GDT: Phoenix @ Devils 7:00 PM

MadDog2020

Everyone in the league is using video now. I have seen goalies looking at a tablet during the dry cut. In regards to the Devils, it's a combination of no confidence and poor execution. I have no idea why he is sending the same guys because if my girlfriend can tell me what Elias is gonna before the shootout even starts, then that is obviously a problem.

Edited by hystyk28

well how often were elias and zajac scoring 2 years ago? not that often and it was mostly fluky goals too. Elias would score sliding the puck under the goalies pads juuusssttt enough (since he never ever lift it).

Plus they had way less pressure since Kovy would score 95% of the time on the first shot. Confidence is a big thing and this team is obviously shot

Except that the Devils were mostly very good in shootouts before Kovy even got here.  And Elias was a pretty good shooting% guy too.  The Devils weren't ever bad at this until very suddenly last season.  They went from being the very best at it (they had the top shooting% and either the best or near-best winning% since its inception) to the very worst, seemingly overnight.

Losing all our shootout champions doesn't help build confidence.

Parise

Kovalchuk

and of course, Viktor Kozlov.

It warms my heart to know we're missing the playoffs this year based on the hockey equivalent of being able to throw a football through a tire.

I wish Gary Bettman were born a Spartan so that he would have made it were he belongs -- abandoned on a high cliff face during the winter. 

Late to the party but some of the Marty hate earlier in this thread is really sad. It's one thing to be disappointed in him/his recent comments but jeez the guy still wears a devils uniform and is one of the best ever.

I think a lot of people on here just want him to say that he's done commenting on his future until after this season is over.  I include myself in that as well.  Clearly the Star Ledger and NJ.com are doing everything in their power to keep this a recurring story since those hacks have nothing better to write about.  But he fuels the fire by continnuing to answer the questions openly and honestly when most other athletes in his situation would not make any comment at all on it. 

However, the utter vile hatred spewed towards him in this and just about every other thread on this Board is really sad and says a lot.  Some people on here act like he is supposed to tell PDB not to play him so Cory can start every game because that's the way they see it. 

Late to the party but some of the Marty hate earlier in this thread is really sad. It's one thing to be disappointed in him/his recent comments but jeez the guy still wears a devils uniform and is one of the best ever.

No hate, just frustration. This guy has played his whole career in a Devils uniform. He knows the crest on the front is more important than the one on the back and I wish he would act like it for at least a few more weeks. To complain about not playing enough is unreal when he's played more here than he would've anywhere else. And to talk about potential teams for next year right before you just got named starter of a do-or-die game? That's just unacceptable. I never had a problem with Zach until he came out and said he was talking to Suter about going to Minnesota while he was still in the playoffs and that's the same problem I have with Marty now. Talk about next season when this one is over.

I think a lot of people on here just want him to say that he's done commenting on his future until after this season is over. I include myself in that as well. Clearly the Star Ledger and NJ.com are doing everything in their power to keep this a recurring story since those hacks have nothing better to write about. But he fuels the fire by continnuing to answer the questions openly and honestly when most other athletes in his situation would not make any comment at all on it.

However, the utter vile hatred spewed towards him in this and just about every other thread on this Board is really sad and says a lot. Some people on here act like he is supposed to tell PDB not to play him so Cory can start every game because that's the way they see it.

agreed, I totally understand frustration at the fact that he's playing instead of Cory and disappointment in the comments he's made recently, but IMO it's way over the line to call him a "fat piece of garbage" as has been used in this thread. I guess fandom takes on different forms in various people but personally there are very few people in this world that I would reserve that kind of language for, and none of them are NHL players, never mind the greatest to ever play for our franchise.

It's unfortunate, and I think it's also represented in comments like "captain suck is out tonight. Good" - is it Salvador's fault that he's only an average 3rd line defensman and is wearing the "c" for this team? And is it that easy for so called devils fans to root against their own players?

Maybe they just do it for effect and to generate a response, I don't know. But it's rough to have the team underperform and have to put up with some miserable people around here on top of it.

Also I'm not trying to be holier than thou, there are plenty of times in the heat of the moment I'll curse a bad play from a devils player, but this is constant derision from the same posters toward the same players who IMO are not even the biggest problem facing this team (we're 10th in goals against but 24th in goals for).

3-2 Devils. Brodeur gets all the tough shots and lets in two crap goals. 

