Quebec Nordiques Fan Group invading Prudential Center

NJ4life

Hi guys,

We will see each other at the game, I am among the ±2000 fans who will make the trip down to Newark for the game on April 10th.

First of all, let me ensure you that our main goal is simply to let Bettman know once more that we are crazy about hockey, and that if close to 2000 fans can drive 600 miles to watch one impact-less game, imagine how quick we could fill our brand new arena and purchase lots of NHL goods. Our mayor officially announced the construction of a 400M arena that will open in 2015 and a well know Canadian businessman Pierre-Karl Peladeau, owner of a multibillion multinational telecom company, did not hide his excitement to become a NHL team owner. His intentions are crystal clear.

You also need to know that as we did in Long Island, we will cheer for the home team and we will take every opportunity to make noise. It is a party after all right? You certainly know already but a few Quebecers play for your team. We will be cheering for them and for every other Devils. It is sad that your team will not do the playoffs this year, but in another way, that is better for us because as one of you mentioned, we will not take away tickets that would be sold to Devils fans...

On the other hand, you would not see that here... Imagine how simple it was for "Le Reve Sportif" to purchase 2000 tickets for a single game only 2 months prior to the game. That is abnormal. In Montreal or Toronto, or in every other hockey markets in Canada, you cannot get ticket that easily because there is an actual demand for them. It seems more and more obvious for us that a team must come back to us after a little break. We have more citizens, our economy is better, the USD and Canadian dollar are even, and there is a real government/city/citizen belief in this project.

Finally, I need to say that when you see people wearing the Nordiques shirt, it does not mean it is the Nordiques Nation although we encourage everyone to wear that beautiful fleurdelisé shirt. We only had 3 official trips since the foundation a few months ago: Long Island, Montreal, and now Newark.

We are peaceful but loud people. We just want to have a good time and again, show everybody at the NHL offices that we can be the best crowd.

Vincent, former and future Nordiques fan

Hi,

I hate to tell you this but this isn't going to go over with our fans the same way as the Islanders fans. You went to a game on Long Island with your fans being 2000 of the 10000 there. That means there was 5000+ additional empty seats. A Sunday game in NJ will sell out either way and the 2000 of you among our 15000+ fans is a bad situation no matter who you root for. We don't like to be compared to the Isles, Phoenix or Atlanta and we shouldn't be. This is a stable franchise with a young fan base! Our ticket prices can't even be compared to these other teams. Sure we have weeknight deals with significant savings but even those prices are more expensive than a lower level ticket in phoenix. Your presence says there's something wrong in Newark and i don't expect devils fans to welcome this! I hope you truly are peaceful and friendly but I also hope any banners you bring say nothing more than "let's go devils" or I assure you there will be problems.

We all know you all are trying to tell the NHL something and I do hope you get a team in the future but there are better ways to do it then trying to take over another teams home game. This is Jersey's team not Quebecs team, let's keep it that way!

Bill, current and future Devils fan

I'm not sure what to tell you other than I can't control what our other fans do. All I know is that I will be cheering that night as I always do.

Nice post.

you mean justification for coming here!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I hate to tell you this but this isn't going to go over with our fans the same way as the Islanders fans. You went to a game on Long Island with your fans being 2000 of the 10000 there. That means there was 5000+ additional empty seats. A Sunday game in NJ will sell out either way and the 2000 of you among our 15000+ fans is a bad situation no matter who you root for. We don't like to be compared to the Isles, Phoenix or Atlanta and we shouldn't be. This is a stable franchise with a young fan base! Our ticket prices can't even be compared to these other teams. Sure we have weeknight deals with significant savings but even those prices are more expensive than a lower level ticket in phoenix. Your presence says there's something wrong in Newark and i don't expect devils fans to welcome this! I hope you truly are peaceful and friendly but I also hope any banners you bring say nothing more than "let's go devils" or I assure you there will be problems.

We all know you all are trying to tell the NHL something and I do hope you get a team in the future but there are better ways to do it then trying to take over another teams home game. This is Jersey's team not Quebecs team, let's keep it that way!

