.gif

Yeah, I think we were saved by the fact that it was probably a baby bird, so there wasn't much for the maggots to feed on. It was also the smaller of the two types of birds we had living in our roof (I think I forgot the detail that we actually had two nests within eight or so feet of each other). If it was the bigger birds, and an adult, we'd be totally screwed.

I was thinking about waiting for the 5. But my contract was up, old phone was doing some seriously screwy things (like changing my alarm at random times), and decided I just didn't wanna wait any longer. The best part so far is that I don't have to use my iPod in the car anymore. The iPod interface with my Forester's stereo absolutely blows, but using the bluetooth to listen to iTunes from my phone is friggin outstanding.

So far I've got: Find iPhone, Instagram, Camera Awesome, MapQuest, Urbanspoon, Yelp, Wi-Fi Finder, GasBuddy, ShopSavvy, PNC Virtual Wallet, Facebook, Twitter, Flixter, sudoku, Wikipedia, Dictionary, Urban Dictionary, CNN, ESPN ScoreCenter, B'More Happy Hour, Embark DC, Go Out DC, DC City Guide, Embark Philly, Philly City Guide, Embark NJ Transit, Embark NYC, NYC City Guide.

I'm trying to focus more on the utility of it rather than use it as a game machine, but if there are must-have games then, well, I guess I must have 'em.

SoundHound & Shazam for song ID

Pandora

Flashlight

Tapatalk (to read this site, among others)

IMDB

Redbox (if you use it)

Fandango

HBOGo (if you have HBO)

Netflix, Hulu if you have them

Starbucks, Walmart, Amazon if you frequent them

News apps...CNN, Fox, etc...plus NJ.com

Sports apps, Fire & Ice, CBC, TSN, NHL

Airline/travel apps if you travel

For Games, right now I'm playing Flow, Words with Friends and Draw Something.

The second I read it, I started downloading the app for Gulitti's blog. The fact that it has its own app is friggin outstanding. Thanks for the heads up, and for the rest of the suggestions too. Gonna go through and check 'em out.

Whatknot (what knot to tie in the great outdoors) - very fun! but it's a little hard to figure out how to tie the knots on the fly based on their instructions -- you have to practice.

Spyglass - coolest compass EVER! :giggle:

GoSkyWatch - you can look at the heavens inside your house even - but outside you can see EXACTLY what you're looking at -- or shoudl be as the case me be with cloudcover etc. massively fun.

I have the free owls audubon guide - and I have their North American bird guide because I'm to cheap to pay for Sibley's (edit: too cheap to use two os there too I guess).

and Alltrails is really cool if you hike.

Stuff only I like: Wallace and Gromit chat-o-matic - my daughter has fits over this - it gives you wallace's mouth (you hold the phone up to your face) and you say phrases like the bounce has gone out of his bungie and other famous lines from the shorts.

I actually like the Hockey News app best for hockey. Maybe because I haven't used anything else once they updated it. just downloaded Fire&ice though - it'll ease my board retirement some! I'm obviously not doing well. At least I didn't post about Stevens penchant for gum chewing.. :unsure: or did I just?

I use loseit for calorie counting -- it's just fastest and I have my whole family addicted - we're all buddies - very funny and keeps my 75year old hyper competitive Dad active hahaha. My FitDay crap just is too much of a hassle now -- and I used to love that stupid site.

Love SciFri now that I work full time and miss the show.

OH! Cooking apps

Allrecipes dial a dinner (free)

Epicurious

Locavore is interesting not sure if I like it though - guide to shopping for local foods

Whole foods for healthy recipes

I like ShopShop list making app -- but I hear there is better out there

Oh and Cook's Illustrated - which I feel like always wants me to pay to be a member... but it's free and if you can ignore all that stuff it's cool as is even.

I also love Distance - it's step calculator but more than that. I'm too lazy yo describe. Good for running etc. I HATE running... <_< HATE HATE HATE... :rant: I get to look at Distance and say "Eff YOU!" to my phone when I'm done... it makes me feel better. -_-

I have every angry birds except Rio - I have the free version of that only. I too have Sudoku - and Crossword and I use Solebon solitaire. One of my faves is gone now and i only had the free version Moosentration... I dont think you can get it --- when I can't match everything in under a minute I make myself go to bed.

anyhow... so that's my input :P

Edited by Pepperkorn

It's 100% women. Specifically college-aged women who don't actually like alcoholic beverages but need something to get them drunk. I've watched it for two years now. What pushed it over the top for me was whipped cream vodka. Absolutely disgusting.

