Rank Our Forwards

Jerseydevils0324

I feel we are very depthful at forward and do have some quality guys for the 3rd and 4th lines. Include minor leaguers, and injuries.

When healthy Top 15 Forwards

1a. Kovalchuk

1b. Parise

2. Elias

3. Zajac (when at 100%)

4. Henrique

5. Zubrus

6. Clarkson

7. Ponikarovsky

8. Sykora

9. Josefson

10. Bernier

11. Carter

12. Tedenby

13. Palmieri

14. Mills

When playoffs come around you have reserve forwards on the roster. There is plenty of size here with Poni, Zubie, Bernier, Kovy, Palmieri, and Clarky adds some size. So there shouldn't be much of a need for Boulton/Janssen. Parise and Kovy split top spot for me. Maybe one or two more guy should be added for the deadline (injury depth @center, and a another solid 3rd/4th liner.

What would your ranks be?

Edited by Jerseydevils0324

What would your ranks be?

1) Kovy

2) Parise

3) Elias

4) Zajac

5) Henrique

6) Zubrus

7) Clarkson

8) Sykora

9) Poni

10) Josefson

11) Carter

12) Bernier

13) Palmieri

14) Zalewski

15) Mills

16) Boulton

17) Sestito

18) Zharkov

19) Janssen

20) Tedenby

Edited by DevsMan84

I think the interesting part of this thread is namely the top players. That said...

1. ELIAS - best overall forward on team; makes others better, has transitioned to center beautifully, and is sound defensively as well for the most part.

2. PARISE - tons of speed, smart player, works ridiculously hard. not as much a "pure talent" as Kovalchuk, but sets a great example every night and deserves to be the captain.

3. KOVALCHUK - the most skilled guy on the team, and NJs best passer (which is often overshadowed by his propensity for goal scoring); has on-ice vision like no one else on the team; has put up a big effort every single night this season and has become a great Devil; very close with Parise in overall value, but I put him at the 3-spot for now.

4. ZAJAC - this one is difficult given his injury, and last year's lackluster performance. But prior to last year, I used to tell people he was our best defensive forward, and I still believe that will prove to be true. Has a good skillset, sees the ice well, and is definitely one of the better 2-way centers in the league. I know he's primarily been our #1 center last few years, so no one thinks of him as a #2 or #3, but that's probably the role he'll fall into if Elias & Henrique keep it up. Overall, very solid player.

5. HENRIQUE - not much sample data on this guy yet to compare him with others, but based on what we see, his work ethic, his creativity, and his ability to make things happen, he's certainly in the top player discussion, but obviously, #4 and #5 are not in the same discussion as #s 1-3.

6. ZUBRUS - one of my favorite Devils now; works insanely hard every game and has become our true utility guy; can play any position; not much of a finisher, but he's having an incredible season, and when he's not putting up points, he's running guys, digging in the corner, extremely valuable piece to this puzzle.

• Like 1

I think the interesting part of this thread is namely the top players. That said...

1. ELIAS - best overall forward on team; makes others better, has transitioned to center beautifully, and is sound defensively as well for the most part.

2. PARISE - tons of speed, smart player, works ridiculously hard. not as much a "pure talent" as Kovalchuk, but sets a great example every night and deserves to be the captain.

3. KOVALCHUK - the most skilled guy on the team, and NJs best passer (which is often overshadowed by his propensity for goal scoring); has on-ice vision like no one else on the team; has put up a big effort every single night this season and has become a great Devil; very close with Parise in overall value, but I put him at the 3-spot for now.

4. ZAJAC - this one is difficult given his injury, and last year's lackluster performance. But prior to last year, I used to tell people he was our best defensive forward, and I still believe that will prove to be true. Has a good skillset, sees the ice well, and is definitely one of the better 2-way centers in the league. I know he's primarily been our #1 center last few years, so no one thinks of him as a #2 or #3, but that's probably the role he'll fall into if Elias & Henrique keep it up. Overall, very solid player.

5. HENRIQUE - not much sample data on this guy yet to compare him with others, but based on what we see, his work ethic, his creativity, and his ability to make things happen, he's certainly in the top player discussion, but obviously, #4 and #5 are not in the same discussion as #s 1-3.

6. ZUBRUS - one of my favorite Devils now; works insanely hard every game and has become our true utility guy; can play any position; not much of a finisher, but he's having an incredible season, and when he's not putting up points, he's running guys, digging in the corner, extremely valuable piece to this puzzle.