You are arguing for no reason. I don't see this at all as them trying to take over or invade our arena. If that was their intention they wouldn't be rooting for the home team. Also I doubt they are going to run into any problems either way because our fans just do not care. We let RANGERS fans take over our arena on a regular basis and nobody says boo to them, everyone just sits there in silent embarassment. The Nordiques were never our rivals so I have no idea why some people of you people are being so protective and combative about this.

Edited by devilsfan26

Hi,

Absolutely terrific post mate. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Adam, current and future Devils fan.

Two things:

1) this thing has been coming for a long time, you're just realizing it now.

2) they've sold out 9 games this season, I would guess it'll end at 10 barring a big run-in of Habs fans Saturday.

actually, their attendance hasn't been that bad this year, throwing out the two snow games where they play games with the numbers. 14998 thus far. considering the lack of STH's this year and areas where Quebecois can buy entire sections well in advance, combined with the mindnumbing suck of the first half, it could have been alot worse. I'm sure they still bled money pretty hard, though.

Hi guys,

We will see each other at the game, I am among the ±2000 fans who will make the trip down to Newark for the game on April 10th.

First of all, let me ensure you that our main goal is simply to let Bettman know once more that we are crazy about hockey, and that if close to 2000 fans can drive 600 miles to watch one impact-less game, imagine how quick we could fill our brand new arena and purchase lots of NHL goods. Our mayor officially announced the construction of a 400M arena that will open in 2015 and a well know Canadian businessman Pierre-Karl Peladeau, owner of a multibillion multinational telecom company, did not hide his excitement to become a NHL team owner. His intentions are crystal clear.

You also need to know that as we did in Long Island, we will cheer for the home team and we will take every opportunity to make noise. It is a party after all right? You certainly know already but a few Quebecers play for your team. We will be cheering for them and for every other Devils. It is sad that your team will not do the playoffs this year, but in another way, that is better for us because as one of you mentioned, we will not take away tickets that would be sold to Devils fans...

On the other hand, you would not see that here... Imagine how simple it was for "Le Reve Sportif" to purchase 2000 tickets for a single game only 2 months prior to the game. That is abnormal. In Montreal or Toronto, or in every other hockey markets in Canada, you cannot get ticket that easily because there is an actual demand for them. It seems more and more obvious for us that a team must come back to us after a little break. We have more citizens, our economy is better, the USD and Canadian dollar are even, and there is a real government/city/citizen belief in this project.

Finally, I need to say that when you see people wearing the Nordiques shirt, it does not mean it is the Nordiques Nation although we encourage everyone to wear that beautiful fleurdelisé shirt. We only had 3 official trips since the foundation a few months ago: Long Island, Montreal, and now Newark.

We are peaceful but loud people. We just want to have a good time and again, show everybody at the NHL offices that we can be the best crowd.

I dont care if you guys come down and root for the devils, but if i see signs like "why not play hockey where it belongs" then i will have a serious problem with you guys.

Hi,

Really dude? They have nothing against the Devils and its not like these tickets were sold in the first place. You know that you would do the same thing if you were in the position where you lost your favorite sports team and wanted to make a move to get it back. Grow a pair, suck it up, and let it happen

Hi guys,

can you guys bring down some home-made poutine? please? i love that stuff.

There is definitely an agenda here and as much as a the kind French-Canadian wants to tell us not to worry, they are doing it for a reason. They were able to get over 2000 seats to the last game of the year with no problem. That is not a good thing for the Devils and their fans. There's no doubt that they are doing this to show the NHL that if the Nords came back or if they got any team, they would not allow tickets to be that available and they would be able to fill a stadium night in and night out. This guy is making it sound like they happened to choose the Devils by chance and just want to make a point to the NHL. They chose the Devils because this is one of the franchises they think they have a chance at getting. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise because that is exactly their objective.

Imagine if the Devils didn't have the hiccup last week and this game was actually important as far as getting into the playoffs is concerned. You'd have a lot of Devils fans that can't get tickets to the game because of the Nords fans. How asinine is that? But guess who allowed it? The Devils 'just want to make money' management.

I personally am not a big enough douche to do anything about it... I might not even be at that game now that the ticket prices are driven up because of the unavailability of tickets. I would probably actually be one of the guys hanging out with the Nords fans and making friends with them because for some reason I really like people from Quebec. There are a lot of fans that are going to take issue with this. The funny thing is they will probably make our arena much louder than it usually is.

