[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

And that's after already getting rid of Tedenby/Barch who are on one-way deals, and there's no buyout period left this year. People that think we're going to sign another forward (assuming we have signed Jagr) really aren't taking this into account. Another signing either makes Josefson irrelevant or the newest signing Olesz.

Teddy and barch can both be sent down

exactly i'd rather have a logjam on forwards than on the defence again, we don't a lots of top talent but man we have really good depth still. Gionta, Olesz, Carter, Barch, Pelley are good call ups.

i know Olesz is better than he's been presented lately but i still think he'll have to win his spot on the team. Carter is really solid i cant see him being scratch, he's the perfect 4th liner.

that depth gives us opportunities to make packaged deals that wouldnt hurt us that much.

Volchenkov + Josefson + Urbom for example. Not a lot of salary to take for what you could be getting and we wouldnt be missing too much either. Obviously we'd have to get back salary probably. But if we could get someone like Hemsky who seems to be on the block for something similar. Totally an example but who knows... i dont think anyone would take just volchenkov but in a package like that and getting a decent guy in return... who knows? 

Umm, except I don't think it's common practice to trade away guys you've just signed.  Josefson for example.  I think Lou wants dibs on any kind of production Josefson can give them.

Those are two pretty damn expensive players to send to the A. 

Tedenby can still get claimed and his contract is like a 750k cap hit in the NHL.   It's crazy, but our entire forward corps has basically signed new contracts.  It's boom or bust for Teds here really because if he's a bust, he turns into another Matt Corrente, and no one wants that.  We'll see if he can stick in training camp and that will decide his fate.  It doesn't bode well if he starts the season in the AHL, same for Josefson and maybe Olesz.

Edited by RizzMB30

Those are two pretty damn expensive players to send to the A. 

Kind of sucks that the Devils gave Tedenby a one way deal for $600,000. Normally I wouldn't care if the Devils were paying that much for a guy who will be healthy scratch a lot but considering they'll have 1 or 2 other forwards in the press box to start the year, it seems a bit much to be stuck with. I doubt they want to spend that much on him playing in the AHL.

I honestly wouldn't mind losing him on waivers. I know he's young but unlike a player like Josefson, he hasn't shown me anything that makes me think he will be a NHL player. Plus the reserve list is getting really crammed right now. Add in Jagr and the re-signings of Henrique and Kelly (assuming he gets a NHL and not AHL deal) and their at 49.

Question: If a contract slides, I know that means it gets delayed in starting, but does that mean it also doesn't count against the 50 man limit on the reserve list? Severson's ELC should slide this year which would open up a spot if that is infact the rule.

It is, but for brunner, it should be worth it. No sketchy russian on the books should mean some extra cash.

It's not the cash that's the real worry, even if they have to waste a million or two in the minors (which nobody really wants to do), it's the fact they're going to be banging up against the 50 contract limit again.

Yes, because as everyone knows, he was completely useless in the 2012 playoffs.

He shouldn't be kept around for one good playoff run though.

I like what he brings, but he's embarrassingly bad on faceoffs for a center.  And, while he works pretty damn hard, it's still tough to have a small player in a checking role.  If Olesz takes his spot and beats him out..I won't be very upset.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Yes, because as everyone knows, he was completely useless in the 2012 playoffs.

And he was completely outmatched and over his head last season, which was also a better indication of his career norm talent level.  Sure, he played fine during the 2012 playoffs...that was his 15 minutes.  

And he was completely outmatched and over his head last season, which was also a better indication of his career norm talent level.  Sure, he played fine during the 2012 playoffs...that was his 15 minutes.  

Agreed. Bryce had a great run as well, but it should have ended there. Gio, while it is really hard not to root for him, should not be on a NHL roster, especially the Devils as it sits now. If you think we watch all these FA signings intently, then he has to be beside himself wanting to know the roster.

Edited by hystyk28

This pretty much sounds spot on. Going over the cap and announcing all these signings gives other teams the upper hand. Lou might have something imminent regarding a D trade that's making him hold out on finalizing all these other deals.

Brunner's camp said something along the lines last week of "Deal is close, just a few moving parts before it gets finalized." I think he's a Devil.

now that the Jagr thing is not even announced yet. Its even more believable that it could be the case... very interesting. Why else would Lou not announce it?

So what does the Jagr signing say about the theory that we're waiting on Henrique's contract to announce the Brunner signing?

I agree that the fact that it has been so quiet has "Devils" written all over it, but adding another forward doesn't make much sense now.

So what does the Jagr signing say about the theory that we're waiting on Henrique's contract to announce the Brunner signing?

I agree that the fact that it has been so quiet has "Devils" written all over it, but adding another forward doesn't make much sense now.

People thought we were waiting on Henrique to announce Jagr, now we're waiting on him to announce Brunner lol

They'll have like $2-5 million in cap space after Henrique's deal (bonuses accounting for $3 million), but they're also running out of roster spots/# of contracts.

im in the middle of working on a project so I don't feel like looking to see which of his articles it was (I think its the one that says whats going with jagr from before he was signed but not sure), but TG said when he talked to Lou that he said he isn't done molding the team through both additions and subtractions. As much as we have all talked about moving Volchenkov or some of these spare forwards we have now as dreaming, it sounds like Lou is seriously pursuing those options in an attempt to get something done to open up some more roster spots and budget/cap dollars.

I think before the season starts Brunner will end up being a Devils and Volchenkov and someone like josefson or one of the other 3rd fourth line guys get moved out with a prospect for picks and/or prospects and we all pour ourselves a nice big glass of Lou-aid :koolaid:

i think all this time is Brunner and his agent facing reality that you cant command 3+ millions with under 50 games played in the NHL... he'll probably come back to earth and sign around 2.5 or 2.75m with someone eventually, hopefully its still us. i think he's a low risk high rewards kinda guy