This list is my choice thank you for preparing it

Tedenby is ahead of Sykora!? Really?!

I took into account their potential, to some degree. That's also why Josefson is ahead of Ponikarovsky right now. As of lately, Sykora has not done much and Tedenby seems to have just been in a sophomore slump that he will almost definitely get past. Similarly, that's why I ranked Zharkov ahead of Bernier because I believe Zharkov can be a very effective player despite doing less than Bernier this year.

I took into account their potential, to some degree. That's also why Josefson is ahead of Ponikarovsky right now. As of lately, Sykora has not done much and Tedenby seems to have just been in a sophomore slump that he will almost definitely get past. Similarly, that's why I ranked Zharkov ahead of Bernier because I believe Zharkov can be a very effective player despite doing less than Bernier this year.

Zajac had a bit of a sophomore slump too, but still a managed decent numbers.

Tedenby has pretty much fallen off the face of the planet.

Also I like zharkovs hustle, but I don't want him taking a spot away in the lineup from someone who can produce. A lot of players hustle, but I'd rather have someone who can score here and there.

cant believe all of you guys have not only FORGOT Janssen... but put Parise ahead of him.. ridiculous, what team are you watching?

When I was doing mine, I did put Janssen in there at one point, and then took him out as I changed my mind on other players and then completely forgot about him lol.

I edited mine again and added him in there.

1) Elias

2) Kovalchuk

3) Parise

4) Zajac

5) Zubrus

6) Henrique

7) Clarkson

8) Ponikarovsky

9) Sykora

10) Josefson

11) Bernier

12) Zalewski

13) Palmieri

14) Zharkov

15) Tedenby

16) Zalewski

17) Boulton

18) Mills

19) Sestito

20) Janssen

Zajac had a bit of a sophomore slump too, but still a managed decent numbers.

Tedenby has pretty much fallen off the face of the planet.

Also I like zharkovs hustle, but I don't want him taking a spot away in the lineup from someone who can produce. A lot of players hustle, but I'd rather have someone who can score here and there.

I think Zharkov is a moot discussion right now, in terms of adding anything to the team this season. I think it's been discussed before that he'd have to pass through waivers, and we likely don't want to risk him being claimed by another team, if he can be an effective spark plug/checker for us next year and beyond. Don't forget that we have a lot of stop-gaps right now in the lineup that likely won't be here next year (Sykora, Bernier, Ponikorovsky, Janssen, Foster, Salvador). Hopefully Zharkov and Tedenby are good enough for our squad next season, but I wouldn't expect either to rejoin the team before then. Mind you, any of the above-mentioned guys can probably play their way into a short-term contract, which is kind of nice (extra motivation for these guys to kick it up a notch). But I wouldn't assume any of those names will be back. We might wanna re-sign Poni, but a 6-game sample size isn't enough. Let's see what he does rest of the year and playoffs.

1. Kovy - has accounted for maybe 10 additional wins this season.

2. Parise - a team leader, a maniac on the forecheck

3. Elias - so great on the ice - has made so many big feeds and started so many huge plays

4. Zajac - changes the way the other team has to play us - top 5 defensive forward in the game

5. Zubrus - underrated warrior. A beast at fighting for the puck along the boards and digging out possession for us.

6. Henrique - came along when no one else was playing well and honestly is the force that jump-started us this season

7. Clarkson - great at fighting for the puck and taking it deep into the zone. is a great tool to have as he can fight the other team's goon and score the gwg.

8. Sykora - clutch goal scorer

9. Poni - good 2 way game and a necessary depth addition

10. Josefson - going to be a great playmaker but not quite a noisemaker yet

11. Zharkov - what is going on? why is he not good enough to be on our 4th line?

12. Tedenby - the kid can be really good. but he'll never succeed with 3rd line players and there's no room for him to play on a higher line.

13. Palmieri - Big body. Sometimes he's good sometimes he plays like he's 5 foot 8 160 pounds.

14. Bernier - Honestly looks good out there. Has made some good plays.

15. Boulton - Solid 4th line veteran.

16. Sestito - Has played enough games to know our system and be good when called up from time to time

17. Mills - Not NHL caliber but smart enough not to try and do to much. Makes the smart play.

18. Carter - Not a necessary component but has my confidence playing a few minutes a game.

19. Janssen - Entertains us once in awhile but has proven to be unnecessary. Clarkson does his whole job plus much more.

20. Zalewski - Should not see any NHL action.

Edited by ben00rs

I completely forgot Carter on my list. I guess I'd put him around 12, bump everyone down accordingly. Damn we're deep, especially with mediocre players.