Watching the Bruins-Hawks game and the Hawks-Wings game made me realize this week that the Devils are REALLY boring. Games never have intensity like that. Not even close.

Imagine if the Devils didn't have the hiccup last week and this game was actually important as far as getting into the playoffs is concerned. You'd have a lot of Devils fans that can't get tickets to the game because of the Nords fans. How asinine is that? But guess who allowed it? The Devils 'just want to make money' management.

Eh, I don't think any team would turn down 2000 ticket sales (for face value, as far as I know) no matter what group of fans was asking. Especially given that the team was 25 points out when many of them bought the tickets so it wouldn't shock me if they were worried about having to sell out the game, especially with all the tickets that were being given away in NOVEMBER.

Edited by NJDevs4978

There is definitely an agenda here and as much as a the kind French-Canadian wants to tell us not to worry, they are doing it for a reason. They were able to get over 2000 seats to the last game of the year with no problem. That is not a good thing for the Devils and their fans. There's no doubt that they are doing this to show the NHL that if the Nords came back or if they got any team, they would not allow tickets to be that available and they would be able to fill a stadium night in and night out. This guy is making it sound like they happened to choose the Devils by chance and just want to make a point to the NHL. They chose the Devils because this is one of the franchises they think they have a chance at getting. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise because that is exactly their objective.

I personally am not a big enough douche to do anything about it... I might not even be at that game now that the ticket prices are driven up because of the unavailability of tickets. I would probably actually be one of the guys hanging out with the Nords fans and making friends with them because for some reason I really like people from Quebec. There are a lot of fans that are going to take issue with this. The funny thing is they will probably make our arena much louder than it usually is.

Watching the Bruins-Hawks game and the Hawks-Wings game made me realize this week that the Devils are REALLY boring. Games never have intensity like that. Not even close.

Are you seriously going to bash the Devils management for wanting to make some money on selling tickets? Are you serious? The guy does have a point where he asked why was it so easy for them to buy 2000 tickets 2 months prior to playing an original six team on the last game of the season on fan appreciation night on a friggin weekend! The Devils did a lot this past year and off-season to try to get the fans back into the arena, but since our loyal fans have decided to sit at home or not go, the Devils management has no other choice but to sell to whomever they can get. It really just shows how piss-poor a lot of our fans are.

Are you seriously going to bash the Devils management for wanting to make some money on selling tickets? Are you serious? The guy does have a point where he asked why was it so easy for them to buy 2000 tickets 2 months prior to playing an original six team on the last game of the season on fan appreciation night on a friggin weekend! The Devils did a lot this past year and off-season to try to get the fans back into the arena, but since our loyal fans have decided to sit at home or not go, the Devils management has no other choice but to sell to whomever they can get. It really just shows how piss-poor a lot of our fans are.

My comment was probably a little unfair. I have a gripe with management for a number of things and I always find a way to dig at them whenever I can whether it's warranted or not. But there is no way that anyone can question my loyalty to this team or tell me I'm a "loyal fan that decided to sit at home" or something. WITHOUT season tickets I have been to 63 home games in the past two seasons while having a crappy financial situation and I should probably not go to ANY.

My comment was probably a little unfair. I have a gripe with management for a number of things and I always find a way to dig at them whenever I can whether it's warranted or not. But there is no way that anyone can question my loyalty to this team or tell me I'm a "loyal fan that decided to sit at home" or something. WITHOUT season tickets I have been to 63 home games in the past two seasons while having a crappy financial situation and I should probably not go to ANY.

I am not questioning you directly, I was meaning there are a lot of Devils fans in general that sit at home and never attend any games and then sit around and complain about how our arena is never full and how dare rival fans invade our arena so easily. I have been to about 50 games these past 2 seasons myself with no season or partial plan and mostly getting these tickets on stubhub, through friends, or finding deals online and using coupon codes.

The Devils for the first time actually reached out the fans this past season and off-season and it looks to be at least heading in the right direction, but still a work in progress. Under McMullen they never even had a marketing department so at least management now gives a damn about the fans, but the fans will have to start giving a damn about the team.