Whipped Cream is actually really good with Orange Soda. But I am a women, however not exactly college aged. Also Gummy vodka absolutely amazing especially when you soak said gummies in it. UGH SO GOOD. :noclue:

I second PK's recommendation of Solebon. If you're a fan of solitaire card games, this is the app for you. The free version isn't bad (7 games, covers the basics), but it's definitely worth the 2 bucks to get the paid version (42 games). Regular and easy versions of Free Cell, two variations (one-card draw and three-card draw) of Klondike (the "classic" solitaire that comes with Windows), four variations of Spider Solitaire, Golf, Baker's Dozen, Monte Carlo... basically, if it exists and is somewhat popular, it's probably in here.

Honestly, I've got so many apps on my phone that I don't even use or I use rarely. Luckily, most of those are free; I only have a couple paid apps that I ended up not using.

Lately I've been getting the most use out of:

• Angry Birds -- like PK, I've got all of them except Rio (that is, the original plus Seasons and Space)
  • TomTom -- I got this when it first came out. I don't have a separate GPS device, and these days there are probably cheaper options for turn-by-turn driving directions, but it works well for me. Also, this app has a car mount that doubles as an antenna for the GPS and a hands-free phone speaker.
  • GasBuddy -- You said you already had this, but yeah, it's pretty good.
  • Draw Something -- Another game where the paid version is worth it. Also, I really wish I had an iPad because this would be awesome on it.
  • Words With Friends
  • Bejeweled and Bejeweled Blitz -- Blitz is a one-minute version of Bejeweled that connects to Facebook. They used to be in the same app but Blitz was spun off by itself a few months back.
  • Solebon -- Already mentioned it, but this is seriously addicting.
  • What's On TV -- TV listings
  • I don't use this one that much in the summer because I've got the fan going, but White Noise is good if you need some sort of noise to put you to sleep and you don't want to have music playing.

So yeah, there's a lot of games. Sue me. :P

I don't need it that often, but I second Sammy's recommendation of Flashlight. I have a 3GS so I don't have a flash, but in addition to lighting up your screen, Flashlight will allow you to use the camera flash as a light.

As I was going through my inventory, I remembered I have Tiger Woods '12. It's one of the few major sports titles that translates well to mobile platforms, probably because golf doesn't require incredibly complex controls. I've had the demo versions of NHL 2K11 and NBA Jam, and they're much harder to control.

If your TV provider has an app (I think all the major ones do), get it. You can set up recordings on your DVR and most of them will let you watch live TV on your phone, though the channel selection tends to be limited. (I actually can't do that on my phone because I jailbroke it and, ummm, Time Warner doesn't like that.) WatchESPN lets you watch the two major networks, ESPNU, and ESPN3.

Let's see, what else? Most major credit card companies have their own app. If you use PayPal and/or eBay a lot, their apps will be of use to you. If you subscribe to SiriusXM and you have Internet listening enabled, there's an app for that.

Oh yah, I have Tom Tom too. However, iOS6 is supposed to have turn by turn I think so I would wait before buying Tom Tom to see how it is.

Forgot about mentioning Paypal. It's a nice app. You can even deposit checks to your Paypal account with it.

Also, if you are a Slingbox user, you can buy their app and watch TV on your phone.

Holy app suggestions, Batman! Friggin awesome, thanks! When I get home and jump back on my wifi (so I don't kill my data), I'll look into a lot of these.

One I found that's been ridiculously cool is MyFitnessPal. I'm not looking to shed a ton of weight and I'm no lunkhead, but this satisfies my inner geek by showing me just how healthy I eat. (I think I'm filling my addiction to hockey stats with food stats in the offseason :lol: ) The food database seems to cover pretty much everything. On my first day, I ate ghormeh sabzi, a traditional Persian dish that I figured wouldn't possibly already have nutritional info loaded in the database. Lo and behold, they had two different recipes in there.

The only downside is that, as I've learned I need more fiber in my diet, I've been farting like crazy as my body adjusts to the nutritional shift. :giggle:

Holy app suggestions, Batman! Friggin awesome, thanks! When I get home and jump back on my wifi (so I don't kill my data), I'll look into a lot of these.

One I found that's been ridiculously cool is MyFitnessPal. I'm not looking to shed a ton of weight and I'm no lunkhead, but this satisfies my inner geek by showing me just how healthy I eat. (I think I'm filling my addiction to hockey stats with food stats in the offseason :lol: ) The food database seems to cover pretty much everything. On my first day, I ate ghormeh sabzi, a traditional Persian dish that I figured wouldn't possibly already have nutritional info loaded in the database. Lo and behold, they had two different recipes in there.

The only downside is that, as I've learned I need more fiber in my diet, I've been farting like crazy as my body adjusts to the nutritional shift. :giggle:

Shifted to whole wheat bread and Fiber One bars a year ago. Deliciously awesome and good for you.

