Honeymoon's Over

eddieslobbo

Well,

After 3 weeks (and only 8 games, in the Devils' case), the NHL ref's close calling of obstruction rules is over. If any of you, and I'm sure '7' wasn't, was at the game last night, you could see the checks away from the puck, the stick-holding, the hooking. Patrik Elias was hooked on his breakaway. It was disgraceful. Granted, the Devils went 0-5 on the PP, but they should have been awarded 5 more. Would they have scored? Who knows, but when you play every 3-5 days I guess the PP can get rusty.

:angry:

the league will review how things are going at the 20, 40, 60, and 80 game mark. If things start to revert back to old form they'll probably send out memos or replace the refs who aren't calling the game the way it should be called. Last night they did a bad job with Carolina, a team notorious for clutching and grabbing, for the most part the action has been good.

I know -- Chico was even being a ref homer -- I think it was chico - I just remember hearing - "Yeah see Gionta and see that..(of course I couldn't see it :( ) that will be called next year." He was excusing the refs saying that the obstruction will get more and more strictly enforced as the league gets used to it...sounded like a crock excuse for the Devils taking it from the refs. I may be being a jerk off here but CANES GET TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT!!! They're good because they're given so much leeway it pisses me off to no end! MAN! They even have the picture of Master Bates sitting on Stevens last year...god that pissed me off...So if the devils then follow that lead they get freaking called on it! DRIVES ME NUTS!!!! That's my real problem with the Canes really.

yeah yeah :cryriver: tell it to the Marines, right? :evilcry:

I think it's too early to declare the rule change a bust. Like Sev said, it'll get reviewed throughout the season.

To declare "the honeymoon over" after only one game (to which we are clearly biased, in either direction) is a little premature, I feel.

I think the rule changes are a bust too. You just knew it would level off after the first few games. It was painfully obvious right out of the shoot that all of the penalties were having the the opposite effect in that they were actually slowing the game down a bit because of all the stoppages.