How can you put Elias ahead of Kovalchuk? not to take anything away from Patrik but you guys are really over thinking this one. Also nobody seems to want to give Ponikarovsky any love

He's more consistent with worse linemates. He's the best defensive forward on the team. He's an elite passer. While Kovy makes great passes, sometimes the other guy isn't ready. Look how much better Sykora is than he's been in years. No disrespect to Kovy. He's coming into his own with the Devils, but Elias is the glue on this team.

He's more consistent with worse linemates. He's the best defensive forward on the team. He's an elite passer. While Kovy makes great passes, sometimes the other guy isn't ready. Look how much better Sykora is than he's been in years. No disrespect to Kovy. He's coming into his own with the Devils, but Elias is the glue on this team.

Well look at it this way, if Elias goes down, would you consider that a bigger loss than Kovy? Sure Elias is a great defensive forward, definitely has that over Kovalchuk but even the passing you're not paying Kovalchuk his dues.He can spread the puck around just as well as Elias and Kovalchuk is a huge part of why the power play is doing so well.

Elias is a quieter player, which I think accounts for why he is so underrated. His game is about the little things that he can do with the puck and his great vision. Basically, making a lot out of a little. The stats don't lie in his case. And while I still ranked Kovy higher, either one of them probably deserves the #1.

1. Kovy

2. Elias

3. Parise

4. Henrique

5. Zubrus

6. Clarkson

7. Poni (I really hope he sticks around. Fits like a glove.)

8. Zajac - Should be higher, but not this moment.

9. Sykora

10. Josefson

11. Bernier

12. Carter

13. Zharkov

14. Palmieri

15. Boulton/Janssen

Not so sure if Bernier will cement himself into the line-up, hope he can. Here is what I would like the lines to look like when Zajac is back.

Parise-Henrique-Clarkson (Speed, hard work,and grit)

Kovy-Elias-Zubrus (I think they would make a great trio. Zubie and Kovy have gelled SH recently, and Elias can't hurt chemistry, only help it)

Poni-Zajac-Sykora (Zajac and Poni provide good 2-Way games, could be more of a shutdown line. Poni adds size.)

Carter-Josefson-Bernier (Solid fourth line)

Size on every line or a physical presence, goal scoring threat (not so much on 4th line), and a playmaker.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324

Well look at it this way, if Elias goes down, would you consider that a bigger loss than Kovy? Sure Elias is a great defensive forward, definitely has that over Kovalchuk but even the passing you're not paying Kovalchuk his dues.He can spread the puck around just as well as Elias and Kovalchuk is a huge part of why the power play is doing so well.

Yes. I appreciate Kovy's contributions, and I know he's playing the PK as well as the PP and even strengths, but Elias has doen 2 things that Kovy doesn't. 1) He plays the best d of all the forwards, and that is essential with a young, injured and mediocre defensive corps. 2) He makes the people around him better. Zach is having a offensive worse year with Kovy and Henrique than with Zajac and Langenbrunner. Henrique has played nearly as well on OFFENSE as Zajac, and Kovy is clearly better than Langenbrunner, so logically Zach should be better. I know he's trying to come back from the injury, and I would accept that, except Josefson has played better this year without Kovy as well. I'm not bashing Kovy, I think he's the second best forward on the team, and a damn close second, but he's not necessarily easy to play with. When you consider that Sykora is playing the best he has in years and Zubrus has consistently played his best hockey when on Elias' line throughout his time with the Devils, I think that's enough of a sample.

Kovalchuk does things no one else in the LEAGUE can do, forget the team, and he does them with tremendous flair. Elias has quietly become the most important player on the team, though.

1) Elias, consistency is the reason

2) Kovy, his ability to dominate a game

3) Parise, up and down season so far

4) Henrique, opens lots of eyes

5) Zubrus, a very solid player

6) Clarkson, 20G says it all

7) Ponikarovsky, if he keeps his current pace, he will be higher

8) Bernier, same as above

9) Sykora, cooled off a bit

10) Josefson, getting better with Bern and Poni

11) Zajac, he is a top-5 when healthy

12) Palmieri, disappointing season