I still blast the team about certain stuff like the promos, but I cannot say that they are at least not trying.

This guy is making it sound like they happened to choose the Devils by chance and just want to make a point to the NHL. They chose the Devils because this is one of the franchises they think they have a chance at getting. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise because that is exactly their objective.

I agree with the great majority of your posts, but this is silly. Phoenix and Atlanta are the prizes, and possibly one Canadain city may get one of those teams. It seems like for the last 2 years that projected city has been Winnipeg. Quebec finally has some money and a potential owner and the green light for a new stadium. If I were one of them, I'd be jonesing so bad for live hockey at the NHL level I'd be able to taste it - seeing stories in the news every day about where the stadium would go, etc, just making the enthusiasm bigger every day. Remember the daily nonsense we had all summer with Kovy, the 600+ page thread with Ninja girls and the rest? Times that by 1000x, because it's not one good guy it's a whole freaking team in a place that lost their team for every reason other than fan loyalty and fervor.

Think about it like this - They can't get 2000 tickets to a rangers game, which is closest to the NHL offices in Manhattan, so they got tickets to the 2 next closest teams. They likely can't get 2000 tickets to Boston either, but I don't know. I think they got 1100 to the Islanders game.

If you want to discount the fact that its 600 miles to The Rock from Quebec, and without any bus stops at all it's at least 7 1/2 hours (according to Mapquest) WITHOUT the hassle of going through passports and paperwork for what seems to be 40+ buses, then OF COURSE they are going to go see the closest teams they can that actually have the tickets. They could definitely get tickets to a Coyotes game, but the trip....jeez, if they pulled off that trip I'd think they deserve to take the team home with them on the buses, frankly.

Anyway, this fear mongering strikes me as paranoid. The "you guys better watch out or there will be problems" attitude strikes me as more sensible Devils fans acting like rags and flyers fans: you're not, you're better than that. Remember you are the Have's here and not the Have Not's and show a little empathy toward these folks and the children they are bringing with them. If you have tickets to this game, the house will be packed and the place will be ROCKING. Go, Rock your Red, and know you'll be greated in your jersey 5 or 10 years from now when you pop up to Quebec City with your lady in tow for a romantic weekend and a Devils away game.

I am not questioning you directly, I was meaning there are a lot of Devils fans in general that sit at home and never attend any games and then sit around and complain about how our arena is never full and how dare rival fans invade our arena so easily. I have been to about 50 games these past 2 seasons myself with no season or partial plan and mostly getting these tickets on stubhub, through friends, or finding deals online and using coupon codes.

The Devils for the first time actually reached out the fans this past season and off-season and it looks to be at least heading in the right direction, but still a work in progress. Under McMullen they never even had a marketing department so at least management now gives a damn about the fans, but the fans will have to start giving a damn about the team.

I still blast the team about certain stuff like the promos, but I cannot say that they are at least not trying.

Unfortunately I don't give the management too much credit for the changes made. They are getting free labor from diehard fans to figure out what us fans want and need because they have absolutely no idea. It was also made very apparent to me by the people in the organization that I spoke with that Lou and Co. knew for years what they have been holding back from us and did not have a desire to change a thing because of the success of the team. They absolutely got caught with their pants down this year and are struggling to try to make things better for us. I have dealt with this team in many ways for many years and I am damn certain that the prices are lowered last year to bring more fans in for a successful season so they can raise prices again the following year and hope they people come back.

Unfortunately I don't give the management too much credit for the changes made. They are getting free labor from diehard fans to figure out what us fans want and need because they have absolutely no idea. It was also made very apparent to me by the people in the organization that I spoke with that Lou and Co. knew for years what they have been holding back from us and did not have a desire to change a thing because of the success of the team. They absolutely got caught with their pants down this year and are struggling to try to make things better for us. I have dealt with this team in many ways for many years and I am damn certain that the prices are lowered last year to bring more fans in for a successful season so they can raise prices again the following year and hope they people come back.

