USA Soccer

Devils Pride 26

Did Spain actually play their A team? I know sometimes in these exhibition tournaments national teams play with a lot of substitues.

I don't follow the sport enough to know, but Spain totally dominated the US scoring chance-wise. Spain looked like an amazing team out there.

Edited by The Facepainter

Spain definitly played their best team. It was almost the same team that beat Germany in the european championship final one year ago:(. Spain dominated the most parts of game because team USA played a very defensive style especially in the second half. But their strikers Villa and Torres weren't a huge factor in the game because of the awesome performance by the US-defenders Onyewu and DeMerit (I've never heard of that guy before).

that 2nd goal was huge too (well, duh lol).. but it was looking like Spain would definitely find a way to tie it the way they were playing in that 2nd half, US were playing on their toes defensively that whole 2nd half until they registered their 2nd SOG which happened to go in :lol:.. but yeah once US got that 2nd goal it pretty much closed the book on Spain.

And that definitely had to be spain's top team.. Villa, Torres, Casillas, Puyol

i can't believe the USA won, but wow GO USA.. was that like beating Russia in the hockey Olympics?

Eh I wouldn't go that far since the Olympics is a bigger stage than the Confederations Cup. Also I think the Soviets were a more dominant hockey team than Spain's current soccer team. It's also worth noting that both the US and Spain have pro players while in 1980 USA's hockey team was college kids going up against Soviet pro players. It's also not the same since we're not in a Cold War with Spain so this game probably doesn't have much relevance outside of the sports world.

But still it's awesome.

This has been a good tournament so far, didnt expect the USA to win yesterday but the worked harder than Spain , and Villa and Torres were wastefull.

I think the dream match for the Final was Spain V's Brazil, so im pretty dissapointed that ones not going to be played. Spain really missed Inesta in midfield to control the game.

When Italy went down 3-0 to Brazil i knew the USA would pull it off, Egypt gave it their all against italy and brazil and had nothing left, and the USA were finding their stride after a slow start. Clint Dempsey is a fantastic player as is Donovan.

Dont think it matters which keeper you go with, Howard didn't stand a chance against Brazil but he is a top quality keeper, i think he is better than Guzan by a long way (both are far inferior to Brad Friedle but thats obviously not an issue)

I cant see anyone beating Brazil the way they have played so far in this tournament has been nothing short of staggering, Maicon Kaka , Robinho and Luis Fabiano have been outstanding up front the movement of the entire team should be to much for South Africa and the USA

From yesterday's New York Times:

According to Betfair, an online betting emporium ... around the world ... a total of $51 has been bet on the United States winning the Confederations Cup at the astronomical odds of 999-to-1. That means that for every $1 bet, the punter will skate away with $999 if the United States should beat Brazil.

From yesterday's New York Times:

According to Betfair, an online betting emporium ... around the world ... a total of $51 has been bet on the United States winning the Confederations Cup at the astronomical odds of 999-to-1. That means that for every $1 bet, the punter will skate away with $999 if the United States should beat Brazil.

How do I get in on this racket?

You wouldn't get those odds now anyway, I would guess, I'm thinking those are the odds before the tourney started.

I don't now but the total in bets for this match is somewhat like $70,000 only $4,000 for the USA win and $63,000 are bets on Brazil win.

Yes, but 999 to 1 odds say the odds maker are comfortable paying out 1000 bucks for every 1 dollar bet. Even those lopsided bets would only pay out $17.50 per dollar bet. It would be insane to every give someone 999 to 1 odds on any professional sporing event that is decided in 1 game. Anything can happen in 1 game.

Yes, but 999 to 1 odds say the odds maker are comfortable paying out 1000 bucks for every 1 dollar bet. Even those lopsided bets would only pay out $17.50 per dollar bet. It would be insane to every give someone 999 to 1 odds on any professional sporing event that is decided in 1 game. Anything can happen in 1 game.

Yeah, I'm guessing that was at the start of the tournament.