Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

I did not mean just jerseys. There is alot to merchandise, and a new shot in the arm to a franchise could carry over to other things. Increased season ticket sales, etc etc. Look what our Cup run did for the Devils this year? Granted signing the greatest goaltender of all time is not necessarily the same thing, but I am pretty sure he would energize any fan base he went to....

I posted something similar on the other thread, but this is not like Gretzky being traded in his prime to LA Kings.

It would be more like Chelios with Atlanta or Coffey with Carolina or Boston. I cannot see a team reaping a ton of money off a goalie in the twilight of his career no matter what his credentials are.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but when I was younger and only went to games here and there I would ask my parents to get tickets against certain teams because I liked certain goalies.

Yeah, but were you going to any more Devils games because of a particular player was on the roster? Perhaps only in a literal sense, in that good players make a good team, the latter of which you were really paying to see.

Unless some small market team looking to make a splash is bidding, the effect on revenue will be minimal if not non-existent. Owners, and not GMs, think in those terms.

You don't think some owners in the NHL have significant input on business/personnel decisions made?!?!?!

yeah in the stories about this, it's not surprising to see obvious Devils fans make comments ranging from encouraging Marty to sign elsewhere, to getting ready to jump out of a tall building. First the big deal with Parise, now this. Who said the offseason has no action?

I posted something similar on the other thread, but this is not like Gretzky being traded in his prime to LA Kings.

It would be more like Chelios with Atlanta or Coffey with Carolina or Boston. I cannot see a team reaping a ton of money off a goalie in the twilight of his career no matter what his credentials are.

I can see your point, but comparing Marty now to either Chelios in Atlanta OR Coffey with Carolina/Boston is a complete insult to Marty and his legacy. Marty is THE greatest goaltender in NHL history...and likely a top 10 PLAYER in NHL history. (has to be Top 15 at worst case?) I do not think anyone would say Chelios or Coffey was the single GREATEST defenseman of all time. Not to mention that in their old age their impact was minimal, whereas Marty could get hot on the right team and make his mark....

The percentage of casual sports fans that know Brodeur is probably double-or-triple that of Chelios or Coffey. No, it isn't Gretzky, but it's definitely Favre-like.

Good analogy, and in looking at both of them relative to their own sports...I still think MARTY'S BETTER!

No, I don't think they will. And all that good will would curdle real quick if Brodeur came out playing like he did the last two years.

If he was a FA last year you would have been making the same argument on why he wasn't worth 5m and that he would never be able to put up a playoffs like the one he just did. Look at whats in front of us, worst case scenario we need to spend at least 12m to be a floor team, there's no point in signing Zach long term and you want to blow all that 12m on Poni, Carter, Bernier Fayne and Hedberg + X and Y spare part? If we really are in that much trouble give Marty a 1y 5m or 2y 4m deal and be done with it. We keep his legacy intact, we have a starting goalie, helps us reach the floor and buys us a few years to get new owners or whatever it is we need to make us competitive again.

If it's not the worst scenario then just sign the guy for a little more then he is worth, god knows Lou has done that before with random FA's.

The percentage of casual sports fans that know Brodeur is probably double-or-triple that of Chelios or Coffey. No, it isn't Gretzky, but it's definitely Favre-like.

Also the amount of people that know Brodeur is probably something more like 7.6x the amount that know Chelios or Coffey... :giggle:

Coffey is def HOF and Chelios is probable, so that is why I mentioned them since Brodeur is def going into the HOF.

Favre had a bad season with the Jets and now a lot of Jets fans wouldn't be caught dead in one of his jerseys. I do not think teams want that to happen if they sign Brodeur. It may provide a small spike but if he falls under expectations you can bet there will be a backlash.

You don't think some owners in the NHL have significant input on business/personnel decisions made?!?!?!

A lot less than you think, especially in hockey. Please name one. JVB with Kovalchuk, and that's about all, and that probably had nothing to do with how many jerseys the team would be selling.

If he was a FA last year you would have been making the same argument on why he wasn't worth 5m and that he would never be able to put up a playoffs like the one he just did. Look at whats in front of us, worst case scenario we need to spend at least 12m to be a floor team, there's no point in signing Zach long term and you want to blow all that 12m on Poni, Carter, Bernier Fayne and Hedberg + X and Y spare part? If we really are in that much trouble give Marty a 1y 5m or 2y 4m deal and be done with it. We keep his legacy intact, we have a starting goalie, helps us reach the floor and buys us a few years to get new owners or whatever it is we need to make us competitive again.

If it's not the worst scenario then just sign the guy for a little more then he is worth, god knows Lou has done that before with random FA's.

I never say never with goalies. They are totally unpredictable. I was surprised that he was able to overcome a rough first round - he played excellently for the rest of the playoffs.

