This summer's Devil UFA's

Jerzey

Harrold - Depends on Sal. I don't think we keep both of these guys.

I think if Sal goes then the Devils need to do something to replace his style of play. Our Defense has too many Harrold types.

I think a lot of people underestimate the value of having older guys around that can play almost a coaching role. Marty is EXCELLENT at this and I think it adds immensely to his value as a team player. Moose and Tally are the only older Swedes on the team, so it's a good thing to have around come the holidays. It gives the younger guys a place to eat on Christmas, Thanksgiving, wtv, and eat some homemade swedish foods. It's just something that I believe really helps a player feel at home with a team.

I mean, just imagine you're Larsson or JJ and you have only been in NA for a couple years or less, you speak English, but not fluently; that can be really isolating for a younger player.

Lastly, showing loyalty to a guy like Moose with a decent contract and allowing him to play one last year or wtv without relocating can really show to the younger players that NJ is a place that you may not get the individual accolades you'd get in MTL, NY, TOR, etc, but if you put in hard work and commit to the team, you WILL be rewarded for that loyalty.

Yep.

I expect the entire 4th line to be somewhere else next year. It's a good bet Gionta ends up in Montreal after this run. The players are going to look different on this roster next year. Lou is going to work some magic this summer and were going to have a helluva team next year with or without Parise.

I expect the entire 4th line to be somewhere else next year. It's a good bet Gionta ends up in Montreal after this run. The players are going to look different on this roster next year. Lou is going to work some magic this summer and were going to have a helluva team next year with or without Parise.

I think allowing the entire fourth line to leave would be a bad move on our part. It would be nice to keep them together and give them some more ice time in the regular season. They could contribute some scoring.

Her's a list of our UFA's and our cap space according to Capgeek...

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=20

Cap space - $28,045,834

Forwards:

Zach Parise - 70 million/10 years (7 million cap hit)

Alex Ponikarovsky - 3 million/2 years (1.5 mil cap hit)

Ryan Carter - 4.5 Million/ 3 years (1.5 million cap hit)

Petr Sykora - Retires/leaves as UFA

Cam Jannsen - Leaves as UFA

Steve Bernier - 6 million/3 years (2 million cap hit)

Stephen Gionta - 8 million/4 years (2 million cap hit)

Defense:

Bryce Salvadore - Leaves as UFA

Peter Harrold - Leaves as UFA

Goalies:

Marty Brodeur - 8 million/2 years (4 million cap hit)

Johan Hedberg - Retires/Leaves as UFA

Cap spent 18 million, 10 million remains. Pipe dream, sign Suter.

Wow this is the first time I've seen a scenario written down where we make out great re-signing AND land Suter

It's probably a long shot but this proves that we could do some work this offseason

Edited by Onddeck

Her's a list of our UFA's and our cap space according to Capgeek...

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=20

Cap space - $28,045,834

My predictions...

Forwards:

Zach Parise - 70 million/10 years (7 million cap hit)

Alex Ponikarovsky - 3 million/2 years (1.5 mil cap hit)

Ryan Carter - 4.5 Million/ 3 years (1.5 million cap hit)

Petr Sykora - Retires/leaves as UFA

Cam Jannsen - Leaves as UFA

Steve Bernier - 6 million/3 years (2 million cap hit)

Stephen Gionta - 8 million/4 years (2 million cap hit)

Defense:

Bryce Salvadore - Leaves as UFA

Peter Harrold - Leaves as UFA

Goalies:

Marty Brodeur - 8 million/2 years (4 million cap hit)

Johan Hedberg - Retires/Leaves as UFA

Cap spent 18 million, 10 million remains. Pipe dream, sign Suter.

No way Marty makes $4 million next season. He makes between $1.8 and $2.8 next season, and that is only if Lou gives him "Jeter-esque" consideration for his symbolism to the franchise.

No way Marty makes $4 million next season. He makes between $1.8 and $2.8 next season, and that is only if Lou gives him "Jeter-esque" consideration for his symbolism to the franchise.

A lot of people here seem to think he'll get $3+M next year. I think it'll be more like $2.5M.

