BEER

TrentonDevils

Also they made a typo right on the top of the label, "Proudly brewed in New Jesery."

What is it with those hybrid wheats/pales and their typos?

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale mentions getting one out of the "frige" on their label.

After today's Kovy news there is not enough craft beer in the world to hide the anger and pain of losing him.

+1

Hunterdon Distributors just posted on their facebook page the new releases for next week, and it already includes a few pumpkin beers.  :rant:

At this rate, in a few years we will be seeing summer beers on shelves while there is still snow outside and holiday beers will be out before Halloween!

Hunterdon Distributors just posted on their facebook page the new releases for next week, and it already includes a few pumpkin beers.  :rant:

At this rate, in a few years we will be seeing summer beers on shelves while there is still snow outside and holiday beers will be out before Halloween!

Yeah the season beer creep is getting worse each year.  The Spring beers that Sam Adams puts out start in mid to late January now and end by mid Febrary.  Then the Summer styles start in mid to late April.

Weyerbacher released something about their pumpkin being on the shelves by first week of August (and july 14 in their tasting area!).  You'll find no bigger fan of pumpkin brew than me but it is ridiculous.  I don't usually want a pumpkin beer on a 99 degree day in mid August.  I want it in late September-November when I'm watching football and the leaves are changing colors.  I agree the seasonal creep needs to be curtailed.

On another note I think I'll head down to the local liquor store after work for a few six packs to wash Kovalchuk away.

Weyerbacher released something about their pumpkin being on the shelves by first week of August (and july 14 in their tasting area!).  You'll find no bigger fan of pumpkin brew than me but it is ridiculous.  I don't usually want a pumpkin beer on a 99 degree day in mid August.  I want it in late September-November when I'm watching football and the leaves are changing colors.  I agree the seasonal creep needs to be curtailed.

On another note I think I'll head down to the local liquor store after work for a few six packs to wash Kovalchuk away.

This is exactly how I feel.  Unfortunately if you want good seasonals, you now have to buy them months in advance because when it's actually the right setting to drink these beers, the stores will be sold out of them and will already have next season's beers!

Got home yesterday to a Southern Tier "Super Pack".  A nice surprise from the GF.  It's a 12 pack made up of 2X IPA, Unearthly and Iniquity Imperial Black. Unearthly and Iniquity are only available in 12oz bottles in this Super Pack to my knowledge.  A pretty awesome, high ABV mix. 

Yeah the season beer creep is getting worse each year.  The Spring beers that Sam Adams puts out start in mid to late January now and end by mid Febrary.  Then the Summer styles start in mid to late April.

Oktoberfest and pumpkin beers will be out in mid-late August. My salesmen are taking preorders for all off them now. They've been releasing beers at the same times every year, its just they sell so damn well its worth it to order it as soon as it comes out now. Sam could come out with Alpo flavored beer and it would sell out. Although i will say their special spring seasonal was a HUGE flop this year, the new albion ale. 

There's much more demand for the craft beers now compared to years ago, but its leveling off. Personally if you ask me the whole craft beer thing is over hyped, for as many good ones there are there is 10 times that many bad/mediocre ones. There's only a certain number of people willing to spend $8 and upward for a 6 Pk. of beer. It's just people spending that ridiculous amount on a 6 Pk don't wanna say they wasted their money and try and make it better than it is.

I don't think spending around $10 on a six pack is ridiculous at all depending on what you're getting.  If you're comparing a six pack of Nugget Nectar to a six pack of Bud Light, then of course the prices are going to seem ridiculous, but it's apples and oranges.  You get what you pay for.

Sam Adams are usually about $9 a 6-pack and that has grown considerably even in the last few years.

I often pay in the $9-14 range for a 6-pack and believe it is worth every penny.  I see more and more people agreeing with me at bars and liquor stores all the time.

Yes sam adams which is a billion dollar company. They sell quality products and you know what you're getting time in and time out. If you ask me their the best company around. BUT paying around 9 dollars and upward for a six pack is ridiculous. I manage a bar and liquor store, the consumers speak for themselves. For every 1 case of craft beer you'll sell about 50 cases of normal domestic and imports. Me personally i love to try the new crafts, but the average Joe isn't going to even think of spending that amount of money for a beer that's probably going to be garbage compared to a bud or rolling rock. You see people agreeing with you because you're at a bar serving craft beers lol they wouldn't be there if they didn't like the same things you do. 

I don't mind spending the money, and neither do any of yous, but a lot of the times i'm 4 beers through a six pack and say to myself, welp that was nice to try but i'll never buy that again. Why, because most crafts are mediocre at best, but it's fun to discuss them and try new styles.

