Has anybody been to the Izod Center lately?

Colorado Rockies 1976

As a broke college student, I'd much rather buy a cheapo 30 for $20, the cheapest hamburgers you can find, bring a grill charcoal etc and have an awesome time. Divide it between four friends and it's very cheap. I don't have the money to go out to a restaurant after the game, eat a meal that's overpriced and isn't even filling. 

As for the weeknights go, I'd have no problem tailgating on the weeknights, and have done it before. Back in 2012 RU was playing Louisville Thursday night for the Big East title. Living about 40 minutes south of RU, me and three buddies hopped in a car and picked up another friend from class at Monmouth. We got there about 4:00, got hammered and made it into the game at 7:30. Waking up for the 8:30 class the next day was no fun, but it is definitely an experience worth having again. Sucks that you can't really do that with the Devils.

Also as a broke college student, I appreciate the atmosphere we have now. Tailgating is great, but having the city being a part of team culture and the team being a part of city culture is invaluable to the fabric of the club as far as I'm concerned. You can't beat walking through downtown with thousands of other fans, fans in the restaurants around the stadium.

I remember that you could actually see the traffic speeding along route 3 in between the cracks in the floorboards. How that thing passed safety inspection in the first place is beyond me.

Yeah I remember that too. Its a miracle it never collapsed.

That's rte 120 actually, but yeah, the original bridge was very scary to me. I remember seeing the cars whizzing by below too.

And there was always a guy selling pretzels just outside that bridge on the Giants Stadium side after the game was over. Can't imagine that he could've sold very many of them.

HOT PRETZELS COLD WATER HEEEERE
  • Like 1

I also miss the sense of dread  when approching the arena after going through exit 16W toll whether you would go to the ramp on the right towards the main parking lot or to the ramp on the left towards the Giants Stadium parking lot and be forced to walk the cattle walk.  It had the feeling of pulling the arm of a slot machine some nights.

Also as a broke college student, I appreciate the atmosphere we have now. Tailgating is great, but having the city being a part of team culture and the team being a part of city culture is invaluable to the fabric of the club as far as I'm concerned. You can't beat walking through downtown with thousands of other fans, fans in the restaurants around the stadium.

I suppose I guess south jersey has countrified me

I also miss the sense of dread  when approching the arena after going through exit 16W toll whether you would go to the ramp on the right towards the main parking lot or to the ramp on the left towards the Giants Stadium parking lot and be forced to walk the cattle walk.  It had the feeling of pulling the arm of a slot machine some nights.

So accurate, that's EXACTLY what it felt like! 

HOT PRETZELS COLD WATER HEEEERE

Was it the same guy every time?  I honestly don't remember.

I do remember some kids getting upset when they'd see the pretzels and ask their parents "Can I have one of those?", only to get shot down (You already ate two orders of fries, a burger, a hot dog, an ice cream, etc).  Not sure what it is about mediocre to poor arena food that makes kids lose their minds, but when I take my daughter to Devils games, she becomes bottomless in a hurry.  Just like daddy was when he was young. 

So accurate, that's EXACTLY what it felt like!

Was it the same guy every time? I honestly don't remember.

I do remember some kids getting upset when they'd see the pretzels and ask their parents "Can I have one of those?", only to get shot down (You already ate two orders of fries, a burger, a hot dog, an ice cream, etc). Not sure what it is about mediocre to poor arena food that makes kids lose their minds, but when I take my daughter to Devils games, she becomes bottomless in a hurry. Just like daddy was when he was young.

I guess I had really cool parents because I actually had one of those pretzels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess I had really cool parents because I actually had one of those pretzels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ate one once too...it was actually a lot better than I was expecting it to be.  The ones inside CAA always seemed to be dry on the inside, a little soggy on the outside, and generally awful all-around.

I ate one once too...it was actually a lot better than I was expecting it to be.  The ones inside CAA always seemed to be dry on the inside, a little soggy on the outside, and generally awful all-around.

