Emotional Reaction to Parise Leaving

thefiestygoat

I have mixed emotions about Parise leaving yet I'm also strangely at ease. No doubt this loss hurts not only on a hockey level but an emotional level. As much as I want to get angry at him and boo him when he returns, I can't help but think of all the great moments and excitement he has given us since they drafted him in 2003. I want to be angry at him for taking a ton of money to go play with his friend in his hometown where his dad was a great player. I want to be upset that he is walking away as captain of our favorite team, a team that fell 2 wins short of greatness. As much as I want to be upset I have to remember he earned the right to get this contract. He busted his ass for us every single moment he was a member of the organization. He gave us so much over the years to be proud of and to cheer for.

As much as I wanted the Devils to retain him, they may be dodging a bullet given the length and cap hit for the contract. I doubt he ages well. Why this sucks today, there are reasons to be hopeful about the future of this Devils team. They've lost a lot of guys to free agency in the past and have always rebounded, I have faith they will continue to do so.

Honestly, I don't know how I will react when he returns to The Rock. I want to boo the guy, but I also want to applaud him for his service to us. In the end I think I owe it out of respect to him to applaud him and thank him for his time here. Obviously, this was a tough decision for him to make and I'm sure he has been riding the emotional rollercoaster like a lot of us over this. I'm sorry if this is a bit of rambling on my part. I just want to see if others are as conflicted as me.

Thank you Zach Parise! Good luck in Minnesota!

Thanks for this, Fiesty. As much as it hurts for him to leave, as a smart GM, Lou cannot re-sign him. He'd be great for the team for the next few years, especially to mentor players like Henrique, but I guess when you face the facts, it was best for the organization to let him walk if the cost would be so high.

And now I guess it's time to bring on Captain Kovy!

not happy about losing him...ive been thinking it would happen and i was thinking it might be pitt so im really happy its a west cost team not named Detroit

makes me worry about next season....he's a 30 goal man and i don't think clarkson is getting to 30 again....sykora prob won't be back and if he is both him, patty, and zubs are a year older

I guess I'm not a good enough person to wish him good things in Minny. All the worst Zach! I hope we see Gomez-like futility and you never make the playoffs.

Edit: This post is not meant as an insult to any posters btw.

Edited by devils26

fvck Parise. I think he was full of sh!t all week. I hope he fails miserably out there.

And if we see him at the rock this year I'm booing. I say if cause we may not even get a chance to play against him if there is a lockout.

Better yet, we should start a "Kovys Better" chant

this.

This was why I almost got teary while watching the team return from the finals, because I knew that a team that came close to greatness would not get another chance. Don't read this wrong. WE (fans) will get another chance at some point. So long as there is a team in New Jersey, we'll have a shot at the finals, and be it next year or 15 years from now, we'll watch our team make another run. But this group of players only got one shot, and just missed it.

Love him but not all that surprised he's gone...I had been telling myself he was signing elsewhere all week so that way, if he did choose NJ it'd be a pleasant surprise. I'm honestly just glad he didn't sign with Pittsburgh as I would have lost a lot of respect for him. He was a great Devil and left us with a ton of memories...it's just sad to know there will be no more.

I'll be over it very soon...it's a hard loss but this team has taken bigger losses before, with players who have actually sealed the deal and led us to cup victories. I'm slightly put off, after he seemed like he did want to stay here but at the end of the day I understand his decision and I can't fault him for going to Minnesota. I do think that once the dust settles and we're a few months into the season, the realization of the decision might hit him because I don't see Minnesota as a legit contender for another few years.

I would still wear a Parise jersey proudly at Prudential Center. He was a star player for us and rarely took nights off. He's the most tenacious forechecker we've ever had, and one of the most consistent goal scorers.

For me, this one hurts as much as Niedermayer, but I won't hold it against Parise if he wants to play in Minnesota or even it's only because the Wild backed up the Brinks truck for him.

I would still wear a Parise jersey proudly at Prudential Center. He was a star player for us and rarely took nights off. He's the most tenacious forechecker we've ever had, and one of the most consistent goal scorers.

For me, this one hurts as much as Niedermayer, but I won't hold it against Parise if he wants to play in Minnesota or even it's only because the Wild backed up the Brinks truck for him.

Niedermayer is probably the 2nd most important player in the history of the franchise. That one hurt... To compare the two, I don't know... I like Parise a lot but he didn't do anything for this franchise compared to Scott Niedermayer.

Edited by capo

Niedermayer is probably the 2nd most important player in the history of the franchise. That one hurt... To compare the two, I don't know... I like Parise a lot but he didn't do anything for this franchise compared to Scott Niedermayer.

Personally, it hurt as much because of how much I like Zach Parise.

If a max contract , playing on a contender , captaincy and living in Jersey is not good enough for him then FVCK HIM. The Wild are annual disappointments and Parise and Suter are not enough to put them over the top. I hope this is the beginning of a lengthy career slide and many bitter moments for the Wild.