On that note has anyone tried innis & gunn? I'm drinking the original and i gotta say it is absolutely awesome. It's so smooth and has a little vanilla/caramel taste to it. 

Yes sam adams which is a billion dollar company. They sell quality products and you know what you're getting time in and time out. If you ask me their the best company around. BUT paying around 9 dollars and upward for a six pack is ridiculous. I manage a bar and liquor store, the consumers speak for themselves. For every 1 case of craft beer you'll sell about 50 cases of normal domestic and imports. Me personally i love to try the new crafts, but the average Joe isn't going to even think of spending that amount of money for a beer that's probably going to be garbage compared to a bud or rolling rock. You see people agreeing with you because you're at a bar serving craft beers lol they wouldn't be there if they didn't like the same things you do.

I don't mind spending the money, and neither do any of yous, but a lot of the times i'm 4 beers through a six pack and say to myself, welp that was nice to try but i'll never buy that again. Why, because most crafts are mediocre at best, but it's fun to discuss them and try new styles.

On that note has anyone tried innis & gunn? I'm drinking the original and i gotta say it is absolutely awesome. It's so smooth and has a little vanilla/caramel taste to it.

Well it depends on an area your bar an liquor store are at. There are certain populations who are quite content with the sh!t beers and that's fine. I do see more and more bars that used to not serve craft beer now have them, so there must be an increase in demand to the point where they are devoting valuable tap space to these craft beers. As for the price yes they are more, but is rather spend $9 on a so-so craft beer than $4 or $5 on a sh!tty six pack of bud or coors. Even beers like the below average Founders lineup of beers are far superior than anything anheuser Busch, coors and miller can spit out. Hell the big guys have been so afraid of craft beer that they have been rolling out these fake craft beer brands like leinenkugel and batch 19 over the past few years to tap into that market. If they are so confident in their flagship products they wouldn't even bother to to do that but they are.

It's hard to break the average joe's taste buds after decades of marketing and small selection and quality put out by the big guys. However most people I have seen who have never tried craft before and finally do never go back to the big brewery swill ever again.

• Like 1

The sales numbers comparing craft to mass-produced swill aren't a good measure of what is better, they are just a good measure of who has the cash on hand for advertising campaigns.  If Dogfish Head had advertisements constantly in your face every single day like Anheuser Busch and MillerCoors do, I guarantee they would be selling a lot more. 

And I completely disagree with your sentiment that most craft beers aren't as good as Bud or Rolling Rock, sorry but that is one of the craziest things I've ever heard from someone who works in the industry.  It is no secret that the beer most people drink tastes like sh!t, even the people making it know it.  Just look at their commercials--they usually make very little mention of the actual beer itself and they instead try to sell you on being popular or they just try to fool you with gimmicks like different packaging or they claim that their beer is the most refreshing or coldest or they make up phrases like "frost brewed" or "triple hops brewed."  If their beer was actually good, why wouldn't they tout it in their own ads?  Making good beer isn't even that high of a priority, their entire business revolves around cutting corners in the recipe for the sake of mass production.  For craft brewers, they know they can't rely on the mainstream, uninformed, crowd-following, buy-whatever-is-the-cheapest, believe the marketing beer drinker, so their top priority is making good beer.

Also I don't think I've ever found myself four beers deep into the same six pack in one night, probably because there are so many different craft beers out there that I like having a variety instead of drinking four of the same beer in one night.

Funny you mention Innis & Gunn, I have never had any of their beers but just the other day I picked up a four pack of their Scottish stout aged in Irish whiskey barrels and a single bottle of their original.  Haven't opened one up yet, but looking forward to trying them.

• Like 1

The Brewery At Hershey opens the weekend of 8/9-8/10 (official opening) and I know the head brewmaster well. He's the other goalie on my ice hockey team...beat out 40 other home-brewers to win the job.

The man's gonna hit it outta the park...man's got a bock and a bitter that'll knock your socks off.

• 2 weeks later...

The sales numbers comparing craft to mass-produced swill aren't a good measure of what is better, they are just a good measure of who has the cash on hand for advertising campaigns.  If Dogfish Head had advertisements constantly in your face every single day like Anheuser Busch and MillerCoors do, I guarantee they would be selling a lot more. 

And I completely disagree with your sentiment that most craft beers aren't as good as Bud or Rolling Rock, sorry but that is one of the craziest things I've ever heard from someone who works in the industry.  It is no secret that the beer most people drink tastes like sh!t, even the people making it know it.  Just look at their commercials--they usually make very little mention of the actual beer itself and they instead try to sell you on being popular or they just try to fool you with gimmicks like different packaging or they claim that their beer is the most refreshing or coldest or they make up phrases like "frost brewed" or "triple hops brewed."  If their beer was actually good, why wouldn't they tout it in their own ads?  Making good beer isn't even that high of a priority, their entire business revolves around cutting corners in the recipe for the sake of mass production.  For craft brewers, they know they can't rely on the mainstream, uninformed, crowd-following, buy-whatever-is-the-cheapest, believe the marketing beer drinker, so their top priority is making good beer.

