Scott Stevens and Matt Shaw named assistant coaches

Mayday

Stevens is going to be a good coach

Sometimes a legendary player doesn't make a great coach. Gretzky couldn't do it, neither could Ted Williams or Bryan Trottier. A lot of times these great talents just have a hard time imparting their wisdom to others. The game came easily to them, they were just freaks of nature

Stevens was different, he wasn't blessed with Chara's size or Gretzky's 6th sense, or Bure's speed. He just flat out worked hard to become a dominant defenseman. I feel he'll be able to connect well with the talent on the ice. Plus like Larry he can be both the nice guy and the pissed off ice man you don't want to mess with...which is important because some guys need a pat on the shoulder and others need a scream in the ears.

All the assistant coaches have double letters in their name and two sets of letters (TT,RR). and the tt's are in the first name, and the rr's, are in the last name.

Scott Stevens, Matt Shaw, Dave Barr -Chris Terreri

I have watched enough movies and television to know that this is no coincidence

• Like 1

Stevens. On the Bench. It just sounds wonderful...again !

That attitude of "hating losing, more than enjoying winning" has to rub off on some players....

All the assistant coaches have double letters in their name and two sets of letters (TT,RR). and the tt's are in the first name, and the rr's, are in the last name.

Scott Stevens, Matt Shaw, Dave Barr -Chris Terreri

I have watched enough movies and television to know that this is no coincidence

its like the factoid that many of the NHL's highest scorers have 7-letters in the last name.

or maybe most people have 7-letters in their last name.

Rambling here.....

Stevens is going to be a good coach

Sometimes a legendary player doesn't make a great coach. Gretzky couldn't do it, neither could Ted Williams or Bryan Trottier. A lot of times these great talents just have a hard time imparting their wisdom to others. The game came easily to them, they were just freaks of nature

Stevens was different, he wasn't blessed with Chara's size or Gretzky's 6th sense, or Bure's speed. He just flat out worked hard to become a dominant defenseman. I feel he'll be able to connect well with the talent on the ice. Plus like Larry he can be both the nice guy and the pissed off ice man you don't want to mess with...which is important because some guys need a pat on the shoulder and others need a scream in the ears.

My only reason to hesitate calling this a great move is that one of the things Stevens did really well -- open ice shoulder to head hits -- is now forbidden. He did a lot more than that though, so hopefully it won't matter.

This is awesome news! Not only that Scotty is back but a friend of mine is a die hard Sharks fan and he loves Matt Shaw.

Good things are coming

#4 LGD!!

Edit: My friend loved Shaw

Edited by giodude

My link

“We have a lot of good, young defensemen and a lot of size, which I like,” Stevens said. “I definitely like size on defense. They take up a lot of space and make things difficult on the other team’s forwards. So, I like that and just the talent level. I think this is the deepest we’ve been on defense for young, upcoming defensemen in a long time. I don’t think we’ve ever had this kind of depth before. It’s very exciting. You can never have enough defensemen. It’s a position that takes some time to develop.

“We’re looking to try to get some of these guys to the NHL as quickly as possible to help our team.”

Maybe looking too much at the tea leaves, but perhaps a sign that moves will be made or maybe a signal that Stevens wants Merrill to turn pro this year (I recall Merrill had mentioned at his first development camp that he enjoyed the short time he had working with Stevens).

No bigger fan of Stevens that me but he has no experience as a coach...should be interesting.

I am asking my friend who is a Sharks' staff member about Shaw and will report back....

From what I gathered, he ran the PP, but also had a hand in their abysmal PK. He was probably fired to keep Todd Mac honest

Power play was one of new NJ assistant Matt Shaw's responsibilities with Sharks and they ranked 2nd in NHL on PP with 21.1% success rate.

This is huge for us, Oates sucked and this is a great improvement for a team that has scoring ability.

I'd assume Stevens would run the PK, not Shaw.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat

Power play was one of new NJ assistant Matt Shaw's responsibilities with Sharks and they ranked 2nd in NHL on PP with 21.1% success rate.

This is huge for us, Oates sucked and this is a great improvement for a team that has scoring ability.

I think Barr was the PK guy last year, wasn't he?

Yes, Barr is the PK guy. The general consensus from Sharks fans is that Shaw was made to look like he ran both the (excellent) PP and (abysmal) PK, so the fans essentially wanted him out because of the PK issues. Afterward, through interviews it was made clear that he actually had very little to do, coaching-wise, with the PK.

Either way, as long as he is only running our PK, I'm thrilled.

Barr ran the PK last year, he'll do it again this year.

Larry coached the D last year, Stevens does it this year.

Oates ran the PP last year, Shaw does it now.