Chico makes his retirement official

dmann422

I was lucky enough to have club seats tonight and I talked to him a few times and even got a picture with him. I told him it won't be the same without him and that really struck a cord with him and he hesitated to respond to me and he just put his hand on my shoulder and said he really appreciated it and said he is nothing without the fans. I will miss the guy very much, he is always great to listen to and an even better person.

First time I actually met Chico was before game 1 against the Kings. My friend and I literally bumped into him on the corner outside of the arena and of course good ole Chico was munching on a hotdog while talking to all the fans saying he's hasn't been so excited in years. He really is a great man.

I believe it- Chico is the real deal. I'm hoping by luck I run into him at the game Sunday so I can thank him for what he's meant to the Devils and to me as a fan.

I believe it- Chico is the real deal. I'm hoping by luck I run into him at the game Sunday so I can thank him for what he's meant to the Devils and to me as a fan.

If you want to shell out the money get club seats on the announcers side. Chico must have took pictures with at least 50 people and talked with everyone, such a great guy.

Over the past few years we lost Parise Kovalchuk Clarkson Doc and now Chico, pretty sad. :(

This would be so, so cool. I don't know if he'd be able to do it contractually but man.. That'd just be awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Also, I know it's generally impossible to coordinate these things..

But a "Thank you Chico" chant on Sunday would be really amazing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

http://www.nbcsports.com/nhl/nhl-nbc

I don't know who does what games or where you can find that out but if I had to guess Doc would probably be doing Flyers-Pens tomorrow.  Not sure he'd do a Sunday game, if they'd shuttle him to St. Louis that quickly for the Sunday national telecast.

I don't see any way in which Chico can be viewed as "terrible." I actually find it condescending when people say things like "he's our idiot."  Just ask CR76 what kind of character that man has. Furthermore, he added entertainment to the games and made it fun to watch. The man deserves our respect.

BTW, 'goofy' I don't mind. Chico is goofy, and I love it.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

I don't see any way in which Chico can be viewed as "terrible." I actually find it condescending when people say things like "he's our idiot."  Just ask CR76 what kind of character that man has. Furthermore, he added entertainment to the games and made it fun to watch. The man deserves our respect.

BTW, 'goofy' I don't mind. Chico is goofy, and I love it.

He once said about doing color commentary:  "If I wasn't talking, I wouldn't know what to say."  Almost has a little Yogi in him, in a good way of course. 

Totally agree.  He was frustrating to listen to at times (too Homeric for my liking), but he is earnest in his own goofy way.  He was our goofy.

my thought exactly.

Geez... the Devils as i grew up knowing them is really nearing an end... Stevens, Nieds, Dano, Doc, Chico, goal song, Brodeur (i guess), Robinson, steady playoffs participation etc etc all gone. 

Help me Elias, you're my only hope

tumblr_lkot6w6QHJ1qcrzkko1_500.gif

if you dont get the reference you're simply not cool... at all. 

my thought exactly.

Geez... the Devils as i grew up knowing them is really nearing an end... Stevens, Nieds, Dano, Doc, Chico, goal song, Brodeur (i guess), Robinson, steady playoffs participation etc etc all gone. 

Help me Elias, you're my only hope

tumblr_lkot6w6QHJ1qcrzkko1_500.gif

if you dont get the reference you're simply not cool... at all. 

Elias is the last connection to the 2003 Cup team once Brodeur who is the last connection to the 1995 Cup team retires or leaves or does whatever it is he's going to do. Outside of Lou anyway. We're in a new arena, with new music, new play by play, new color guy, many coaches later, new goal song, new goal horn, new ownership, all different.

Count me as a huge Chico fan.   Watching a game with him announcing is like watching a game with a friend over a beer and just rattling on about hockey stuff.   Chico never cared about being a broadcaster first.   His first love was--and is--hockey, and he took delight in sharing the human element within the locker room and on the ice.   In today's egotistical world of "me me me", I found him quite refreshing…and I'm going to miss the hell out of him.   Thanks for making hockey fun, and for at the very least making the "bad" times bearable.  

• Like 2

They asked Marty about Chico after last night's game... Don't know if this has been posted anywhere. Sorry I don't know how to embed...

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=714195&navid=DL|NJD|home

Basically...

Reporter: Chico announced his retirement today...

Marty: Did he? Wow... From what?

You know Chico would love it.

Brodeur giving no fvcks about Chico.

I haven't caught many broadcasts over the last few years with the Devils announcing team, but  I always enjoyed Chico. He had an infectious energy and passion that very few have in their announcing job. I think that part helped overcome so many WTF moments when he was talking.

I don't think he was a Devils homer at all, but erred on the side of being too critical of players. He was simply a goalie apologist. From all the fan stories I have read, he had no problem telling you how he really thought away from the job. I think that's how it is with most in the business.

He'll be missed.

They asked Marty about Chico after last night's game... Don't know if this has been posted anywhere. Sorry I don't know how to embed...

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=714195&navid=DL|NJD|home

Basically...

Reporter: Chico announced his retirement today...

Marty: Did he? Wow... From what?

You know Chico would love it.

Its clear that he was joking, him and chico prob have a good relationship with each other.

Chico will be missed and they should def have a chico night next yr (with a chico bobblehead when he was a devs goalie, hotdog special, and have doc come back to host chico night)

He once said about doing color commentary:  "If I wasn't talking, I wouldn't know what to say."  Almost has a little Yogi in him, in a good way of course. 

And I can only imagine what kind of player he was to have in the locker room with that personalty; probably a morale booster for everyone. I hope when the team honors Chico, that they don't neglect to honor him as a former player in addition to celebrating his years as an announcer..

Count me as a huge Chico fan.   Watching a game with him announcing is like watching a game with a friend over a beer and just rattling on about hockey stuff.   Chico never cared about being a broadcaster first.   His first love was--and is--hockey, and he took delight in sharing the human element within the locker room and on the ice.   In today's egotistical world of "me me me", I found him quite refreshing…and I'm going to miss the hell out of him.   Thanks for making hockey fun, and for at the very least making the "bad" times bearable.  

Very well said. 

Brodeur giving no fvcks about Chico.

You're kidding right?

And I can only imagine what kind of player he was to have in the locker room with that personalty; probably a morale booster for everyone. I hope when the team honors Chico, that they don't neglect to honor him as a former player in addition to celebrating his years as an announcer..

He was definitely important in those early years...on a team as hopeless at those early Devils were, you need someone like him who's almost relentlessly positive and cheerful, as the losses are piling up...there's just only so much suckage most players can take.  You need a guy who can help his young teammates find the positives in their performances, help them find things to build on that aren't yet translating into wins.  A guy like Chico helps to keep them from getting angry/frustrated and from giving up on themselves.. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Chico is losing his mind today and it's great to see/hear. Was he the best color guy, hell no. But he was OUR guy, he related to the Devils from the Mickey Mouse days to the Cup days and beyond. Chico played mostly as a NY Islander, but he's a Devil through and through. I for one will miss him.