Also I don't think I've ever found myself four beers deep into the same six pack in one night, probably because there are so many different craft beers out there that I like having a variety instead of drinking four of the same beer in one night.

Funny you mention Innis & Gunn, I have never had any of their beers but just the other day I picked up a four pack of their Scottish stout aged in Irish whiskey barrels and a single bottle of their original.  Haven't opened one up yet, but looking forward to trying them.

I agree with your first point about how advertising would boost craft sales, but nowhere to the point of the buds and miller/coors. As far as how the big companies advertise, that's how just most big companies advertise; ie. fast food, soda, car insurance, cars. They all just try and be innovative in the way the present it, because everyone already knows the product. You and devsman may think those brands taste like sh!t, but they're really not bad, but hey everyone has a different taste right?

Now to the beer... Idk if anyone here is a cider drinker, but the market is just being flooded with it. Boston beer has their Angry orchard which is very good, and if you've had one i'm sure at one point you've had one with a shot of fireball in it, and its absolutely delicious. Well Boston beer saw this and they'll be coming out with Angry Orchard Cinful Apple sometime in August, and its probably going to be phenomenal if you ask me. They tried to make an elderflower flavored cider in the spring though and it was god awful, it tasted like perfume. 

Did you wind up liking the Innis & Gunn Original? I had the Aged Rum Barrel one the other day it wasn't as good as the original. 

One more thing i had the cricket hill jersey summer breakfast ale. Awesome, if you can find some grab yourself a 6pk you wont regret it.

Almost everyone who enjoys craft beer will tell you BMC mass-produced swill tastes like utter garbage.  Same thing with fast food.  Both fast food and BMC beers aren't nearly as good as the real deal that is actually produced with quality in mind, but they are bought more often because they put their money towards advertising instead of product quality, and they are readily available.

I'm not really into cider that much.  I don't dislike it, but it seems extremely one-dimensional compared to craft beer.

I actually haven't had the original Innis & Gunn yet.  I bought one bottle and it's still in my fridge.  I bought a four pack of their Scottish ale aged in Irish whiskey barrels and have had a few of those.  It's nothing mind-blowing, but it's pretty good.  If you're looking for a solid stout that isn't overly thick, it's worth trying as long as you're not expecting to be blown away.

I recently got a six pack of Bear Republic's Red Rocket Ale, that stuff is really good, it's a pretty hoppy red ale.  Lately I've been buying beers that I've always seen in stores but for some reason always passed over.

Almost everyone who enjoys craft beer will tell you BMC mass-produced swill tastes like utter garbage.  Same thing with fast food.  Both fast food and BMC beers aren't nearly as good as the real deal that is actually produced with quality in mind, but they are bought more often because they put their money towards advertising instead of product quality, and they are readily available.

I'm not really into cider that much.  I don't dislike it, but it seems extremely one-dimensional compared to craft beer.

I actually haven't had the original Innis & Gunn yet.  I bought one bottle and it's still in my fridge.  I bought a four pack of their Scottish ale aged in Irish whiskey barrels and have had a few of those.  It's nothing mind-blowing, but it's pretty good.  If you're looking for a solid stout that isn't overly thick, it's worth trying as long as you're not expecting to be blown away.

I recently got a six pack of Bear Republic's Red Rocket Ale, that stuff is really good, it's a pretty hoppy red ale.  Lately I've been buying beers that I've always seen in stores but for some reason always passed over.

There is also a large portion of drinkers out there who only drink beer as well as other alocoholic drinks simply to get drunk.  While the mass-produced garbage usually has lower alcohol content, you can usually buy about 3 six-packs for the price of 1 six-pack of craft beer.  Craft beer is also something that is usually not pounded like the crap beers are and when people have party or buying beers for other, they usually head towards the cheapest stuff so they can get the most amount.

There are large portion of people who buy the mass-produced beer because of price, but these people usually couldn't care less about taste than to either get drunk or just get something to keep their friends happy and drunk as well.

Of course there are those people, but they aren't concerned with taste.  We are talking about whether BMC products taste good.  Even so, if I'm looking to drink a lot of beer, there are better options out there.  I would rather drink Yuengling or even Yuengling Light before anything made from Anheuser-Busch or MillerCoors.

How much is a six pack of something like Bud Light?  Can you really get three of them for $10-12?

