BEER

TrentonDevils

Are these Troegs scratch beers going to get full distribution or is at the brewery only?

Brewery only. Came home with a growler of each.

They usually put some cases and six-packs on sale at the gift shop, but depending on popularity, they could go quickly.

They had the Mango IPA on shelves Friday morning, but cases/sixers were gone by early evening, and only growlers were available afterwards.

They still had sixers of their scratch Witbier at the gift shop on Saturday, which makes sense...just a so-so beverage.

I tried Stoudts Karnival Kolsch over the weekend -- a nice light refreshing beer, excellent for hot summer days.

I had Stoudts Pils once on tap and loved it, but for some reason I can't find it in stores anywhere near me. That's why I bought the kolsch.

I haven't come across many American breweries that make those regular German-style beers very well -- or at least not to my liking.

I got in a case of Flying Fish F U Sandy today. The description on the bottle sounds really interesting, i bought a bottle and its in my fridge now and ill drink it tomorrow and let everyone know how it is.

I also got in a case of Blue Point No Apologies. I expect it to be just as good as their last limited release they had out, their Sour Cherry Stout.

Kolsches underwhelm me thus far.

I'm actually into kombucha... I'm so ashamed and embarrassed.  It's like micro-brew near beers :giggle: my husband wants to puke just picking one up.

It was only my third time drinking a kolsch. It tastes close enough to a lager/pilsener that I am OK with it.

I've been looking for a light, American-made craft beer that I can drink on hot summer days -- aside from wheat beers and fruity beers and summer ales.

I've tried Victory Prima Pils, which is highly rated on Beer Advocate, and Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils, which isn't rated as high, but they both didn't do anything for me.

I just remembered I do like Sixpoint's The Crisp. And like I said in an earlier post, I had Stoudts Pils on tap and greatly enjoyed it.

I had never heard of kombucha. I had to Google it.

I got in a case of Flying Fish F U Sandy today. The description on the bottle sounds really interesting, i bought a bottle and its in my fridge now and ill drink it tomorrow and let everyone know how it is.

This first came out a few months ago on tap only, I had a pint of it and remember thinking it was pretty solid but nothing to go crazy about.  Good to see they are bottling it though, is a portion of the proceeds still going to the Sandy Relief Fund or whatever charity it was?  If so I'll probably try to pick up a bottle of it.

This first came out a few months ago on tap only, I had a pint of it and remember thinking it was pretty solid but nothing to go crazy about.  Good to see they are bottling it though, is a portion of the proceeds still going to the Sandy Relief Fund or whatever charity it was?  If so I'll probably try to pick up a bottle of it.

Yeah it just says some of the proceeds will go to relief efforts, it doesn't say how much, which is dumb. I mean its $82 a case for a beer brewed IN the state. You'd think they'd give a good chunk for something that highly priced (about $9.99 retail). Anyway the beer is actually pretty good, it pours a lighter amber color and smells lightly hoppy with a little fruitiness at the end. The taste is just like the smell, light hops at the start, not bitter at all, with a suprisingly smooth finish for a pale ale. Well they call it a hybrid wheat-pale ale. No lingering bad aftertaste that comes with a lot of hopped up beers. Just a real nice taste at the end. They didn't try and over power it like a lot of brands do. This is actually worth the money unlike many of these one-offs that come out.

I've been looking for a light, American-made craft beer that I can drink on hot summer days -- aside from wheat beers and fruity beers and summer ales.

I like the sly fox pilsner, for what you're looking for, though I'm not usually a pilsner fan.

Yeah it just says some of the proceeds will go to relief efforts, it doesn't say how much, which is dumb. I mean its $82 a case for a beer brewed IN the state. You'd think they'd give a good chunk for something that highly priced (about $9.99 retail). Anyway the beer is actually pretty good, it pours a lighter amber color and smells lightly hoppy with a little fruitiness at the end. The taste is just like the smell, light hops at the start, not bitter at all, with a suprisingly smooth finish for a pale ale. Well they call it a hybrid wheat-pale ale. No lingering bad aftertaste that comes with a lot of hopped up beers. Just a real nice taste at the end. They didn't try and over power it like a lot of brands do. This is actually worth the money unlike many of these one-offs that come out.

Eh I wouldn't expect the price to be that much lower for a one-off or limited release like this.  I mean Kane's A Night to End All Dawns was $15 even at the brewery.  I tried Carton's Boat last night and was very unimpressed, not much flavor and it even looks like slightly tinted water.  I want to love this brewery but I keep swinging and missing on all their beers.  I also had Hudson Pale Ale from NJ Brewing Co. last night, that one was solid.

I bet the specialty nitro keg is their oatmeal stout, which is only available on tap.  Seems like a lot of their recent tap takeovers have included this beer on nitro.  I had it a few weeks ago and didn't really care for it.  It wasn't bad, but wasn't as full-bodied as I had hoped.  I would like to try it from a regular tap though, I think the nitro mutes the flavors in exchange for a smoother mouthfeel.

