General Devils thoughts post-Schneider deal

Triumph

This exactly. There have been no offers.

They are going to see what Clarkson commands on the open market. With buyouts and a falling cap, there's a chance that the money won't be out there to drive up a bidding war for Clarkson, meaning his chance of re-signing here for a reasonable price is higher. It's almost as if Lou knows what he's doing.

ahh i understand better now. Finally some logical thoughts

Before the season ended, I had hopes of Stalberg and Raymond filling holes in the Devils' lineup. I still think they would be decent acquisitions, but they aren't "goal scorers" in the traditional sense. Stalberg can produce but I see him as more of a Zubrus player (thought he'd be signed of Zubie walked). I like Raymond's speed, and he can score at times too, but from what I've seen (albeit limited amounts) he doesn't have the same puck possession skills as Stalberg.

Ryder fits the bill of a more traditional scoring forward, but I imagine he'll have a number of suitors.

Long way of saying I'd be thrilled and over the moon if the Devils acquired one of Stalberg or Raymond, and made a move to bolster offense via trading a defender. My favorite pipe dream is acquiring Jamie McGinn from Colorado. Flip a defender + prospect to Colorado for McGinn, take back a bad contract like Greg Zanon and buy him out (Trent Hunter style), and head into the season with a mega-shooter on the wing.

I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Magnus Paajarvi. I believe he has excellent potential to be Grabner type 3rd liner.

too bad MacT's running the show there and doesn't seem nearly stupid enough to just give him away

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils

Devils would like to see Cory Schneider signed beyond his 2 remaining yrs, but extension talk can't begin until there is only 1 yr left. I love hearing there's a sense of urgency here from Lou. I'm hoping we lock Schneider up before the start of next season.

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils

Devils would like to see Cory Schneider signed beyond his 2 remaining yrs, but extension talk can't begin until there is only 1 yr left. I love hearing there's a sense of urgency here from Lou. I'm hoping we lock Schneider up before the start of next season.

I hope so too. Hopefully he gets the starting role this year in whatever way, otherwise I dunno why he'd re-sign here

Salary commitments are likely to be an issue.  Right now the Devils have $50M in salary committed counting Dainius Zubrus.  To me they're going to be capped around $60M.  I think they subtract Hedberg somehow - if it's via buyout, that's a $1M or so discount this year.  I think they trade a defenseman, that's $3M or so.  But I don't see many other sources of savings.  Figure between $5M and $6M for Elias, that leaves $8-9M for Josefson/Henrique + other possible upgrades - that's not a lot of money.

I don't get why everyone wants Horton so bad. He is David Clarkson, why not be loyal to a guy who's given us his all as long as he's been here. And I bet Clarky's price tag is much cheaper. If we lose out on Clarky, I'd like to see us replace him with double the skill.

because Horton is much better than Clarkson. They play the same way but Horton is much more effective and has way better hockey sense.

Salary commitments are likely to be an issue.  Right now the Devils have $50M in salary committed counting Dainius Zubrus.  To me they're going to be capped around $60M.  I think they subtract Hedberg somehow - if it's via buyout, that's a $1M or so discount this year.  I think they trade a defenseman, that's $3M or so.  But I don't see many other sources of savings.  Figure between $5M and $6M for Elias, that leaves $8-9M for Josefson/Henrique + other possible upgrades - that's not a lot of money.

It's kind of ugly when you think about it because outside of Kovy and Elias, we have no goal scores... and Kovy has become a defensive forward

A lot of our money is tied up on average D. That and the fact that we have a log jam at defense which is preventing our youth from making the jump to the NHL makes it even more dire that we move a defensemen. Idk if it will happen, but it's painfully obvious that we need to.

Tallinder, Fayne, Gelinas, Santini, Scarlett or Urbom can be traded for a young forward (Hemsky)

If we're getting a more established young player, Merrill or Severson (Pajaarvi)

If we're getting a Seguin type, Larsson.

Look at all that talent right there

Edited by SMantzas

OK -- I think I can relax now - we're all thinking along the same lines.  No one wants to go nuts with a flashy scorer. The board hasn't been this realistic or down to earth on the whole in eons!

I rest and go back to life as I know it without clacking away on a message board... 

sleep.gif

but I dont sleep in native buff...

Schneider makes things look a lot better, but I am still very worried about that offense. Unless Josefson or Henrique has a breakout year, that huge hole in the top 6 is going to be a tremendous problem. I'm in favor of going after Raymond, Jagr, or even Lecavalier if he could somehow fit. Also, we have to remember Matteau may be returning this year.

But I still think the best thing would be to put together a nice package with a couple D for a scoring forward. If Merrill doesn't see much NHL time, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Jagr is intriguing to me. He's going to get 35/40 points by osmosis. I'm a little worried about him defensively but with Zajac and possibly Elias - won't be so bad.

You're right Tri, Brian Gionta back would be wonderful - but dont' see it happening unless Habs take a step back.