GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Toronto Clarkarounds

RangersSuck23

hey........not to get on Lou, but the shootout is part of the game...like it or not, he needs to get a player that can help in this department

The problem is sometimes the players who are good in it (say, like Victor Kozlov SO good) are useless everywhere else. Well, on second thought....that player might have no problem fitting in here lol.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good news:  Marty's save% is up to .901 and Cory's save% is at .915.  If both goalies can do a little better than that, they'll at least be keeping the Devils in most games. 

I know the Devils looked pretty good for much of the night, but damn does this team have a hell of a time trying to put the damned puck in the net.  Hope Elias isn't out too much longer. 

hey........not to get on Lou, but the shootout is part of the game...like it or not, he needs to get a player that can help in this department

Hemsky

I really enjoyed this game - despite the loss.

Agreed.  The Devils were the better team imo.  Goals will come eventually if they keep putting forth efforts like tonight.

You've got a better stomach than me, this is the same game we've seen thirty times since late February.

Those stats 7 posted earlier were fugly.

agreed.. they look pretty good and dominant id say in a lot of their games problem is they have good control and can keep possession for the most part as they showed tonight but they lack a major part of the game... scoring goals clearly.. they have 2/3 of what they need to be successful.

You've got a better stomach than me, this is the same game we've seen thirty times since late February.

People won't be enjoying these too much 3 months from now when the writing's on the wall.   Basically if they go past sixty, pretend it's a tie and turn the game off.

I want 10 minute OT.  I don't care if it's 4 on 4 all the way through, 4 on 4 to 3 on 3, or 5 on 5.  If they need to resurface the ice, it only takes 7 minutes for the zambonis to do their work.  You're looking at an additional 30 minutes which is nothing.  You're basically making the game 3 hours long which is on par to what baseball and football games

1. Have a 10 minute intermission after the 3rd period.  As I said before, the zambonis only take about 7 minutes to fully resurface the ice sheet.

2. Since a normal 20 minute period with commercial breaks takes only 45 minutes or so, a 10 minute period with no commercials should take in between 15 and 20 minutes.

3. The shootout occurs way too much for people to even get excited about it anymore.  Ideally, each team should have at most 5 or 6 shootouts a year.

I want 10 minute OT.  I don't care if it's 4 on 4 all the way through, 4 on 4 to 3 on 3, or 5 on 5.  If they need to resurface the ice, it only takes 7 minutes for the zambonis to do their work.  You're looking at an additional 30 minutes which is nothing.  You're basically making the game 3 hours long which is on par to what baseball and football games

1. Have a 10 minute intermission after the 3rd period.  As I said before, the zambonis only take about 7 minutes to fully resurface the ice sheet.

2. Since a normal 20 minute period with commercial breaks takes only 45 minutes or so, a 10 minute period with no commercials should take in between 15 and 20 minutes.

3. The shootout occurs way too much for people to even get excited about it anymore.  Ideally, each team should have at most 5 or 6 shootouts a year.

send a letter in to gary let me know how it goes

He's referring to the game as a whole from a HOCKEY fan standpoint.  That's a game all hockey fans could have enjoyed whether you're a Devils fan, Leafs fan, or fan of just the sport.

agreed.. they look pretty good and dominant id say in a lot of their games problem is they have good control and can keep possession for the most part as they showed tonight but they lack a major part of the game... scoring goals clearly.. they have 2/3 of what they need to be successful.

The defense is good.  Top 10 imo.

The goaltending is also good.  Again top 10 in the league.

Our forwards are actually pretty good.  The problem comes from the fact our skilled guys are young and unproven like Brunner, Tedenby, Josefson, and Loktionov.  Or they're old like Elias, Jagr, and Zidlicky.  So the reliability factor on those guys isn't there.  The guys we have in their prime like Henrique, Zajac, Ryder, Bernier, Carter, Zubrus, and Gionta are not star players.  In order for this forward group to be successful, a lot of things need to fall into place.  Things have to go perfectly, and so far they haven't.

We need to call Craig Mactavish.  The Devils and Oilers make good trading partners.  Sam Gagner is a guy we can use if we want someone good in shootouts.  Hemsky is also a good guy to look at, but his injuries scare me.  But I think Lou should take the chance on either player if the opportunity presents itself.

People won't be enjoying these too much 3 months from now when the writing's on the wall.   Basically if they go past sixty, pretend it's a tie and turn the game off.

I will always enjoy games like these.

He's referring to the game as a whole from a HOCKEY fan standpoint.  That's a game all hockey fans could have enjoyed whether you're a Devils fan, Leafs fan, or fan of just the sport.

The defense is good.  Top 10 imo.

The goaltending is also good.  Again top 10 in the league.

