2014 Rookie Camp

thefiestygoat

Excited to hopefully see him in the big leagues in a few years.

Sounds like a solid pick. Won't dazzle you, but a prototypical Devil.

He can join the army of those that we have.  I hope he turns out well but I am not expecting a ton.  I know Lou had his hands tied this year but I wish he would have reached for someone with more upside in Lemiuex this year and in past years instead of going for the "typical Devils picks."

He can join the army of those that we have. I hope he turns out well but I am not expecting a ton. I know Lou had his hands tied this year but I wish he would have reached for someone with more upside in Lemiuex this year and in past years instead of going for the "typical Devils picks."

Why do we think Lemieux has more upside? I don't see indication in the numbers or in anything I read that says Lemieux has more upside.

Why do we think Lemieux has more upside? I don't see indication in the numbers or in anything I read that says Lemieux has more upside.

Wasn't he higher rated than Quenneville?  Quenneville is another where I keep reading that he does all things good, but not one thing they would say is outstanding.  We have plenty of those players.

Wasn't he higher rated than Quenneville? Quenneville is another where I keep reading that he does all things good, but not one thing they would say is outstanding. We have plenty of those players.

Depends on the outfit but they were both ranked pretty similarly.

Lemieux doesn't really appear great at anything either.

Quennvile had a better scoring rate than Lemieux, but not by a huge margin.

Lemieux had twice as many PIM but without watching both guys play I have no idea if either guys take good or bad penalties.

I know we were high on Lemieux for very obvious reasons, but there's a reason he reached pick number 31, with 29 other teams not picking him.

That's not to say he's bad, or even that Quenneville will be better, but that maybe we wanted the name Lemieux more we fully understood what he'd bring to the table; 29 other teams didn't hop on that pick. We'll figure out in due time which choice was the right one.

Edited by DJ Eco

I know we were high on Lemieux for very obvious reasons, but there's a reason he reached pick number 31, with 29 other teams not picking him.

That's not to say he's bad, or even that Quenneville will be better, but that maybe we wanted the name Lemieux more we fully understood what he'd bring to the table; 29 other teams didn't hop on that pick. We'll figure out in due time which choice was the right one.

That's also under the assumption that all 30 GM's and their scouts know what they are doing all of the time.  Many times we see that is not the case.

Some draft guru types had Lemieux ranked in the 40 to 50 range. 

From my layman's standpoint, I kind of liked the idea of drafting him.  He seems like a fairly safe bet to be an NHL regular, but without that much upside.  They say, like his father, he has that unique ability to agitate, and he could have fit in nicely on a line with Matteau if both of them worked out. 

Quenneville seems like a good player too that some people had ranked higher, so I can't fault Conte for picking him even if things don't work out. 

That's also under the assumption that all 30 GM's and their scouts know what they are doing all of the time.  Many times we see that is not the case.

I'd trust at least 15-16 of the other teams' scouts over ours (and probably more) consider our track record the last 11 years.

I'd trust at least 15-16 of the other teams' scouts over ours (and probably more) consider our track record the last 11 years.

That point still doesn't justify taking Q over Lemieux then if you are saying our scouts are incompetent.

But in the end I hope he works out as I just want our team to get better in the present and future.  I wish the kid good luck on his development.

Well, nothing justifies anything that's done in the rookie draft; everything's a big question mark until 4-5 years from now in most cases. But knowing 29 other teams didn't take Lemieux made me step back and think (like Daniel said) maybe we just liked the idea of drafting him. We won't really know who's better for a while.

Edited by DJ Eco

What is the argument for Lemieux over Quenneville, anyway? Qunneville is a bigger point producer, and seems like a strong all around player. There isn't anything about Lemieux that suggests to me that he is more likely to turn out to be the better player. Honestly I agree with DD56, the last name is the only reason this is being discussed. If anything, we should be wondering why Barbashev was passed over. Regardless, I'm happy with the pick.

What is the argument for Lemieux over Quenneville, anyway? Qunneville is a bigger point producer, and seems like a strong all around player. There isn't anything about Lemieux that suggests to me that he is more likely to turn out to be the better player. Honestly I agree with DD56, the last name is the only reason this is being discussed. If anything, we should be wondering why Barbashev was passed over. Regardless, I'm happy with the pick.

Maybe Lemieux has a bit more there in terms of skill, aggression and higher end upside, but I think one of the biggest reasons that no one has really pointed out is Q's playoff performance in juniors.  He apparently really comes out in big games and that's something that can be accounted for in players.