Okay, so Parise's obviously gone...

Triumph

Since we all know that a Devils' player headed to UFA automatically means he's going to leave despite the multiple examples to the contrary, I figure I'd punch up a list of the top free agents in 2012. The Devils will have a lot of money to spend and a hole in their lineup.

RW Alex Semin - eh, I don't see it. One Russian superstar with a deadly wrist shot is enough.

LW Dustin Penner - Maybe Penner would drink the Kool-Aid. Very effective and underrated player, though has had motivation issues wherever he's gone.

RW Ales Hemsky - Injuries have derailed a promising career, but Edmonton is the suckiest bunch of sucks whoever sucked, so he might well be available. Extremely creative player, he would mesh well with Kovalchuk. He'd make an excellent trade deadline pickup.

C R.J. Umberger - People forget about Columbus, all tucked away down there, but Umberger has been a quietly effective player - NJ could move Elias back to wing to make room for him.

C Mikhail Grabovski - I can't imagine Toronto letting him go, since their lineup is desperately awful, but he's been a solid player on an awful team.

C/LW Patrick Sharp - I also can't see Chicago letting Sharp get away, but who knows, maybe he wants out. Had an outstanding year last year and would also make for a pretty great addition, although he would likely be on the downside of his career.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Till Zach is out the window and Lou doesn't resign him whenever. Then worry about it. Stop jumping the gun that our PArise will be a freaking Oiler or Duck.

I don't really care, if the Devils lose Parise, they lose him, its how things work in the NHL. Expectations will remain the same, Stanley Cup or bust. If they cannot sign him by trade deadline, Lou might have no choice but to trade him since next years free agent class is weak after him. Lou might have to make an exception to his rule of no negotiating during the season, but the one-year-deal for Parise will put pressure on both Zach and Devils to do some big things this year. Parise has also not proven anything in the playoffs, so it won't be a major catastrophe to lose him, Devils are used to this and even though there is a Salary Cap, Lou's philosophy remains the same.

This may be a dumb idea, but would it make any difference if they gave the "C" to Zach for this year and they had success? Or the fact he signed for one year the Captaincy is out of the question?

It's just hockey. Don't commit Harikari over it. Get some dope, turn on some Trailer Park Boys and relax.

You know the Oilers did win the cup the year after Gretzky left.

Yeah, as long as we have Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Fuhr and Coffey, we should be OK. :boogie:

Correction: Bill Ranford!

Edited by Jerrydevil

Yeah, as long as we have Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Fuhr and Coffey, we should be OK. :boogie:

Correction: Bill Ranford!

Okay, but my point is is that I don't think Parise, while being a valuable member of the roster, isn't the sole reason determining whether or not the Devs are successful. I want to see ZP signed, but his talents haven't brought the team any closer to a Stanley Cup. We didn't miss the playoffs last years solely because Parise was injured and we won't get another Stanley Cup automatically due to ZP.

Just a reminder for those with doom and gloom in their heads over this...

The Devils had a pretty nice little run last year without Parise. I love Zach as much as anyone, but last year proved a lot to me. The same way we had a nice little run the year before without Marty. This team will always find a way....

Just a reminder for those with doom and gloom in their heads over this...

The Devils had a pretty nice little run last year without Parise. I love Zach as much as anyone, but last year proved a lot to me. The same way we had a nice little run the year before without Marty. This team will always find a way....

thats true but that was through the season... we havent done anything post-season with him... and he was the team MVP 2 years in a row... so if we couldnt do sh!t WITH a top10 forward in the league, even 2... we are a team lacking scoring and Brodeur is not getting any younger he's not saving our ass as much as he did in the past. so losing a 40 goals scorer will CERTAINLY not help

thats true but that was through the season... we havent done anything post-season with him... and he was the team MVP 2 years in a row... so if we couldnt do sh!t WITH a top10 forward in the league, even 2... we are a team lacking scoring and Brodeur is not getting any younger he's not saving our ass as much as he did in the past. so losing a 40 goals scorer will CERTAINLY not help

zach parise isn't a top 10 forward, and ilya kovalchuk certainly isn't. thinking that zach parise is a 40 goal scorer going forward is naive too. parise has scored 40 goals once, and since then scoring has gone slightly down in the league.

also the devils' defense has gotten much better. it's probably the best it's been since 2004.

ps: jerry, edmonton dealt coffey way before gretzky.

Edited by Triumph

zach parise isn't a top 10 forward, and ilya kovalchuk certainly isn't. thinking that zach parise is a 40 goal scorer going forward is naive too. parise has scored 40 goals once, and since then scoring has gone slightly down in the league.

also the devils' defense has gotten much better. it's probably the best it's been since 2004.

ps: jerry, edmonton dealt coffey way before gretzky.

Well wtv we just dont see things the same way i guess so from here its pointless to argue on stuff that we can only supposed, im just getting anooying to people with different point of view now. So from now on i can only be wrong and super happy about it or devastated and told you all while ripping off my shirt "I Told you so!"

Lol so i guess we'll see. But lou failed with this contract and if its turning out well its just luck.