Once they got rid of the curly fries, it was all down hill from there.

I also miss the sense of dread when approching the arena after going through exit 16W toll whether you would go to the ramp on the right towards the main parking lot or to the ramp on the left towards the Giants Stadium parking lot and be forced to walk the cattle walk. It had the feeling of pulling the arm of a slot machine some nights.

That was one of the things I loved about going there. I would leave my house at 7pm and make it to my seat right before puck drop, back when we always had 7:30pm starts, because if you purchased the parking pass you were always allowed to go to the right and I would park right outside my gate, gate C and head straight to my seat in 230. I was also able to get out of there fairly quickly and usually be home just about when the post game radio show ended.

I miss the meadowlands for these conviences. I don't like the 7pm starts at the rock. I like the rock for everything else except for the fact it takes me a bit longer to get there and I can't get out of the door from upstairs as fast.

Not complaining though, everything else about the rock is a 1000x better but I do miss the meadowlands mainly because I basically grew up there and it was my home away from home. I will most likely go and see when they knock it down in person.

Funny thing is too I just bought WWE ppv tickets at the izod center today too. Going to events at the izod now is miserable though when it comes to parking. That parking deck is horrendous to get out of.

Edited by Satans Hockey

That was one of the things I loved about going there. I would leave my house at 7pm and make it to my seat right before puck drop, back when we always had 7:30pm starts, because if you purchased the parking pass you were always allowed to go to the right and I would park right outside my gate, gate C and head straight to my seat in 230. I was also able to get out of there fairly quickly and usually be home just about when the post game radio show ended.

I miss the meadowlands for these conviences. I don't like the 7pm starts at the rock. I like the rock for everything else except for the fact it takes me a bit longer to get there and I can't get out of the door from upstairs as fast.

Not complaining though, everything else about the rock is a 1000x better but I do miss the meadowlands mainly because I basically grew up there and it was my home away from home. I will most likely go and see when they knock it down in person.

Funny thing is too I just bought WWE ppv tickets at the izod center today too. Going to events at the izod now is miserable though when it comes to parking. That parking deck is horrendous to get out of.

We eventually wised up after a few years and got a parking pass so we could go to the right, but there were some games we didn't have it and it was always a gamble.

I never liked the 7:30 start as I always felt it was late.  The games were longer back then as they didn't have the fast faceoff rules back then so the game in regulation ended around 10-10:15 some nights.  Plus the drive to Somerset County so you were looking at getting home at around 11ish.  Now when I drive in to the Rock, I am usually home by about 10:30 the latest.

Anyone think they'll auction off seats when they do eventually tear it down?  Like they did with Yankee Stadium?

Hell I'd buy one for my man cave if they weren't outrageously overpriced.

Doubt it as it there would probably be not nearly as much interest in it.

Hell Steiner has had such a hard time selling the Yankee Stadium seats that all my buddy had to do was ask for 50% off the price of 2 seats and they approved it right then and there just to make the sale and get rid of them.  I can only imagine how long CAA seats would be sitting around for before even half were purchased.

Doubt it as it there would probably be not nearly as much interest in it.

Hell Steiner has had such a hard time selling the Yankee Stadium seats that all my buddy had to do was ask for 50% off the price of 2 seats and they approved it right then and there just to make the sale and get rid of them.  I can only imagine how long CAA seats would be sitting around for before even half were purchased.

I bet if you asked the demolition guys nicely they'd let you take some

Anyone think they'll auction off seats when they do eventually tear it down?  Like they did with Yankee Stadium?

Hell I'd buy one for my man cave if they weren't outrageously overpriced.

You can probably get those seats for free when the time comes...I'm serious.  For one, the tenants who once played there in the Nets and the Devils are LONG gone...it's not like when the Yankees moved to new Yankee Stadium, or when the Mets moved to CitiField, where the moves were immediate.  For another, even though the Devils won two championships on that ice, as we know, there's not enough Devils fans and hockey doesn't get enough publicity to make that ground "hallowed".  I think maybe the seats might've had some mild worth if the Devils had left and the building had been demolished immediately after, but by the time it actually happens, it's going to be so anticlimactic for most...and let's face it, there's nothing really "storied" or particularly memorable about CAA itself.  There's going to be almost no demand for those seats when they become available. 