Went to Moby's yesterday and had their Carton Wit Whale - it was good.  Not lemony but nice and tart and great with seafood!!  I had a Yeungling and snitched my husbands Carton!

I had been all in love with my woods thinking how the shore can't measure up -- then when we went to the Highlands I just stepped out of the car and what a great sea smell.  So wonderful.  I'm screwed I just love every part of the great outdoors - wherever I am as long as it's fresh and outside I'm happy -- even in the city I thrill at how nature finds a way to thrive even through pavement.

I like the sly fox pilsner, for what you're looking for, though I'm not usually a pilsner fan.

Thanks for the rec.

Similar to you, I'm normally not a big pilsener fan either. I usually drink pale ales, IPAs and stouts. But seeing as how the weather had been heating up the past couple of weeks, I got the idea that I'd be happier putting some beers on ice, pint glasses in the freezer, and drinking some frosty cold ones -- regardless of what temps the beer experts usually recommend. Boy am I glad I did.

Seeing as how it was Independence Day weekend, I decided to stick with American craft beers. I tried and compared about four different kinds: Victory Prima Pils, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils, Troegs Sunshine Pils and Sixpoint The Crisp.

Happily, I enjoyed them all. But I gotta admit, despite my preconceived notions going in, I found the Victory Pils hit just the right notes. It was very refreshing -- so very important on a hot, humid day -- and each sip left me craving another one. Perfect for summer BBQs and tailgaiting.

The Sly Fox and the Sixpoint scored highly with me too because they came in cans and hence stayed cold longer. The Sly Fox is more of a straight-up pils while The Crisp has some undetected flavors yet is -- as the name says -- very crisp and refreshing. And the Troegs surprised me, especially considering, as ridiculous as it sounds, how the bottle label looked kind of boring to me. I really expected it to be bland and sucky, but it tasted just as good as the Sly Fox.

When the weather gets cool again, I'll surely go back to drinking ales and stouts and the like, but for now, I think I found my new summertime beer style.

Thanks for the rec.

Similar to you, I'm normally not a big pilsener fan either. I usually drink pale ales, IPAs and stouts. But seeing as how the weather had been heating up the past couple of weeks, I got the idea that I'd be happier putting some beers on ice, pint glasses in the freezer, and drinking some frosty cold ones -- regardless of what temps the beer experts usually recommend. Boy am I glad I did.

Seeing as how it was Independence Day weekend, I decided to stick with American craft beers. I tried and compared about four different kinds: Victory Prima Pils, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils, Troegs Sunshine Pils and Sixpoint The Crisp.

Happily, I enjoyed them all. But I gotta admit, despite my preconceived notions going in, I found the Victory Pils hit just the right notes. It was very refreshing -- so very important on a hot, humid day -- and each sip left me craving another one. Perfect for summer BBQs and tailgaiting.

The Sly Fox and the Sixpoint scored highly with me too because they came in cans and hence stayed cold longer. The Sly Fox is more of a straight-up pils while The Crisp has some undetected flavors yet is -- as the name says -- very crisp and refreshing. And the Troegs surprised me, especially considering, as ridiculous as it sounds, how the bottle label looked kind of boring to me. I really expected it to be bland and sucky, but it tasted just as good as the Sly Fox.

When the weather gets cool again, I'll surely go back to drinking ales and stouts and the like, but for now, I think I found my new summertime beer style.

Thanks for the reviews. I'll probably try a couple of yours this summer, though I'm liking amber lager a lot right now.

Hey forgot to mention a couple new things:

1) Triumph is currently constructing their Red Bank location.  Right now the lot is clear but work is under way and is around the corner from where Basil T's is.  It is part of a mixed residential and commercial project there and will probably open in a year or so.

2) About 2 weeks ago I went to a beer glass tasting presented by Spiegelau.  Speigelau is owned by wine glass maker Riedel and they are famous for coming out a couple months ago with that new IPA-specific glass that was designed in partnership with Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada.  The tasting was at Miele NA HQ in Princeton and it was $50 for the 90 minute class.  It included beforehand a 30 minute reception with free appetizers and soft drinks and the class also included their beer glass testing set that you got to take home with you (worth $40).  The presenter Julio who is from Spiegelau let you sample beer from each glass and compare it to a regular bar pint glass.

Overall the class was somewhat informative and the beers were alright (had Sierra Nevada Summer Summerfest for the lager glass, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis for the Wheat beer glass, Dogfish Head 60-min IPA for the IPA glass and Chimay blue for the ale/pilsner glass).  Julio was nice and all but maybe perhaps too much salesman and could have toned down his sales pitch as we are already there and we already paid.  Still was pretty fun and you get a high-end glass set which was prett cool.  They are doing the same thing at Mason's Cellar in Rutherford with Julio.  It is $50 and you get the glass set too and it is the same deal.  For some reason I am not seeing the date but it is within the next month if I remember right.  The reception starts at 6 and tasting is at 6:30.  It is something to do to kill a couple of hours in an evening.