If he were an FA last year, I would've made the same argument, and I would have been right. Brodeur's play in the first half nearly cost NJ a shot at the playoffs, he was horrendous in everything besides shootouts. I would much rather try to upgrade the forwards than sign Brodeur to a $5M deal, it's not worth the risk. I would also not assume that the floor will be what it is now - I'd much rather take that risk.

I can see your point, but comparing Marty now to either Chelios in Atlanta OR Coffey with Carolina/Boston is a complete insult to Marty and his legacy. Marty is THE greatest goaltender in NHL history...and likely a top 10 PLAYER in NHL history. (has to be Top 15 at worst case?) I do not think anyone would say Chelios or Coffey was the single GREATEST defenseman of all time. Not to mention that in their old age their impact was minimal, whereas Marty could get hot on the right team and make his mark....

For many fans, greatest all-time at X position is still subjective depending on what team you are fans of and time period they played in as well as other factors. Marty has the career stats, but people who may say Roy or Hasek are better will bring up save %'s, Brodeur number of losses all time, and Roy's Conn Smythes and Cup totals compared to Brodeur. Again, this applies to any position and it is all subjective to who you are asking that question to.

Marty could get hot, but past couple of seasons numbers do not look pretty. He will probably be more servicable than Coffey or Chelios in the twilight of their careers, but I do not think by a whole lot. Chelios and Coffey knew they were not going to be amongst the top defenseman on their teams in the latter stages of their careers while you can bet Brodeur does not want to be a backup to whatever team he plays on.

The fact remains that there is NOT a deal in place. So if Zach truly wanted to stay here, and we gave him a fair offer...WHAT'S THE HOLD UP? I figured after we failed to resign him longterm last season that he would make it to July 1 just for sh!ts and giggles to see what he is offered elsewhere.

The hold up is that he wants to see what he gets offered on the open market. If you made 50,000 a year (just throwing even numbers), and your company offered you 70,000, but you believe you could make 85,000 in another company, you'd have to be a little curious.

One man's fate sure as hell doesn't change the other ones, but how much buzz did he generate in a big market (New York <> Toronto) with a future hall of famer towards the end of his career coming.

And, not for nothing, everyone and their mother that goes to a vikings game is wearing a #4 jersey. There's the other side to that coin too.

The thing is that you are dealing with football. An even bigger thing is you are dealing with football in the NY market. Any signing of any significance is going to be overblown by the NY media and the buzz will always be there.

I never say never with goalies. They are totally unpredictable. I was surprised that he was able to overcome a rough first round - he played excellently for the rest of the playoffs.

If he were an FA last year, I would've made the same argument, and I would have been right. Brodeur's play in the first half nearly cost NJ a shot at the playoffs, he was horrendous in everything besides shootouts. I would much rather try to upgrade the forwards than sign Brodeur to a $5M deal, it's not worth the risk. I would also not assume that the floor will be what it is now - I'd much rather take that risk.

Nearly cost NJ a shot at the playoffs? overreach much? We may have finished 6th but on points we were closer to 1st place then 9th. In hindsight 5m for Marty last year was a steal when you look at the performance he delivered. Of course there's no way to no if he can do that again, but it's also not a reason to low ball him either.

You are missing my point, if we are a floor team why bother upgrading our forwards? the hope of a miracle run with Kovy carrying the team with Hedberg in net? If we truly are a floor team (and I don't think we are) then sign Marty and let him play out a few years while we regroup. Hell we only have a total of 19m in signed players after next season.

Worse case scenario:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct/order/false

Looking at that, it's really not that hard to imagine a team like Columbus (even with Bobrovsky) or the Islanders (goalie hoarders / trouble makers) offering more than 1 year, 3 mill for Brodeur. 3 million dollars is a small amount to pay in the 70 mill cap world. I imagine if it gets to July 1, potentially some team will offer something competitive and Brodeur will use it as leverage (but never dream of signing there). Hopefully it's only for one year, I hope Lou thinks 2 years is out of the question. Brodeur will probably re-sign for one year, 4-6 mill per.

But I really don't see any way Brodeur doesn't come back.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

You don't think NY <> Football would be LESS overblown than Brodeur <> Toronto???

The Toronto media will be screaming how the Leafs could sign a 40 year old goalie who is in the twilight of his career and hasn't put up pretty numbers for the past couple of seasons.

Do you think Marty, who has said many times enjoys his private life here in NJ, would put up with that crap in Toronto? If anyone thinks he already gets criticized way too much by Devils fans here, wait until you see what the Leafs fans and Toronto media do every night.

hahahaha. i only know because my family rents the house next door.

you can stop clenching your a$$hole now

I will admit it is pretty creepy.

I actually know Jeff's exact home address only because I grew up in the same town as him and it is not exactly that much of a secret there. I would never give it out here though.