The death of rock radio in NYC...again...

thelastonealive

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, thanks for shedding light on what's happening behind the scenes. A listener-run radio station would be interesting, but I wonder if enough people would support it for it to stay afloat.

That's what the internet's for, not that it helps when I'm driving.

Yeah it's going to be a little while until the new station's up, but the call-out jingles are cheesy generic 101.9 jingles, and the music is WPLJ-stytle adult alternative (Goo Goo Dolls, Tragic Kingdom-era No Doubt, Maroon 5, etc.)

Seems like they rushed RXP off the air without even having the new station ready to go in it's place. Shame.

Until the new station is ready to take over (presumably Monday) they are just playing random music, no DJ's...definitely some stuff that didn't fit a typical RXP playlist but at least some of the songs are there.

Yeah listened again today and it was definitely not RXP music

• 2 weeks later...

From 6 AM to 12 PM 91.5 FM in NYC plays alternative rock. I've found it quite enjoyable and to be honest they play a lot of stuff that RXP couldn't fit into their playlist. Here is an example of today's playlist if anyone was wondering. The only thing that sucks is its not available all day unless you can stream it online. Still a decent alternative.

• 4 months later...

From 6 AM to 12 PM 91.5 FM in NYC plays alternative rock. I've found it quite enjoyable and to be honest they play a lot of stuff that RXP couldn't fit into their playlist. Here is an example of today's playlist if anyone was wondering. The only thing that sucks is its not available all day unless you can stream it online. Still a decent alternative.

Ya know, I tried a bunch of times to listen to this station within those hours, but I just can't get into it. The music selection doesn't rock enough for my tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know, I tried a bunch of times to listen to this station within those hours, but I just can't get into it. The music selection doesn't rock enough for my tastes.

I understand, they definitely play a lot more indie/art rock stuff than a typical station like RXP or KROCK did. Its not for everyone but I enjoy it since my musical taste are weird.

Long live Grock radio.

I'm still upset about that. I had only found out about GRock weeks before they went off air. At least in that short time frame it turned me onto a lot of artists I never heard before.

• 7 months later...

It's baaaaaaaaaaack!

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20120717/MEDIA_ENTERTAINMENT/120719897

Okay, so it's not exactly RXP just yet, but I dare say so far, it's better than it was when RXP was killed just under a year ago.

Currently, there are no DJs. There are no commercials (I'm assuming because the switch was sudden and they don't have sponsors). It's just modern rock music.

So far I've heard: Florence + The Machine (twice), The Killers (new song), Nirvana (twice), Gorillaz, The Lumineers, The Royal Concept, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park (twice, but both new songs and both surprisingly good). Not bad so far. Keep an eye (ear?) on this, I think there's potential for success, especially since they went back to RXP-style music in a market that's terribly underserved for that kind of stuff.

Edited by thelastonealive

And now they've reacquired the WRXP call letters. (They had been WEMP under the talk format.) Don't know yet whether this means they intend to go back to that branding, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they did.

In other rock radio news, WFNX in Boston is going away on Friday after 30 years as an alternative rock station, 29 of those under the ownership of the Boston Phoenix, the local alternative weekly newspaper. FNX has been sold to Clear Channel and is rumored to flip to either talk radio or Spanish-language music.

Nice! I have satellite, but I like there being a local station. I'll definitely check in from time to time if they focus on NY acts like RXP used to.

EDIT: Ignore my initial post, this is what I get for not checking the off topic section in days. :giggle:

I was really happy to randomly land on 101.9 today at work and find rock music playing. Hopefully this run goes a lot better than RXP's and both KRock's. It would be great if they focus more on alternative and new music than go back to playing so much cliche and classic rock music that RXP did.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Fixed the thread title to a less-somber sounding title.

I do have to say, I'm already a little annoyed at the overplaying of that damned Rise Against song. It's an alright song, but this station's been back four days and I've heard it five times, and I've only listened in my car. I can see repetition is going to be a bit of a problem early on at least, but I guess I can't blame them if they're trying to hook in listeners. I can give it a pass and deal with it for now, but it'll drive me back to my iPod eventually if it stays at this rate.

I'm happy to have it back, but they seem to be playing a lot of that new softer stuff like The Black Keys and similar sounding bands, which I really can't get into. I know people like that stuff but I miss the good ol' days when rock music was aggressive and made you bang your head.

I've been moderately impressed with their playlist so far - haven't heard anything too too much, except that one Rise Against song. Nice to hear bands like M83 get on rock radio - that song would have been HUGE on RXP had it been around when the album first came out.

I'm hoping they really work to expand their playlist even more as time goes on.

• 2 months later...

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/111125/merlin-sells-wrxp-new-york-to-cbs-wfan-to-fm

Aaaaand there it goes again. No goddamned patience in this business, I swear. I understand cashing out when CBS offers you a sh!t ton of a money, but still. Was a rock station for three months. At least we get a month's warning this time.

http://www.allaccess...-cbs-wfan-to-fm

Aaaaand there it goes again. No goddamned patience in this business, I swear. I understand cashing out when CBS offers you a sh!t ton of a money, but still. Was a rock station for three months. At least we get a month's warning this time.

This is why radio sucks in the New York Market, it is run by bean counters, not music or creative people.

Short sighted and living in the past.