Super Bowl in London?

LetsGoDevils

Goodell: Super Bowl may someday be held in London

Oct. 15, 2007

CBSSports.com wire reports

SCOTTSDALE, Arizona -- A future NFL champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for American pro football's biggest matchup, given the opening of the stadium's lastest incarnation and enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the U.S.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

HELL NO! :soap:

I dunno if stupid is the word... the Super Bowl as an event is a bloated overrated joke anyway that's not been about fans in about 20 years... so why not isolate it and put it somewhere that no one will care about it anyway ??

I don't care... just play the effing game and keep it OFF ESPN!!! :rant:

At least this way we'll have the spoiled reporters who go to it piss whine and complain about traveling and weather and all the other stuff those pissy babies bitch about!

its not like the places are packed with fans from the team since most of the time they play them in differant places. i dont see the big deal of playing it in london if it makes more money for the nfl, i dont see why they wouldnt do it.

Do you really wanna watch the game at... 12pm?

??

NFL IS IN AMERICA, its belong here.

Yeah, so why not do the Superbowl in Mexico, or Canada?

??

They are not ever going to have a Super Bowl in London.

This is merely hype for the upcoming game in London. But Crasher is right, the Super Bowl hasn't been about the championship in years - part of why of the 3 sports I follow well, the NFL playoffs are my least favorite.

Cities bid to have the Super Bowl come to them. They build newer stadiums, on tax money. Season ticket holders pay good money for their seats. Then the league has the stupidity to think of playing this game outside the U.S.?

No %^%$# way! Totally a BS dumb idea. Next lets have a team in Australia and make it a really far road game.

Bring back NFL Europe, and let this idea die.