GDT Devils Vs Stars

pumpkin cutter

this. although we're not missing our two top centers, and possibly not missing our best goalie, the team probably outchanced dallas. they have to get more power play opportunities and then capitalize on those, but the 2nd power play for NJ was very good.

I'm so tired of hearing about how many chances we get WHEN WE NEVER FLIPPING CASH IN ON THEM!!!

All you people complaining about how the schedule is hindering us, well the Devils BETTER make hay in the next four games now with Toronto, Winnipeg and Carolina at home and the Pronger-less Flyers on the road. And I mean at least seven of eight points. If we actually are 'a 'good team'. Especially with what's coming up the next five-six games after that.

Edited by NJDevs4978

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so tired of hearing about how many chances we get WHEN WE NEVER FLIPPING CASH IN ON THEM!!!

All you people complaining about how the schedule is hindering us, well the Devils BETTER make hay in the next four games now with Toronto, Winnipeg and Carolina at home and the Pronger-less Flyers on the road. And I mean at least seven of eight points. If we actually are 'a 'good team'. Especially with what's coming up the next five-six games after that.

that's a completely unreasonable expectation. we would expect that if NHL teams had huge talent differences like in the NFL. NJ should hopefully come out of that stretch with 5 or 6 points.

Edited by Triumph

that's a completely unreasonable expectation. we would expect that if NHL teams had huge talent differences like in the NFL. NJ should hopefully come out of that stretch with 5 or 6 points.

Then they're not going anywhere this year, cause there aren't too many 'easy' stretches in the NHL these days. Three games against non-playoff teams at home and a Flyers team that has been lost most of the time without Pronger is one of the few we're getting. The rest of the time everyone'll be complaining about how tough the schedule is. I remember when we used to be everyone else's tough game instead of having everyone else be our tough game.

Even you yourself said there's going to be 15-20 teams within ten points of each other this year, with that kind of parity you have to take advantage when you're up against teams you're supposed to be better than.

Then they're not going anywhere this year, cause there aren't too many 'easy' stretches in the NHL these days. Three games against non-playoff teams at home and a Flyers team that has been lost most of the time without Pronger is one of the few we're getting. The rest of the time everyone'll be complaining about how tough the schedule is. I remember when we used to be everyone else's tough game instead of having everyone else be our tough game.

Think about what you're saying. If what you are saying is true, we would see way bigger gaps in points earned between the best and the worst teams than we actually do. Edmonton won 25 games last year. 12 of those wins came against playoff teams. That's just an example. Now it would be nice to get 7 or 8 points out of the next 4 games, but that's not a reasonable expectation.

Even you yourself said there's going to be 15-20 teams within ten points of each other this year, with that kind of parity you have to take advantage when you're up against teams you're supposed to be better than.

It would be nice to do that, but it can't be expected - even if the Devils massively outplayed those teams, which they probably won't, we wouldn't expect that as an outcome.

Yes, I have mentioned the schedule. My point in mentioning it is that NJ has not been playing weaker teams, yet, and I feel that's overlooked. They will, and their expectation is better against them than against stronger teams, but not significantly better to where we would expect them to run the table.

Edited by Triumph

PARISE FOR KESSEL, STRAIGHT UP.

Also, I'm concerned because Deboer and the team keep thinking games like this we played good. We played good in net, and on defense...NOT OFFENSIVELY. How many legit scoring chances did we have? The Tedenby circus around the net yielded no shots, so scratch that off. When did you really go OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH on a close opportunity by us last night? Consider these questions alone, then please reconsider if we played a good offensive game. I wish the coaches read these forums honestly. Hockey 101 here: Get the goalie moving. If the goalie can see the shot, he can prepare for the shot and 9/10 save the shot. But when you create confusion and keep the puck cycling, the goalie starts moving and get out of position. Get the goalie moving, or catch him off guard. Take a look at the goals last night. Dallas scored their first goal by non stop cycling of the puck and created confusion in our zone. Eventually, the puck got to an open Dallas player who was in a prime shooting location, and he buried it. Now, look at out goal. A quick shot right off the faceoff, something the goalie did not expect. What happened? It went in. Goals aren't gift wrapped in the NHL, you have to earn them. We won't score many goals by passing the puck to the point, having the D-Men (or Kovalchuk on the PP) stopping the puck, lining it up, and taking a soft wrist shot (Tallinder) or a slap shot. The goalie has wayyyyyyy to much time to react to this, it's not working. I fail to see why instead we try something like Elias passes to Parise in the corner, then cuts to the net for a give and go shot. Or, pass it to Larsson, who passes it to Kovy, who slap passes it to Elias or Parise for either A) Quick back door shot or B) Passes it right back to Kovy who by this point hopefully moved in the zone more and scores a quick back door goal. This would get the goalie moving and would without a be a much better opportunity that what the hell we have been trying. On 5 aside, it's just not enough chaos in the offensive zone. Over half our shots are bullsh!t from the point that don't work, or from the sharpest angle imaginable. If you're going to do that fine but at least should it low so it can get deflected easily or bounce off the goalies leg pads for a rebound opportunity. More cycling of the puck smart, efficient, and quickly, and quick shots, plus traffic to the net. Key ingredients to offense here, not sure why our coaches are not implementing this. Maybe Zajac and Josefson are just that amazing and we need that back that much more, but I believe we should still have more success than we're having.