You are right here on many points but I think you are too hard on what the current management is trying to do. Yeah they are getting free labor with the Devils Generals but honestly, they are starting from scratch and this is a team who has been consistently one of the best teams in the league for the past 15 years and still fail to attract fans to games. This would boggle a lot of other marketing departments as well as the product is fine, you have a brand new state-of-the-art arena and the fans still are not coming. Yeah you can use ticket prices as a reason but that is the same for every other team in every pro sport in North America.

You are correct in that the excuse used for many years for not marketing the team better or reaching out to the fans was because of their success, but remember this is the first set of owners (at least JVB) who are at least willing to shell out money for the team and not be the perennial Scrooge that was McMullen.

I agree with the great majority of your posts, but this is silly. Phoenix and Atlanta are the prizes, and possibly one Canadain city may get one of those teams. It seems like for the last 2 years that projected city has been Winnipeg. Quebec finally has some money and a potential owner and the green light for a new stadium. If I were one of them, I'd be jonesing so bad for live hockey at the NHL level I'd be able to taste it - seeing stories in the news every day about where the stadium would go, etc, just making the enthusiasm bigger every day. Remember the daily nonsense we had all summer with Kovy, the 600+ page thread with Ninja girls and the rest? Times that by 1000x, because it's not one good guy it's a whole freaking team in a place that lost their team for every reason other than fan loyalty and fervor.

Think about it like this - They can't get 2000 tickets to a rangers game, which is closest to the NHL offices in Manhattan, so they got tickets to the 2 next closest teams. They likely can't get 2000 tickets to Boston either, but I don't know. I think they got 1100 to the Islanders game.

If you want to discount the fact that its 600 miles to The Rock from Quebec, and without any bus stops at all it's at least 7 1/2 hours (according to Mapquest) WITHOUT the hassle of going through passports and paperwork for what seems to be 40+ buses, then OF COURSE they are going to go see the closest teams they can that actually have the tickets. They could definitely get tickets to a Coyotes game, but the trip....jeez, if they pulled off that trip I'd think they deserve to take the team home with them on the buses, frankly.

Anyway, this fear mongering strikes me as paranoid. The "you guys better watch out or there will be problems" attitude strikes me as more sensible Devils fans acting like rags and flyers fans: you're not, you're better than that. Remember you are the Have's here and not the Have Not's and show a little empathy toward these folks and the children they are bringing with them. If you have tickets to this game, the house will be packed and the place will be ROCKING. Go, Rock your Red, and know you'll be greated in your jersey 5 or 10 years from now when you pop up to Quebec City with your lady in tow for a romantic weekend and a Devils away game.

This +2,000

I agree with most of what you said. The only point I am trying to make is that I really think the Nords fans are saying hey NHL look Jersey couldn't sell out their season finale against an original six team on a Sunday... so why should they have a team and we can't.

I also want to point out that I said I'd be the guy to make friends with all of them and hang out with them. I have no problem with them what-so-ever. I also pointed out that we do have some retarded fans that will start problems and I am not on board with that.

You definitely bring up some good points. We may disagree on some technical things but you're spot on. Especially with the romantic trip to Quebec City. It's stunningly beautiful there.

I agree with most of what you said. The only point I am trying to make is that I really think the Nords fans are saying hey NHL look Jersey couldn't sell out their season finale against an original six team on a Sunday... so why should they have a team and we can't.

Well, I think there's an element of truth to that to be honest. I just don't think they are also saying they want the Devils - though that would be an absolute nightmare for Montreal. It's amazing how many Canadiens fans really, really hate the Devils. Winning 3 Cups, and Jacques and Larry and Martin have really made us universally hated up there it seems.

I also want to point out that I said I'd be the guy to make friends with all of them and hang out with them. I have no problem with them what-so-ever. I also pointed out that we do have some retarded fans that will start problems and I am not on board with that.

Yeah, I apologize if my post really seemed aimed at you specifically, that wasn't my intention. Really, it was aimed at the room in general after the first sentence or so. :) You've been one of the most level headed on the subject since it first started coming up a while back.

And I agree, we have our share of blockhead fans. I like to think the majority of the neanderthal types gravitate to the rags, but every team has them including ours. Why you would even think of starting an issue with 2000+ people you know actually came together is beyond me, but a little liquid bravery before the game and you never know.