Goaltenders

I think Marty stays, and that's about as sure a thing as you can get. I would think he's only going to Montreal if the opening's there, and unless he wants to back up for Price not happening. Marty stays, hopefully for a more team-friendly deal ($3-3.5 mm cap hit). I'm not against Hedberg per se, but wasn't he injured one of the few times we needed him? I understand the chemistry factor, but we need a backup that we can throw to the lions on a moment's notice and have him step up. Don't know much about him but Josh Harding is a 27 year old UFA who had similar seasonal numbers to Hedberg...that would be ideal based on Capgeek's UFAs. I want NO part of Gustavsson or most other of the goalies on the market. Harding or Hedberg, one of which can probably be had for cheap. Call it 1.5 MM Cap Hit for Guy #2.

Forwards:

Parise is job #1, and Minnesota is going to start a bidding war for him. I hope he stays for about what everyone else is looking for him: $7-7.5MM Cap Hit. If Parise leaves, he will not be replaced next year by one player, and I think we'd need to kill people with depth. That said, in that scenario overpay the entire fourth line slightly ($1mm cap hit each, maybe slightly higher for Carter). And TBH, I believe we should give the fourth line the chance to play a whole season together next year and see what they've got, so they should all be locked up anyway. Poni to me is hit or miss, if we get him great, if not I'm sure we can find a replacement for what he's making. Sykora is tough...I think he'll be resigned by NJ and we'll hate the contract. Ideally he retires, goes outside of the US, or takes a team-friendly one-year deal to get back on the boat for one last go. Finding his replacement will be difficult. May I suggest noted Ranger-killer P-A Parenteau? Janssen...so long, and thanks for the fish.

Defensemen

Salvador is getting phat paid...by someone else. He's probably earned himself one more big deal, and I can see a team desperate for veteran defensive help offering him 3/$14 or 2/$7.5. Harrold is keepable, but he better be so at worst $750k hit. Tender Fayne an offer...he had a horrid playoffs as far as I saw but he's a low-cost defenseman (1 way deal @ $577,500) who appeared to be above that value this year.

Replace Salvador from within or sign Suter. If we don't get Suter and Sal comes back for a reasonable 2-year deal fine but we have the depth to replace him. And if Salvador comes back or Suter signs, in all likeliness see ya Harrold.

Signing Suter would be a coup for this team, but I'm not sure if it's reality. His current deal is $3.5 MM cap hit, and clearly he'll want a raise. We could sign him to a decent-sized deal but if we had him and Parise then we'd basically be saying Tedenby and Zharkov will replace Sykora and Poni, and we may have to dump Hedberg for <AHL GOALIE HERE>.

I think the biggest thing (other than Parise, of course) is going to be getting a 2nd line winger to fill in Sykora's role. Someone with speed who can help on the forecheck in the corner. Quick glance at the UFA list brings up Brad Boyes as a project.

Also, if Gomez is bought out, I'm sure that will be brought into consideration as well.

If the financial issues are cleared up this summer, I'm not sure why signing Suter is so far from reality. If not him, maybe they try for Wideman. I think a huge missing piece for the Devils is that all around dman with a big offensive upside. Salvador kind of became this guy in the postseason, but we all know it probably won't happen again. After a season like this one, the Devils would be a great destination for some players looking to do some real damage in the playoffs in the future.

If the Devils can land one of these guys, they will have the freedom to trade to fill in some holes in the offense, or even a goalie at this point. The question is: do they still try for Harding?

if the devils sign ANY outside defenseman for more than $1MM, i will eat my hat.

this D is locked in for next year:

tallinder-zidlicky

fayne-greene

larsson-volchenkov

they need a 7th and i'd say there's a good chance its peter harrold on a one way. they are not signing suter or wideman or anything of the sort.

if the devils sign ANY outside defenseman for more than $1MM, i will eat my hat.

this D is locked in for next year:

tallinder-zidlicky

fayne-greene

larsson-volchenkov

they need a 7th and i'd say there's a good chance its peter harrold on a one way. they are not signing suter or wideman or anything of the sort.

Agreed. And that's not even considering the Devils have Merill who may even be good enough to make the team out of camp. Not to mention Gelinas and Urbom waiting also.

Here is my super sexy lineup for next season:

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.250m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)

Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)

Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.000m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)

Ryan Carter ($1.250m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.900m) / Steve Bernier ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($6.500m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m)

Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Adam Larsson ($0.925m)

Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m) / Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m)

Mark Fayne ($1.250m)

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($3.500m)

Johan Hedberg ($1.500m)

BUYOUTS

Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)

these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000;

CAP PAYROLL: $67,304,166;

BONUSES: $262,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,995,834

Edited by njdevil26

Trade someone like Greene for forward help (Sam Gagner), sign the Parise + Suter package deal, and boom! Ok, that is my dream world...I agree that the defense is essentially locked in and I'd welcome Harrold back as the 7th.