I found this exchange between Cangialosi and Chico particularly puzzling...

CANGIALOSI: "Are you more of a boobs or ass man?"

CHICO: "Why can't it be both?"

CANGIALOSI: "I like the way you think, Slappy!"

Mostly I like to enjoy hockey. This I can enjoy Last year I couldn't with inexplicable problems with blantant fixes no one could implement. These are normal problems fixable with experience I see the team acquiring game by game. If it all goes too well you're not prepared to fix failures.

I'm not mad at Kovalchuk because it serves no purpose but it may amuse some endlessly to rant and I'm fine with that.

The team us doing enough right and enough wrong that I'm pretty happy. I was relieved to see what I saw of the game last night. There is a brain working and no one is relentlessly hammering away at a failing system. They constantly step back and adjust - sometimes for better, sometimes worse. I enjoy that. I'm happy. :noclue: if you have more fun being unhappy, no big deal. Knock yourself out :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I found this exchange between Cangialosi and Chico particularly puzzling...

CANGIALOSI: "Are you more of a boobs or ass man?"

CHICO: "Why can't it be both?"

CANGIALOSI: "I like the way you think, Slappy!

Chico didn't say that. He said: ya knoo. I just hafta ask, I think I'm both. That possible I think right? Is the thigh the ass of a chicken? That's what I'd really like ta know. Ooh pardon me for saying ass I don't think we can say that unless it's a barnyard animal".

"haha Cheeckster. I think it's Stan who's into barnyard animals haha!"

Edited by Pepperkorn

Mostly I like to enjoy hockey. This I can enjoy Last year I couldn't with inexplicable problems with blantant fixes no one could implement. These are normal problems fixable with experience I see the team acquiring game by game. If it all goes too well you're not prepared to fix failures.

I'm not mad at Kovalchuk because it serves no purpose but it may amuse some endlessly to rant and I'm fine with that.

The team us doing enough right and enough wrong that I'm pretty happy. I was relieved to see what I saw of the game last night. There is a brain working and no one is relentlessly hammering away at a failing system. They constantly step back and adjust - sometimes for better, sometimes worse. I enjoy that. I'm happy. :noclue: if you have more fun being unhappy, no big deal. Knock yourself out :evil:

I dont really see how no one being able to put the puck in the net is a "fixable" problem but I hope you're right or this year is gonna be a lot more like last year than any of us are prepared to have to deal with.

The team plays well defensively for the most part. And they have good goaltending most nights. So in that way, you're not wrong that they do "enough right" to make one not 100% pessimistic, but the offense is SO anemic that it's REALLY hard not to get frustrated and down on the club as a whole. The PP still doesn't work and 5 on 5 ain't any better, and I don't see any definitive or quick fixes for a roster largely full of players who simply CANNOT finish.

How Adam Oates still has a job is beyond me.

While i dont think its possible that were just so unlucky for that long, im watching other teams and their goals are not really prepared or anything... they just get a good shot off a breakout or a good rebound right on their stick or stuff like that

the only thing we should make the goalie and other team move a bit more in their zone and we should get more pucks to the net to create rebounds or lucky bounces

missed this one, had to work last night. I read the last couple pages here to catch up, but did we look smooth? I know we caught some bad breaks and without that puck going off of Fayne its a whole new game. but did we play ok for the most part? we have so much skill why is our offense still only putting up 1 goal?

I KNOW it has to be because we dont know how to play together. you look at other teams with half the talent as us, who can put up much more goals than us- and its because they can just play together. they crash the net at the right time, and understand each other's game.

One thing I noticed during a powerplay was while elias had the puck at the half boards, parise was up front. But he was on elias's side. He wasn't in poisition for a tip in from an elias pass or shot deflection. He was in position for a point shot screen. Someone said it perfectly that the players don't move from their spots. And its obvious our shots only come from kovalchuk who should be playing the half boards similarto jagr. He's dreadful on the point

One thing I noticed during a powerplay was while elias had the puck at the half boards, parise was up front. But he was on elias's side. He wasn't in poisition for a tip in from an elias pass or shot deflection. He was in position for a point shot screen. Someone said it perfectly that the players don't move from their spots. And its obvious our shots only come from kovalchuk who should be playing the half boards similarto jagr. He's dreadful on the point

exactlyyy.. watching other teams, i feel like they all crash the net at the perfect time