And I think the market for the stadium memorabilia thing gets overblown...I bought a set of two Shea Stadium seats (one orange, one blue) almost three years after the demolition, and they can still be found on ebay (despite the usual "These won't last!  Order yours today before they're all gone!" BS).  Whoever is in charge of selling the seats tries to make it sound like seats from demolished or soon-to-be demolished arenas and stadiums are heavily in demand, but they're really not...they're niche items and most people don't have the room or are interesting in spending hundreds of dollars on such things.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

To save money, I always used to park for free in the industrial area on a side street off of Paterson Plank Road. Man, I'd freeze my nuts off making that walk in the dead of winter!

I don't smoke either anymore, but back then I did. In between periods, there would be a mad rush to get to one of the two designated outdoor smoking sections -- I forget, were they gates A and C or B and D? There would be arena personnel stationed at the gates to stamp your hand before exiting and reminding you to have your ticket stub handy for re-entry. They used to say, "Stub and stamp." My friends and I used to shout, "Stub and stamp!" "Stub and stamp!" every time we got there. We still joke about that to this day, LOL.

It was especially fun being outside those gates in between periods during Rangers-Devils and Flyers-Devils games. The back-and-forth chanting amongst the fans got intense sometimes.

Whenever we were lucky enough to score Gold Club seats, we'd race down to the Gold Bar in between periods to have a drink at the bar. They'd also let you use that exit for a smoke too, which was nice.

Sure the place looks like a dump these days in comparison to the Rock, but, ahhh, the memories. ...

To save money, I always used to park for free in the industrial area on a side street off of Paterson Plank Road. Man, I'd freeze my nuts off making that walk in the dead of winter!

I don't smoke either anymore, but back then I did. In between periods, there would be a mad rush to get to one of the two designated outdoor smoking sections -- I forget, were they gates A and C or B and D? There would be arena personnel stationed at the gates to stamp your hand before exiting and reminding you to have your ticket stub handy for re-entry. They used to say, "Stub and stamp." My friends and I used to shout, "Stub and stamp!" "Stub and stamp!" every time we got there. We still joke about that to this day, LOL.

It was especially fun being outside those gates in between periods during Rangers-Devils and Flyers-Devils games. The back-and-forth chanting amongst the fans got intense sometimes.

Whenever we were lucky enough to score Gold Club seats, we'd race down to the Gold Bar in between periods to have a drink at the bar. They'd also let you use that exit for a smoke too, which was nice.

Sure the place looks like a dump these days in comparison to the Rock, but, ahhh, the memories. ...

I'm almost 100% positive it was B & D.

I loved how they kept pushing us further and further away from the arena on Paterson Plank Rd. by putting up no parking signs starting in 2000.  The last year there we had to park at Redd's and walk to the arena from there.  I haven't been back to that dump since our last game there and I'll never set foot in that place again after how the staff there treated us in those final seasons.  I bet if they'd auction off the chance to activate the dynamite on that place or swing a wrecking ball into it they'd make more money than selling the seats.  

I'm almost 100% positive it was B & D.

I thought it was B & D but wasn't sure.

I loved how they kept pushing us further and further away from the arena on Paterson Plank Rd. by putting up no parking signs starting in 2000.  The last year there we had to park at Redd's and walk to the arena from there.  I haven't been back to that dump since our last game there and I'll never set foot in that place again after how the staff there treated us in those final seasons.  I bet if they'd auction off the chance to activate the dynamite on that place or swing a wrecking ball into it they'd make more money than selling the seats.  

For a while before they put up those No Parking signs on Paterson Plank Rd., I used to park in the grass, off the the side of the bridge that leads to the barge restaurant LOL.