Here is the glass set you get to take home: http://www.riedelusa.net/tasting-kit-craft-beer-glasses.html

Hey forgot to mention a couple new things:

1) Triumph is currently constructing their Red Bank location.  Right now the lot is clear but work is under way and is around the corner from where Basil T's is.  It is part of a mixed residential and commercial project there and will probably open in a year or so.

2) About 2 weeks ago I went to a beer glass tasting presented by Spiegelau.  Speigelau is owned by wine glass maker Riedel and they are famous for coming out a couple months ago with that new IPA-specific glass that was designed in partnership with Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada.  The tasting was at Miele NA HQ in Princeton and it was $50 for the 90 minute class.  It included beforehand a 30 minute reception with free appetizers and soft drinks and the class also included their beer glass testing set that you got to take home with you (worth $40).  The presenter Julio who is from Spiegelau let you sample beer from each glass and compare it to a regular bar pint glass.

Overall the class was somewhat informative and the beers were alright (had Sierra Nevada Summer Summerfest for the lager glass, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis for the Wheat beer glass, Dogfish Head 60-min IPA for the IPA glass and Chimay blue for the ale/pilsner glass).  Julio was nice and all but maybe perhaps too much salesman and could have toned down his sales pitch as we are already there and we already paid.  Still was pretty fun and you get a high-end glass set which was prett cool.  They are doing the same thing at Mason's Cellar in Rutherford with Julio.  It is $50 and you get the glass set too and it is the same deal.  For some reason I am not seeing the date but it is within the next month if I remember right.  The reception starts at 6 and tasting is at 6:30.  It is something to do to kill a couple of hours in an evening.

Here is the glass set you get to take home: http://www.riedelusa.net/tasting-kit-craft-beer-glasses.html

:doh1:  I work across the street from Miele. I can see it from my office window.  Wish I had known about this event.

Just picked up a bottle of Weyerbacher Viridis Lupulus (750ml) at Canals Lawrenceville. Although I can't say the name the beer is a new offering from Weyerbacher and sounds good:

Viridis Lupulus is a celebration of the renewal of spring. This will be a new seasonal, being released in spring / early summer each year. Each brew will feature a different selection of hops from year to year. Viridis Lupulus is an unfiltered golden-copper IPA with an aggressive hop profile. Massive amounts of Apollo, Calypso, Centennial, and Galaxy hops fill this beer with dank citrus and tropical aromas. The bottle-conditioning will propel the aromas out of your glass and create a tight, fluffy head. This beer is a pure hop experience!
7.5% ABV, 95 IBU, Bottle Conditioned 750ml cork and cage package only.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/viridis-lupulus-from-weyerbacher-released.100757/

I will update once I consume  :beerbang:

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

Just picked up a bottle of Weyerbacher Viridis Lupulus (750ml) at Canals Lawrenceville. Although I can't say the name the beer is a new offering from Weyerbacher and sounds good:

Viridis Lupulus is a celebration of the renewal of spring. This will be a new seasonal, being released in spring / early summer each year. Each brew will feature a different selection of hops from year to year. Viridis Lupulus is an unfiltered golden-copper IPA with an aggressive hop profile. Massive amounts of Apollo, Calypso, Centennial, and Galaxy hops fill this beer with dank citrus and tropical aromas. The bottle-conditioning will propel the aromas out of your glass and create a tight, fluffy head. This beer is a pure hop experience!

7.5% ABV, 95 IBU, Bottle Conditioned 750ml cork and cage package only.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/viridis-lupulus-from-weyerbacher-released.100757/

I will update once I consume  :beerbang:

Basically another beer in a long list of beers where brewers think "let me hop the sh!t out of this beer and hope it sticks!"

I love IPA's but these brewers are just going too nuts trying to out-hop each other for only the sake of it.

Has anyone here tried Flying Fish FU Sandy?  It's labeled as a "hybrid wheat pale ale". Wheats usually aren't my thing but I have heard good things about this beer.  Saw it in bombers at Wegmans but passed the first time around.

I had it on tap when they first came out with it a few months ago and a friend of mine brought over a bottle a few days ago.  It comes in 750s by the way, bombers are the 22 oz. bottles which are a little smaller.  I think it's alright, nothing to write home about and if it was on shelves year-round there wouldn't be any buzz about it at all.  It's cool that some of it goes to Sandy relief though.  Also they made a typo right on the top of the label, "Proudly brewed in New Jesery."

Basically another beer in a long list of beers where brewers think "let me hop the sh!t out of this beer and hope it sticks!"

I love IPA's but these brewers are just going too nuts trying to out-hop each other for only the sake of it.

Depends. I agree that that's a problem, and haven't tried viridis lupulus yet, but some beers with a ton of different kinds of hops (rather than just a ton of hops) have good layers of flavor. In general, I'll give that kind of beer a chance, though I know I'll sometimes (even often) be disappointed.