The plus (+) minus (-) of The ROCK

El Diablo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(-1) For not having automatically flushing urinals in the bathrooms (like most other public places do these days)

(-1) For not having hand sanitizers available in the bathrooms (like most other public places)

(-1) For putting the Devils' logo on carpets rather than tiles which makes it more difficult to clean (will look pretty ugly after a few games)

(-1) No private bathrooms in the upper-level suites (the CAA had them)

(-1) With the "incomplete" jumbotron outside the arena that makes the screen looks like it's missing pieces.

In general, the structure is beautiful and the arena looks nice. I just think that Vanderbeek and company could have spent a little more cash on the "little details" such as tile and marble, and did something more creative than just plain 'ol sheetrock on the walls (perhaps vinyl or composite panneling).

For those of you who have been to newer arenas such as that of Toronto and Vancouver, this arena's WOW EFFECT is clearly stronger on the outside of the building than inside. That's my opinion...

(+1) you can see inside the practice arena from street level, going up to Broad Street.

(-1) For not having automatically flushing urinals in the bathrooms (like most other public places do these days)

(-1) For not having hand sanitizers available in the bathrooms (like most other public places)

(-1) For putting the Devils' logo on carpets rather than tiles which makes it more difficult to clean (will look pretty ugly after a few games)

(-1) No private bathrooms in the upper-level suites (the CAA had them)

(-1) With the "incomplete" jumbotron outside the arena that makes the screen looks like it's missing pieces.

In general, the structure is beautiful and the arena looks nice. I just think that Vanderbeek and company could have spent a little more cash on the "little details" such as tile and marble, and did something more creative than just plain 'ol sheetrock on the walls (perhaps vinyl or composite panneling).

For those of you who have been to newer arenas such as that of Toronto and Vancouver, this arena's WOW EFFECT is clearly stronger on the outside of the building than inside. That's my opinion...

(+1) you can see inside the practice arena from street level, going up to Broad Street.

Upper Level, behind sections 121-123. Foods of Newark concession area. Look carefully for it, for there's not a specific sign for "Jimmy Buff's."

Were those the Italian hot dogs? The line was huge for that part of the Tastes of Newark concession.

-1 for the incompetence of the staff. I waited about 20 minutes for a program, with 3 people in front of me. Gave up. Came back mid-way through the 1st, and wound up waiting another 20minutes before they decided they would do exact cash only if you wanted something quickly. I was 2nd person in line.

food was just as bad... service was soooooooooooooooooo slow.

-1 They need the common food back. Im fine with the specialties, but you shouldnt have to search out a basic hot dog. They should be at almost every stand.

-1 for the ultra narrow seats. This is a NEW arena. People are getting fatter, not skinnier. Why on earth did they make the seats substandard in size?

-1 I felt ripped off spending $100 a seat for front row middle Mezz. Im never going back to that section again at that price. Great sightlines, but Im sure its pretty much the same thing for a lot cheaper a couple rows up.

-1 The out of town scoreboard is very difficult to read; red on red - brilliant!

-1 the goal horn was very low

-1 they need to streamline getting into the building. I missed the ease of entering the CAA; I just didnt like what I saw when I got into the building

-1 they need the trains ready for after the game. philly has their subways sitting there waiting to get filled. Instead, I had to wait 30 minutes for a train to pull in, only to have it loaded with rangers fans. get "specials" running from Newark, not starting in New York

-----------------

+1 no more 'ole!!!!!

+1 anywhere i walked in the arena, i saw great sightlines

+1 loved the devils/hockey themed collections throughout the building

+1 loved the open flow of the arena

+1 no more stand still traffic, nice wide pathways

+1 loved the size of the jumbotron

+1 loved the double rings going around the arena but -1 they need the advertisements to stay either bright or dark. It was really effecting the lighting on the ice

I heard the concourse upstairs was a little tight.

I also heard and from reading on here the seats upstairs are only good if you're a teenager on your first date.

Yah, it was. Heard a lot of people say it felt just like CAA or I thought this was supposed to be wider than CAA.

The concourse size isn't proportional to the amount of seats they serve. The grand concourse downstairs is absolutely huge, but I'm guessing only about three-quarters of the people in the lower bowl use it (the club seat people all have the Ice and Fire lounges and Goal Bar). Meanwhile, the smaller upper concourses serve the mezzanine, balcony, and way-upstairs ticket holders. While most of the concessions on all concourses have lines WAY shorter than anything you'd find at CAA, a few (like the Jimmy Buff's part of Tastes of Newark) have pretty huge lines.

The concourse size isn't proportional to the amount of seats they serve. The grand concourse downstairs is absolutely huge, but I'm guessing only about three-quarters of the people in the lower bowl use it (the club seat people all have the Ice and Fire lounges and Goal Bar). Meanwhile, the smaller upper concourses serve the mezzanine, balcony, and way-upstairs ticket holders. While most of the concessions on all concourses have lines WAY shorter than anything you'd find at CAA, a few (like the Jimmy Buff's part of Tastes of Newark) have pretty huge lines.

Ahh, but you must walk on the Grand Concourse (which sounds funny if you ask me... "take the Grand Concourse sir) to get to and from the upper concourse, so that has to be wider.

But here's an easy fix: sit downstairs! :evil:

Ugh one big problem we found tonight...during the second intermission we wanted to explore the Grand Concourse and see the murals...but it's really hard to get downstairs. Sure, after seeing a map there are plenty of staircases, but they're poorly marked and there are no down escalators...that was disappointing.

Ugh one big problem we found tonight...during the second intermission we wanted to explore the Grand Concourse and see the murals...but it's really hard to get downstairs. Sure, after seeing a map there are plenty of staircases, but they're poorly marked and there are no down escalators...that was disappointing.

There are also elevators around that are pretty well hidden. I took one of them down to the main concourse, and that was pretty easy. Also, there is quite a selection of food down there that isn't marked that well. For example, I got a damn good bag of zeppoles at the boardwalk cheesesteak and sausage & peppers stand. I also noticed the sushi stand has a pretty good selection of chinese food as well. The bbq pork sandwich at the bbq cart in the grand concourse was decent too. Thumbs up to the food and service with a smile at the food stands so far.

The only - I could see was the speakers... they were way too loud and it was impossible to make out what anyone was saying half the time.

I sat down in the first row of the upper deck to see how uncomfortable these seats were... I was expecting worse. Now I'm 6 foot, and I found it somewhat comfortable.

I thought Jimmy Buff's was great.

The seats weren't that narrow.. at all. I felt fine...

Maybe some people were just expecting TOO much? This is way better than CAA, guys.

Another minus though, is that the Devils den stands weren't stocked. They had like 4 player shirts, 2 different colored hoodies, and hats. That was about it.

Great food selection.

Wide open concourses, but the arena seating itself is very intimate.

And for all those saying the escalator or elevators were hidden....no, they were not. Remember, everyone is new to the arena so the traffic flow inside is gonna be slow for the time being. Eventually you will find all the escalators and elevators you will ever need! Just do a little exploring. You dont needs signs every 5 steps to hold your hand.

And for all those saying the escalator or elevators were hidden....no, they were not. Remember, everyone is new to the arena so the traffic flow inside is gonna be slow for the time being. Eventually you will find all the escalators and elevators you will ever need! Just do a little exploring. You dont needs signs every 5 steps to hold your hand.