#1621 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

Zach Parise's camp says decision will "probably [be] later today" #mnwild #nhl #penguins #devils #redwings #blackhawks #flyers #anyoneelse
DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#1622 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I think a lot of the dollar amount business is his agent looking for a big fat commission and really urging him to take the most money. I never really bought into the claim that agents are fully committed to the welfare of the player first. I'm sure Wade is looking for a big payday himself. If that's the case, it reminds me of the agent on Entourage - the greedy bastard who only cares about himself and how much money he gets from a deal, not his client.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#1623 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

I think a lot of the dollar amount business is his agent looking for a big fat commission and really urging him to take the most money. I never really bought into the claim that agents are fully committed to the welfare of the player first. I'm sure Wade is looking for a big payday himself. If that's the case, it reminds me of the agent on Entourage - the greedy bastard who only cares about himself and how much money he gets from a deal, not his client.

Sadly, I do think this is what happened to Scott Gomez. I think he's a guy who's not all that smart, and got pushed into his Ranger contract by a variety of parties, and wound up believing a lot of nonsense that even fans knew wasn't true. If he had it to do over again, I think he finds a way to make it work in NJ.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1624 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

I'd rather Semin, at this point. If it's going to take 8m+/y for Parise, I don't think he's worth it. I love him to death, and he is a typical *Devils* player, but I don't see him being worth Kovalchuk money (or more, cap wise)

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#1625 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Sadly, I do think this is what happened to Scott Gomez. I think he's a guy who's not all that smart, and got pushed into his Ranger contract by a variety of parties, and wound up believing a lot of nonsense that even fans knew wasn't true. If he had it to do over again, I think he finds a way to make it work in NJ.

Supposedly he was never offered a contract. Other teams would have blown money on him too, Philly, or the team he currently is "playing for".

I do think it's funny that these big FA types hire the agents to herd all the BS involved with this process, and they STILL look like sh!t anyway, if the process drags on for more than 5 minutes. Why even bother at that point, take the phone calls, get a notepad, write down their offers and say "I'll call you back later."

#1626 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'd rather Semin, at this point. If it's going to take 8m+/y for Parise, I don't think he's worth it. I love him to death, and he is a typical *Devils* player, but I don't see him being worth Kovalchuk money (or more, cap wise)

Semin could definitely wind up being more cost-effective in the long run. I don't know if I'd rather have him, but if Parise leaves for mega-bucks, and Semin comes here for a reasonable deal, I don't think the Devils make out too badly there.

I'm wondering if Feeding Frenzy II begins after Zach has signed, and if Semin winds up getting massively overpaid...he won't get Parise money obviously, but it will be interesting to see if GMs can't control themselves yet again.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1627 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

How much would you think Semin would want compared to Zach? I don't think Semin would be exactly a cheap pick up

n2eg.jpg

#1628 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Supposedly he was never offered a contract. Other teams would have blown money on him too, Philly, or the team he currently is "playing for".

I do think it's funny that these big FA types hire the agents to herd all the BS involved with this process, and they STILL look like sh!t anyway, if the process drags on for more than 5 minutes. Why even bother at that point, take the phone calls, get a notepad, write down their offers and say "I'll call you back later."

I think Lou knew how silly it was going to get with Gomez, and just said, "Nah, not wasting my time offering a contract that won't even be competitive." Especially since Gomez seemed to be sleepwalking his final year heading into FA. Lou saw a guy who was good for 60-70 points, 13-20 goals and some mental lapses. Some GMs saw his 33 goals in '05-'06, ignored the bloated numbers of that season that a lot of players enjoyed, and thought that the Devils were holding back a potential 100-point player. Sather paid him as such. Lou knew better.

#30 FOREVER!

#1629 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

I am going to be really emo when Zach leaves however I wouldn't mind making a run at Semin. His reputation doesn't bother me since historically when players come to NJ they tend to drink the :koolaid: . Kovy is a perfect example.

815631765.gif

#1630 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

How much would you think Semin would want compared to Zach? I don't think Semin would be exactly a cheap pick up

The perception of both players couldn't be more different at this point. Zach is seen as a hard worker, leader, overall swell guy, game-changer, the player every team wants, etc. Semin is pretty much seen as just the opposite. Not saying that's necessarily fair, but no one's writing scathing articles about Zach.

#30 FOREVER!

#1631 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Semin is going to be an expensive pickup when all the teams that didn't get Parise go after him.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1632 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Isnt Semin a bad egg in the locker room?
It's the whiskey talking.

#1633 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Isnt Semin a bad egg in the locker room?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIJF54SF1W8&feature=player_embedded

IDK how much I can believe these guys really know about the guy, how he really is as a person, character, and really the ability fall into role on a team. Maybe it is true he didn't always click well in WAS but I can't believe that they would keep him around if he was truly as bad as they make him sound in this video.

Edited by NJDevils1214, 03 July 2012 - 10:20 AM.

815631765.gif

#1634 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

The perception of both players couldn't be more different at this point. Zach is seen as a hard worker, leader, overall swell guy, game-changer, the player every team wants, etc. Semin is pretty much seen as just the opposite. Not saying that's necessarily fair, but no one's writing scathing articles about Zach.

Yeah Parise's every GM's dream player. He was a lock to be ridiculously overpaid because of "intangibles". Semin's an "enigmatic russian", there's a chance his contract might actually be pretty good for the team that signs him. However, it's pretty hard to imagine that after Parise signs Semin doesn't get big offers from the losers. I'm sure the reason we're hearing nothing about Semin is that his agent is waiting for Parise.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#1635 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,901 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Agents do a lot more than that, plus the PA goes after anyone who doesn't hire an agent.

I think we can take Zach at his word when he said that he wasn't thinking about his next contract at all this year. And I mean that sincerely.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1636 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

I am going to be really emo when Zach leaves however I wouldn't mind making a run at Semin. His reputation doesn't bother me since historically when players come to NJ they tend to drink the :koolaid: . Kovy is a perfect example.

Kovy's done well this past season, maybe the :koolaid: is good for him. yeah, i know everyone's going to put an asterisk there because of his back problems at the end

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#1637 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Apparently were re-signing salvador this afternoon... At least....

Edited by SterioDesign, 03 July 2012 - 10:31 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1638 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

Apparently were re-signing salvador this afternoon... At least....

RT @DarrenDreger: Bryce Salvador agrees to 3 year, $9.5 contract with New Jersey Devils. $3.16 aav.

#1639 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

SALVADORRRRRRRRRR
DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#1640 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Yikes, I like Sal but anything over two years is ridiculous. Bye bye Zach :(
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users