Of course there are those people, but they aren't concerned with taste.  We are talking about whether BMC products taste good.  Even so, if I'm looking to drink a lot of beer, there are better options out there.  I would rather drink Yuengling or even Yuengling Light before anything made from Anheuser-Busch or MillerCoors.

How much is a six pack of something like Bud Light?  Can you really get three of them for $10-12?

You can usually get a 6-pack of Bud light for about $4 these days.  Sometimes I see them on sale for as low as $3 for a six-pack.

In terms of taste there is no comparison.  Yuengling is the only mass-produced beer (I know I am kinda stretching with that) that is decent.

You can usually get a 6-pack of Bud light for about $4 these days.  Sometimes I see them on sale for as low as $3 for a six-pack.

In terms of taste there is no comparison.  Yuengling is the only mass-produced beer (I know I am kinda stretching with that) that is decent.

Maybe in 1993, its 18.20 for a case of 6pks. You show me the place selling bud or miller or coors for 3 or 4 dollars and ill show you a place the ABC can go into and fine whatever they want. You can't sell beer below cost its illegal. Those beers go for around 6 dollars a 6pk. So no you cant buy 3 6pks of normal beer for the price of 1 craft 6.

I'm not sure where yous are getting the idea that people don't care about taste. I have a lot of people who drink the main brands try crafts, and most of them say they suck. People aren't going to drink things that taste like garbage on a nightly basis just to get drunk. I'm talking about grown adults not some kids pooling there money together to get a 30 pk of busch. Yes, yous two don't like normal beer, but yous are in the vast minority. That's not my opinion its a fact. Plain and simple. So we can sit here for another 2 weeks and argue about our difference in taste buds, but the simple fact is AB and MillerCoors make delicious beer for the masses.

Maybe in 1993, its 18.20 for a case of 6pks. You show me the place selling bud or miller or coors for 3 or 4 dollars and ill show you a place the ABC can go into and fine whatever they want. You can't sell beer below cost its illegal. Those beers go for around 6 dollars a 6pk. So no you cant buy 3 6pks of normal beer for the price of 1 craft 6.

I'm not sure where yous are getting the idea that people don't care about taste. I have a lot of people who drink the main brands try crafts, and most of them say they suck. People aren't going to drink things that taste like garbage on a nightly basis just to get drunk. I'm talking about grown adults not some kids pooling there money together to get a 30 pk of busch. Yes, yous two don't like normal beer, but yous are in the vast minority. That's not my opinion its a fact. Plain and simple. So we can sit here for another 2 weeks and argue about our difference in taste buds, but the simple fact is AB and MillerCoors make delicious beer for the masses.

Yuengling is currently going for about $5.50 for a six pack at a couple liquor stores near my in hillsborough, so what makes you think bud or coors is going to be $6? For a guy in the liquor business you are either ripping off your customers or some other shenanigans is going on.

Also your last line just lost all whatever credibility you have. Obviously the swill is good enough for you and that is fine, but to say that the craft beer growth is slowing down or overhyped is just comical. Of course people who drink the main brands are going to say craft beer sucks. If you eat McDonald's all your life then eat the food at Per Se they would probably ask where the burgers are on the menu. It's what they are used to after advertising and convenience and cost have shoved down their throats.

Yuengling is currently going for about $5.50 for a six pack at a couple liquor stores near my in hillsborough, so what makes you think bud or coors is going to be $6? For a guy in the liquor business you are either ripping off your customers or some other shenanigans is going on.

Also your last line just lost all whatever credibility you have. Obviously the swill is good enough for you and that is fine, but to say that the craft beer growth is slowing down or overhyped is just comical. Of course people who drink the main brands are going to say craft beer sucks. If you eat McDonald's all your life then eat the food at Per Se they would probably ask where the burgers are on the menu. It's what they are used to after advertising and convenience and cost have shoved down their throats.

Oh im sorry i forgot you work in the business so your input is on par or much better than mine. And i also noticed that youre mathematics are on about a 1st grade level. You're literally arguing with me as if you know how much thing should be priced yet you have ZERO knowledge of the business. Do me a favor buddy get your calculator out......Got it out? Okay now do 18.20 divided by 4. What'd you come up with professor? Okay now since you're "in the know" when it comes to the alcohol business, take that number you got and mark it up the standard amount for beer. Whatd you come up with? Now i'd like for you to admit you're wrong for the first time ever on this forum. I like craft beer, but it is overhyped because theres a tiny demographic of people who buy the stuff and theres a good reason behind that. Its kids 21-30 with disposable income who can blow 12 bucks on a beer theyve never had before in the off chance they might like it. But you already knew this because thats your line of work that you deal with 10 hours a day correct? You are literally the worst, most onesided, judgemental human being on this forum. Its like talking to a dead goldfish trying to have a conversation with you about anything