Here is my super sexy lineup for next season:

Fayne was a top 2 defensemen for the Devils last year, what did he do to deserve getting dropped to 7th? He's going to be in the top 4 for years to come.

I can't agree with this. The Kings just demonstrated, in painful fashion, the value of size and brute force. So I can't see ANY team signing two players the size of the Gionta brothers. They both have heart, soul, talent. They are a pleasure to watch. But they will have their asses handed to them by the Charas of the league without a supporting cast (read: protection). Having two of them means either fielding a midget line or having two lines each with a player whose sheer lack of mass needs to be compensated for. Can't see it. Any team can have one pocket rocket, but two is pushing it IMHO.

Suter is an absolute pipe dream. It is just not happening. Especially if we re-sign Parise. Yes they are friends blah blah blah but Detroit is going to throw bags of money at him, as will every team in the league. Have to look for more sensible solutions.

Think about it, signing Parise and Suter in the same off season would have the Devils sign the two most lucrative free agents on the market, by a long shot. When have we ever done that before? Not only that, you have to think of the actual dollars available. It probably is not in our best interests to spend up to the cap this year.

Suter is an absolute pipe dream. It is just not happening. Especially if we re-sign Parise. Yes they are friends blah blah blah but Detroit is going to throw bags of money at him, as will every team in the league. Have to look for more sensible solutions.

Think about it, signing Parise and Suter in the same off season would have the Devils sign the two most lucrative free agents on the market, by a long shot. When have we ever done that before? Not only that, you have to think of the actual dollars available. It probably is not in our best interests to spend up to the cap this year.

Whether it's a long shot or not... none of us are going to be the ones making phone calls on July 1st... so we can speculate and dream can't we? Just showing how we could keep the team together and sign Parise/Suter and fit everyone under the cap that's all.

You saying it's not in our best interest to spend up to the cap... why not? Do you have the financial books? Lou has almost never been given a budget lower than the salary cap. You should know this by now... the team has no problem spending money. I think at one point last season, they were still paying three head coaches... a lot of buyouts... we were at the roster limit paying everyone possible...

Whether it's a long shot or not... none of us are going to be the ones making phone calls on July 1st... so we can speculate and dream can't we? Just showing how we could keep the team together and sign Parise/Suter and fit everyone under the cap that's all.

You saying it's not in our best interest to spend up to the cap... why not? Do you have the financial books? Lou has almost never been given a budget lower than the salary cap. You should know this by now... the team has no problem spending money. I think at one point last season, they were still paying three head coaches... a lot of buyouts... we were at the roster limit paying everyone possible...

The Devils are no longer going to be a cap team unless they get a serious infusion of cash, or the salary cap comes down and there's salary rollbacks along with it.

It's not totally far fetched to think that they COULDN'T sign both Suter and Parise, money wise. We only have five players under contract past next year:

Kovalchuk $6.67 mil

Volchenkov $4.25 mil

Tallinder $3.375 mil

Greene $3.00 mil

Larsson $0.93 mil

Granted, we will have Henrique, Josefson and Fayne (this year) under RFA status. But that's a whole boatload of free space.

The Devils are no longer going to be a cap team unless they get a serious infusion of cash, or the salary cap comes down and there's salary rollbacks along with it.

What about this anonymous potential investor? Do you think he could provide enough cash to get this team to spend up to the cap if necessary?

the issue isn't so much spending to the cap on a year by year basis. i would think this team has about $80mm in revenue w/ one round of playoffs. the issue is that they need to make enough profit to somehow get this loan paid off in the next 10 years. there's no $80mm payment coming this summer in any way. Its going to be refinanced to where, say, $20mm is paid and the loan is stretched out another 5-10 years.

regarding suter - everyone is right - technically he is affordable. but its a huge waste of resources to go after him. it is not a position of need for the devils. unless volchenkov is being traded (NMC) there's not really a slot for him. the devils defense was fairly excellent this year and should only improve next year with a full year of tallinder and zidlicky and a sophomore year from Larsson.

Is it really that much of a pipe dream to get suter? I get that the red wings are ganna throw a ton of money at him but we just came off a SCF appearance and are probably only 1 or 2 pieces away from winning this thing. If im Lou, i am really aggressive this off-season. And after finding out that hes keeping the pick, i think he will be.