Still, I think it will be a good time for all, I really do. I had to give my tickets to one of my brothers because my son is playing in a hocley tournament that day, but I was really looking forward to going and saying Bonne chance et meilleurs voeux to as many folks in bleu as possible. I've been looking forward to this game because of the Nordiques fans, it seemed like something cool to be part of to me.

You definitely bring up some good points. We may disagree on some technical things but you're spot on. Especially with the romantic trip to Quebec City. It's stunningly beautiful there.

Salut Quebec! :) I can't wait to get back up to Quebec, it's beautiful country. And the pretty girls with those French accents, and Unibroue..:) It's all good! I'd love to go to a Devils game and have the beer on tap be 'La fin du Monde' instead of Bud Light LOL

Edited by jim777

Anyway, this fear mongering strikes me as paranoid. The "you guys better watch out or there will be problems" attitude strikes me as more sensible Devils fans acting like rags and flyers fans: you're not, you're better than that.

It's ridiculous. For years we have tolerated Rangers fans and, to a lesser extent, Flyers fans coming into our building and making it their new home if they are winning the game. Instead of us making it miserable for them, they make it miserable for us, and except in the case of the drunken a$$hole incidents they run into no problems at all, yet all of a sudden we are going to stand up to a group of Nordiques fans rooting for the Devils??? Please.

you really don't have a pleasant opinion of our fan base huh?

Great post dude!

As you said, we only focused on the closest arena from NHL offices that was possible to get as many tickets as possible. We come in peace and we will be cheering for your Devils.

It looks like many of you mix Habs fans and Nordiques fans. There is no way I am booing on a player or singing oléolé...hate that chant. It's a soccer chant...

Well, I think there's an element of truth to that to be honest. I just don't think they are also saying they want the Devils - though that would be an absolute nightmare for Montreal. It's amazing how many Canadiens fans really, really hate the Devils. Winning 3 Cups, and Jacques and Larry and Martin have really made us universally hated up there it seems.

Yeah, I apologize if my post really seemed aimed at you specifically, that wasn't my intention. Really, it was aimed at the room in general after the first sentence or so. :) You've been one of the most level headed on the subject since it first started coming up a while back.

And I agree, we have our share of blockhead fans. I like to think the majority of the neanderthal types gravitate to the rags, but every team has them including ours. Why you would even think of starting an issue with 2000+ people you know actually came together is beyond me, but a little liquid bravery before the game and you never know.

Still, I think it will be a good time for all, I really do. I had to give my tickets to one of my brothers because my son is playing in a hocley tournament that day, but I was really looking forward to going and saying Bonne chance et meilleurs voeux to as many folks in bleu as possible. I've been looking forward to this game because of the Nordiques fans, it seemed like something cool to be part of to me.

Salut Quebec! :) I can't wait to get back up to Quebec, it's beautiful country. And the pretty girls with those French accents, and Unibroue..:) It's all good! I'd love to go to a Devils game and have the beer on tap be 'La fin du Monde' instead of Bud Light LOL

Quebec city is beautiful and welcoming all you english speaking happy folks.

Poutine belongs here, there is a no way you can get a good poutine outside of Quebec city area. There is a French expression that sounds like this: often reproduced, never equalled. ;-)

How much for the beer at Prudential? In Bell Centre, it's 10.10$ jeeeeez!

Looking forward to shake hands with real Devils hans!

Great post dude!

As you said, we only focused on the closest arena from NHL offices that was possible to get as many tickets as possible. We come in peace and we will be cheering for your Devils.

It looks like many of you mix Habs fans and Nordiques fans. There is no way I am booing on a player or singing oléolé...hate that chant. It's a soccer chant...

Quebec city is beautiful and welcoming all you english speaking happy folks.

Poutine belongs here, there is a no way you can get a good poutine outside of Quebec city area. There is a French expression that sounds like this: often reproduced, never equalled. ;-)

How much for the beer at Prudential? In Bell Centre, it's 10.10$ jeeeeez!

Looking forward to shake hands with real Devils hans!

I hope you guys have a good experience here, i really do. The beer prices depend on what you get. If it is like coors or bud its $8 or $8.50, the imported beer is more i believe. Its a shame your crowd is so massive, otherwise we can show you some Devils hospitality and bring you guys on a tour of the Newark pubs...