GDT: Game 4 Devils @ Canucks 10pm MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

Another positive is that those extra points to vancouver and edm went in the west conference so its not gonna bite us in the ass.

No, but those 2 points we didn't get could.

Guess chico thinks we traded Janssen to the 'nucks....

I wish.  :lol:

This team could very well be competing for the division if the defense gets addressed. They have the goaltending and offense to do it.

IMO, we don't have enough speed, nor do we have enough physicality on the blue line.

Since he won't move Carter to center or scratch Gionta, scratching Carter's the only way to get Olesz in the lineup.  Carter doesn't have to play every game but he shouldn't be sitting six in a row either.

Why doesn't this logic apply to Josefson?  Granted I think it's more likely Loktionov sits, but Gionta isn't getting a ton of ice time these days.

re: Pete scratching Volch last year, yeah he got scratched a handful of times when we had EIGHT d-men.   Now we have seven, and so far it's a rotation between Larsson and Fayne which is asinine.  But hey Volch was born a lefty which might be more important than his contract in keeping him in the lineup.

The only thing that got Volchenkov back into the lineup was Tallinder's injury, it's possible he could've been sitting a lot more if he'd stayed healthy.

Eventually this season, or just eventually? ;)

I could just take the conservative route and say eventually.  But dammit, I'm going all in and saying the Devils will win this season!

how bout tomorrow night.. yea that sounds good tomorrow night it is.

We need to be reasonable man!

Couldn't agree more about the defense.  Fayne needs to stay in the lineup because he's actually good with the puck and he's a good skater.  Only defenseman better at skating on this team is Adam Greene.  Looking back, I really wish we would have kept Tallinder.  Why Lou didn't use a compliance buyout on Volch boggles my mind.

Because we would have had to use it before the sale of the team was finalized. We can still use it after the season is over. I imagine there was concern about the actual dollars having to be paid.

Tallinder needed to go because it's clear he and Deboer weren't gonna be pals. He was definitely better than Sal or Volch. No question.

We only have one regulation loss so far. The sky is not falling.. There's a ton of new players, give them some time to mesh. Our offense looks better then last season already, and there's no reason our defense shouldn't be just as good.

again.. its not the new faces needing time to mesh for the most part the offense is only coming from the new face and elias so far.. the problem is the old faces .... still

We only have one regulation loss so far. The sky is not falling.. There's a ton of new players, give them some time to mesh. Our offense looks better then last season already, and there's no reason our defense shouldn't be just as good.

The funny thing is that the "new players" thing doesnt work cause they are the ones producing right now while our regulars are not doing much

Ya but the whole team is having a ton of defensive breakdowns and that is costing us games more than anything else. We need to shore up the defense especially the ridiculous amount of break aways we are giving up. We also need to actually work the puck out of our zone and posses it in the other teams. Right now we seem lost on clears and are icing the puck far to often. We are at our best when we are deliberate and grind down a team in their zone, that is the core of PDB's philosophy for the team.I do think LL put together a talented group this year but if we take to long to gel we could end up missing the playoffs just from allowing too many games to slip away and being unable to win in the shootout. All and all I feel like the prediction of us not making the playoffs or being in the Stanley Cup finals is entirely accurate.

Since we threw up the game day thread a day up early before, any chance we get Calgary up tonight so I don't have to keep rehashing a loss?

The funny thing is that the "new players" thing doesnt work cause they are the ones producing right now while our regulars are not doing much

The 'new players' have all been making critical errors on defense and in the neutral zone, too.  We'll see this improve as the year goes on.

They had a lot of those 'ties' at the start of the spiral of death last year.  Eventually you have to start WINNING games.

Gotta stop comparing last season to this one...the 2013 season is over, and a lot of the guys suiting up for the Devils this season weren't even on the team last year.  I'm not thrilled with what I've seen overall in these first four games either (the two-steps-slower thing that has reared its ugly head from time to time from 2004-on is ALWAYS maddening), but everyone really needs to start showing a little patience.  Unless the goalies were coming out of the chute standing on their heads, a slow start was probably to be expected.  Give it time.

• Like 1

Gotta stop comparing last season to this one...the 2013 season is over, and a lot of the guys suiting up for the Devils this season weren't even on the team last year.  I'm not thrilled with what I've seen overall in these first four games either (the two-steps-slower thing that has reared its ugly head from time to time from 2004-on is ALWAYS maddening), but everyone really needs to start showing a little patience.  Unless the goalies were coming out of the chute standing on their heads, a slow start was probably to be expected.  Give it time.

Not to mention I don't care what team it is, 10 game losing streaks are ridiculously rare.

Not to mention I don't care what team it is, 10 game losing streaks are ridiculously rare.

They'll probably have some extended losing streaks here and there...four-to-six games, but they'll still come up with some charity points.  Even during the 10-game disaster last season, they still came away with four points. 

Hard to say how they'll perform in OT, but shootouts are probably not going to be a strong suit for the foreseeable future.  If the Devils find a way go to .500ish in them this season, I'll be thrilled.  But being able to win those clearly helps to break up losing streaks.   

One of these years, I hope the NHL wakes up and puts a 3-2-1-0 point system in place...they don't seem to mind messing around with every other part of the game...not sure why some games being worth 3 points and others 2 points remains a sacred entity. 

I don't disagree with the message of patience.

But...

I think what Has is saying is he hopes DeBoer isn't merely as suggested above taking everything at face value, one game at a time as he is wont to repeat after each game.  The hope is that he is learning from past experience and is able to nip things in the bud, not let them spiral out of control thinking - Hey it's new guys, it's a new season, I have the same message, same system, same take on things and it will all work like clockwork this time because I have new guys. 

My fear is that DeBoer is the wrong mix of over-view and myopia.  He's looking at the details "the little things" with some guys and can't see that they fail in the scope of the big picture.  Then he looks at other guys and sees little errors or attitude sparks that are inappropriate (though not when taking into account age/experience) and nips those things in the bud not despite but BECAUSE they yield good results in terms of the big picture.

DeBoer has strict definitions.  Those definitions are hard to argue with. At face value I agree with them.  He can define everyone's role and the definitions are correct.  But it's implemented all wrong.  His job is indeed a kind of triage - but his priorities are out of balance.