Shifted to whole wheat bread and Fiber One bars a year ago. Deliciously awesome and good for you.

Just switched from Fiber One to Kellogg's FiberPlus. Same fiber and protein, slightly lower calories, carbs, and sodium, and IMO tastes a little better. I think they even cost a little less, too. Also added more dried fruits to my diet. Dried apricots are the tits, and wasabi peas are the double tits!

• 4 weeks later...

Some bizarre candidates on the Brazilian Elections.

"For Councilman vote: "Christ Of Jerusalem "

05.jpg

For Councilman Vote : "Joe sh!t"

01.jpg

For Councilman Vote : " Alcoholic"

03.jpg

For CouncilMan Vote "Black Jesus"

02.jpg

For Councilman/Councilwoman "Leo Kret"

07.jpg

For CouncilMan " pansy Hi my Love" ( No really that is His candidacy name)

10.jpg

For CouncilMan "Mister Bim"

15.jpg

For CouncilWoman "Lurdi Big Jeep"

09.jpg

Ok the Black box on the Bottom says " Yes I'm whore, I have been a Whore for 40 years now, but i'm a honest woman. I'm the candidate for the students, Cab drivers, Bus Drivers"

On the right side you gonna find the whorehouse she used to work, in case you wann do a background check.

For councilwoman " Sara Veronica"

257_1138-extra-sara11b.jpg

For Councilman "Nobody"

1223571030473_f.jpg

Right Side in Bold letter it reads.

"Nobody is your friend"

"Nobody is not Corrupt "

"Nobody is Honest"

"Nobody is Truthful"

"Nobody worries about you"

"Nobody Thinks about you"

Nobody is sensate"

For CouncilMan/councilwoman vote " The Mute Tranny"

bixa-muda-candidatos-bizarros.jpg

For State Deputy: " Crazy Helium Gas"

candidato-gas-helio-looko.jpg

For CouncilMan: "Rambo"

02-candidato-1343927591074_500x344.jpg

For CouncilMan "Confusion"

confusao.jpg

For Councilman/Councilwoman "Biuzinha"

01--vereador-ibiuzinha-1343068265229_500x356.jpg

For Councilman "Disney"

02--candidato-disney-1343068290602_500x199.jpg

For CouncilMan : "Sponge Bob"

tumblr_m8fysgAoqs1qfuf2d.jpg

For Councilman "sh!tted"

vereador16.jpg

For CouncilMan : "Robin"

eleicoes200829.jpg

For CouncilWoman "Claudete " (The slogan Reads" Because the Power has to menstruate)

vereador5.jpg

For Councilwoman "Silvana Venom"

Candidatos+engra%C3%A7ados+2012+%282%29.jpg

For CouncilMan "Saddam" (Slogan Reads: "São Paulo Deserves Saddam")

Candidatos+engra%C3%A7ados+2012+%2812%29.jpg

For CouncilMan "Bin Laden"

bin.jpg

For councilMan "Joe Steel Sponge"

vereador3.gif

For councilman " Flat Tire"

pneufurado2.jpg

For Councilman" Paul squint eyes "

paulinhovesgo.jpg

For Councilwoman "Deborah Soft" - ( Slogan : "Vote with Pleasure")

deborasoft2.jpg

For Councilman "Vanderley szmile "

Vanderley-Corriso.jpg

For State Deputy " Joe of the Parties"

0.jpg

For Vereador " Geraldo Wolverine"

candidatosbizarros201215.jpg

For Councilman "Mario Bross"

candidatosbizarros20124.jpg

For Councilman " Michael Jackson Lookalike"

candidatosbizarros20125.jpg

For Councilman " Malignant Furuncle"

candidatosbizarros20128.jpg

For Councilman "Teacher moises. The Spiderman"

candidatosbizarros201211.jpg

For Councilman "Aborted"

candidatosbizarros201212.jpg

For Councilman "Miquei"

miquei.jpg

For State Deputy "Brazilian 007"

nome15.jpg

For State Deputy "Friday"

nome2.jpg

For State Deputy "Budog"

nome3.jpg

For State Deputy " Cigar Now"

nome4.jpg

For state Deputy " I does "

nome10.jpg

For State Deputy " Minus Two"

nome13.jpg

For State Deputy " Dj Wadão- Donkey with golden tooth"

nome18.jpg

For Councilman "Barak Obama"

BARACK%20OBAMA%20%20SOUSA%20PB.jpg

Edited by Cachorro Louco

I'd vote for Sara Veronica...and I really hope she's female.

Hahah Well she did a pictorial for the Brazilian magazine "Sexy" so i'm pretty sure she is female.

Meanwhile i found an interview with the "Mute tranny"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXFmNC3q4Es

• 3 weeks later...