Our forwards are actually pretty good.  The problem comes from the fact our skilled guys are young and unproven like Brunner, Tedenby, Josefson, and Loktionov.  Or they're old like Elias, Jagr, and Zidlicky.  So the reliability factor on those guys isn't there.  The guys we have in their prime like Henrique, Zajac, Ryder, Bernier, Carter, Zubrus, and Gionta are not star players.  In order for this forward group to be successful, a lot of things need to fall into place.  Things have to go perfectly, and so far they haven't.

We need to call Craig Mactavish.  The Devils and Oilers make good trading partners.  Sam Gagner is a guy we can use if we want someone good in shootouts.  Hemsky is also a good guy to look at, but his injuries scare me.  But I think Lou should take the chance on either player if the opportunity presents itself.

I will always enjoy games like these.

When you're sitting there 8 points out from 4th and 13 from 3rd with no first round draft pick, these tight OT games will not be very much fun.

How they are right now, I have no idea, you're basically handed the script on a platter

When you're sitting there 8 points out from 4th and 13 from 3rd with no first round draft pick, these tight OT games will not be very much fun.

How they are right now, I have no idea, you're basically handed the script on a platter

We're also only 3 points out of a playoff spot.

I said 3 months from now

How can they be worse than right now, later?  They're starting to get goaltending, the defense is solid, and you can't lose every shootout.  It's one of maxpower's typical 'chance doesn't exist' viewpoints.

Tonight's game was enjoyable because NJ got a bunch of scoring chances - this wasn't a 19 shot affair.  The PP was horrible mostly, but oh well - hopefully Elias coming back fixes that a bit.

3 out of 4 points on road games on back to back nights is pretty good. Should have come away with two points, but the team has been playing pretty good hockey for the last 3 weeks. A win against Nashville would complete a pretty damn solid weekend. 

+

Schneider

Larsson

Jagr

Greene

Loktioniov

Zubrus

-

Finishing

Harrold

ZIDLICKY

Toronto's diving antics

I said 3 months from now

My bad.

4 points no? 

behind montreal no?

We're 3 points behind the Rags for 3rd place in the division.

How can they be worse than right now, later?  They're starting to get goaltending, the defense is solid, and you can't lose every shootout.  It's one of maxpower's typical 'chance doesn't exist' viewpoints.

Tonight's game was enjoyable because NJ got a bunch of scoring chances - this wasn't a 19 shot affair.  The PP was horrible mostly, but oh well - hopefully Elias coming back fixes that a bit.

Perfectly said Triumph.

Put simply, they cannot score.   This is the team that will put fenwick and corsi in their graves.

They're starting this year where they left off last season.    No 5 on 5 scoring to speak off and no ability to win a game that lasts longer than 60 minutes.   In this format that isn't completely the end of the world, but still...   they have no go to guy, no finisher.   You look at the Leafs game and Kessel gets that one good chance and there's a goal.    You watch the Devils play and they control and can't score.   You can say that's bad luck and the numbers should even out, but the problem is they don't have those one or two guys that will consistently score.

That and they have a "doom switch" portion of the schedule coming up.   I am loathe to go out to California.   So games like this are frustrating when you have a game that plays out as a win on paper, but turns out to be a point.

Edited by maxpower

Put simply, they cannot score.   This is the team that will put fenwick and corsi in their graves.

They're starting this year where they left off last season.    No 5 on 5 scoring to speak off and no ability to win a game that lasts longer than 60 minutes.   In this format that isn't completely the end of the world, but still...   they have no go to guy, no finisher.   You look at the Leafs game and Kessel gets that one good chance and there's a goal.    You watch the Devils play and they control and can't score.   You can say that's bad luck and the numbers should even out, but the problem is they don't have those one or two guys that will consistently score.

That and they have a "doom switch" portion of the schedule coming up.   I am loathe to go out to California.   So games like this are frustrating when you have a game that plays out as a win on paper, but turns out to be a point.

No one has 'one or two guys that will consistently score'.  Consistent scoring is a myth.  That aside, the Devils aren't actually playing that great 5 on 5 so far this season (although tonight was pretty darn good).  

Shootout ability is ridiculously transient.  Overtime ability is ridiculously transient.  These are things subject to enormous doses of chance.

They're going to get more goals.  We know this.  We know this because teams don't sustain this shooting percentage over a full season.  Not expansion teams, not horrendous teams who might've been worse.  So we know the scoring will improve.  The trouble lately is that their best guys aren't getting enough shots - Ryder is a finisher and he's getting 1 shot a game.  Henrique's shot rate is way down.  You can go down the roster and mostly it's a lot of guys who just aren't getting enough pucks on net.  If these guys can start to pick it up shots-wise, and the Devils can move from being a 52% outshooting team to 56-57% when Elias comes back, it can be a team that gets enough goals to win games, if they get the goaltending.