Devils, 4-3 in OT, Jagr, Henrique, Greene, Clowe.

pls

These 2 were the closest predictions, haha

Being at this game was pretty frustrating, as stated many times in this thread. The open net misses or post hits.... :doh1:

and the refs really ruined that first period, but then again that is how they been all season and for pretty much most teams and not just the Devils.

I truly thought they had that game though, but I won't give up hope yet. 

Yep.  And we came back from a 2-0 deficit.  It was a well earned point imo.  Phoenix is a hot team right now, so getting them to OT is nothing to be ashamed of.

Coming back from 2-0 (where we're usually dead and buried) and getting a goal with literally 0.3 to go in a period...I'd say yea we're pretty lucky to come away with something in this game. Greiss looked unbeatable for most of it. Our two goals were of the garbage variety.

These 2 were the closest predictions, haha

Being at this game was pretty frustrating, as stated many times in this thread. The open net misses or post hits.... :doh1:

and the refs really ruined that first period, but then again that is how they been all season and for pretty much most teams and not just the Devils.

I truly thought they had that game though, but I won't give up hope yet. 

There was a sequence where I believe a Devils with the puck gets tackled NFL style behind the net, then the play proceeds into the far boards and a Devils gets run from behind. Then Clowe is fuming, runs a Coyote and Clowe is the only guy to get called

Edited by '7'

There was a sequence where I believe a Devils with the puck gets tackled NFL style behind the net, then the play proceeds into the far boards and a Devils gets run from behind. Then Clowe is fuming, runs a Coyote and Clowe is the only guy to get called

Oh the crowd got so into that moment, we all chanted "Refs you sucks!" for a solid minute after they replayed it on the big screens.

Except that the Devils were mostly very good in shootouts before Kovy even got here.  And Elias was a pretty good shooting% guy too.  The Devils weren't ever bad at this until very suddenly last season.  They went from being the very best at it (they had the top shooting% and either the best or near-best winning% since its inception) to the very worst, seemingly overnight.

Exactly.  Doesn't anyone remember when Parise would go first and score on his awesome backhand under the bar after doing the fake leg kick, then Kozlov (he was fvcking AMAZING) would go second and score on a backhand because he had such a long reach, and then finally 3rd was usually a combination of either Elias doing his patented slalom, or Langenbrunner who usually tried a simple wrist shot.  We were always good at shooting, and then when Kovy came we got even better -- not sure how people say he was never good at shootouts -- for us anyway, he was pretty damn awesome.  I would agree his move was simplistic, but he had such a hard snap-shot that the speed was more of a problem than actually knowing or being worried about what he was gonna try, because most goalies knew anyway but still couldn't stop it.

has the light gone on for Merrill or what? I only saw a little bit of him at Michigan after he came back from the neck injury. he was rusty and didn't stand out. thought he  was just a kid with a good shot.  but I didn't realize how sharp and smooth he is on his edges. he's already one of the better skaters on this team.  gotta bulk him up with a real offseason program and we have ourselves a solid second paring for next year

has the light gone on for Merrill or what? I only saw a little bit of him at Michigan after he came back from the neck injury. he was rusty and didn't stand out. thought he was just a kid with a good shot. but I didn't realize how sharp and smooth he is on his edges. he's already one of the better skaters on this team. gotta bulk him up with a real offseason program and we have ourselves a solid second paring for next year

He is definitely looking confident out there. He looks light years ahead of Gelinas. I will say Gelines looked pretty good last night. I like we he dumps and retrieves the puck. I hope he just develops more into a solid D man.

I also hope we sign Fayne. He is just a rock back there.

He is definitely looking confident out there. He looks light years ahead of Gelinas. I will say Gelines looked pretty good last night. I like we he dumps and retrieves the puck. I hope he just develops more into a solid D man.

I also hope we sign Fayne. He is just a rock back there.

I honestly think Fayne is one of the better one on one defenders in the league. the guy keeps a tight gap even against elite speed. and for a larger player he can stop on a dime. and now he's tasted some O and pinches aggressively. just a solid pairing him and greene

agreed in here.. its obvious that fayne and greene have been nothing but assets i know greene's contract is up after this season and i believe faynes is also ( didnt read much of this thread so just going off of what i know) .. i certainly hope we can find a way to bring them both back