2011 MLB Playoffs Thread!

nmigliore

Still can't believe how easy Carpenter made it look out there tonight.

According to ESPN Stats and Information...

Chris Carpenter is the 3rd pitcher to throw a shutout allowing 3 hits or fewer in a "winner-take-all" postseason game. The others were Sandy Koufax in 1965 World Series and Johnny Kucks in 1956 World Series.

Pretty damn impressive. As for Halladay, it's been known that his 1st inning is his worst inning, and it carried over into the playoffs. From ESPN again...

Roy Halladay 2011 Regular Season 1st Inning All Other Innings ERA 3.66 2.14 Opp BA .274 .233 K-BB 34-5 186-30 >>Allowed all 4 of his runs in postseason in 1st inning.

sh!t! Well, gotta win 3 straight now boys! Backs to the wall.... come out SWINGING!!!!

I know it woulda been a risky call, but I wished Leland replaced Cabrera with a pinch runner who coulda out run Cruz's AWESOME throw in the 8th, when he was in scoring position with 1 out. Damnit!

HOPE the Tigers can push the series to game 7 tonight. But it looks like Holland has been drinking his chocolate milk today, so who knows? smilydev.gif

its sad to say this, because it seemed like last night was a very good game.

but im sorry, i realllly couldn't give a sh!t about this world series.. part of me wishes it was already over. sometimes, when your team is out, continuing to watch after 200 games is tough to do

I don't mean to jinx them, but I can't believe the Cards, with a 3-run lead, are only 6 outs away from a World Series title. A team that took a huge blow losing their ace Adam Wainwright just before the season... a team that looked completely out of the playoff picture in late August... a team that most people figured the Phillies would breeze by in the Divisional Series... and a team that was down to its final out, it's final STRIKE, just last night. What an incredible run.

I can't imagine what it must feel to Texas though. Back-to-back years in the World Series and nothing to show for it. This one would really hurt too considering the circumstances.

Edited by nmigliore

I have to admit, though I was rooting for Texas and them winning their first is a better story than the Cardinals winning their eleventh, the Cardinals' team winning it is ultimately one of the best stories sports has seen in a while. With all they have had to overcome and how many times they were literally do-or-die, it really is unbelievable that they're in this position.

Though I'm not a big fan of him personally you could make a case for LaRussa being the best manager of all time. Certainly Dave Duncan is second to none as far as a pitching coach.

Just an incredible run. The chances of them winning the world series at the start of September had to be 0.01%. Incredible run. As good as the Cards were, and they deserve all the credit, you can't help but think of all the managerial msitakes Ron Washington made during the World Series.

The Rangers for the second year in a row were the more talented team. A shame they couldn't win one. Feel bad for everyone in that clubhouse.

Edit: And people boo Gary Bettman. Bud Selig deserves more boos, and he has a damn sheet to read names. Are you kidding me? What a dolt.

Edited by devilsrule33