FCC Ruling Gives Verizon & AT&T Access To MSG’s HD Channels

brodeur14301991

On in Maplewood, as well! This is gonna be great, although unfortunately I won't be able to record tonight's ceremony and game in HD. I'm going straight from work to the arena, and TiVo doesn't yet have the guide data for these channels so I can't program for them remotely from my work computer. Still, watching future games in HD is going to seriously rock.

Colin, is Cablevision still appealing? I mean, is there any chance that they can get this reversed, in your legal opinion?

lol this whole thing is very confusing.. The appeal itself is still ongoing and could take months to sort out.. What happened recently to give FiOS subscribers MSG HD is that the stay of the FCC decision was denied.. Basically, the stay was holding off the FCC's requirement that FiOS be given HD until the courts had a chance to review the case more.. It was merely a motion attached to the actual appeal.. That motion was denied and Cablevision was out of stall tactics, so we now have HD..

The only way this can be reversed is if Cablevision were to win this appeal.. Then FiOS would lose MSG HD, but there are 2 reasons why this is unlikely at this point.. 1 - The courts have completely sided with the FCC up to this point.. 2 - It would be a PR nightmare for Cablevision to have MSG HD available and then pull it.. A lot of people, including the League most likely, would be pissed at them for taking away programming

So yes, there is the slightest of slight chances that this is reversed, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.. At the very least we will have it until the end of the season

Edited by Colin226

lol this whole thing is very confusing.. The appeal itself is still ongoing and could take months to sort out.. What happened recently to give FiOS subscribers MSG HD is that the stay of the FCC decision was denied.. Basically, the stay was holding off the FCC's requirement that FiOS be given HD until the courts had a chance to review the case more.. It was merely a motion attached to the actual appeal.. That motion was denied and Cablevision was out of stall tactics, so we now have HD..

The only way this can be reversed is if Cablevision were to win this appeal.. Then FiOS would lose MSG HD, but there are 2 reasons why this is unlikely at this point.. 1 - The courts have completely sided with the FCC up to this point.. 2 - It would be a PR nightmare for Cablevision to have MSG HD available and then pull it.. A lot of people, including the League most likely, would be pissed at them for taking away programming

So yes, there is the slightest of slight chances that this is reversed, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.. At the very least we will have it until the end of the season

Thanks for the explanation.

I asked because I still have Cablevision but want to switch to FiOSs only if they have MSG+ in HD. I would hate to switch now only to see HD taken away.

Another question: What's the reason FiOS can't get the other MSG channel in HD? Right now, on my Cablevision, if the Rangers and Islanders are on MSG and MSG+ and the Devils get bumped to another channel, I can still get it in HD further up the dial.

i have MSG and MSG+ in HD woo!! (as of yesterday)

now.. my issue with the feed....

MSG HD is encrypted, meaning, it will not allow my computer to view the channel through the current means i use to stream. (FIOS -> Firewire Cable -> Bunch of programs -> feed)

This means i have to find a different way to stream to everyone.

When i am home,i will be watching the HD channel will be on my brand new 42" LED tv... so it wont be able to be seen by those on the streaming site due to the encryption.

I am researching options as to how to fix this so at least the SD feed will be streamed.

Im not looking to spend money on this since i make none off of it...(by the way, it is even more illegal for me to profit off of this, so do not offer me money haha i will not accept it)

for the next 3 games (Stars, Habs and Rags) ill be At them or with family, so the feed can be as is... after that, ill hopefully have a solution to the problem.

- Matt

got it 578 msg and 580 msg+ looks good enough to make me watch last nights rangers game encore cant wait for tonight middletown area

Edited by bishops317

Thanks for the explanation.

I asked because I still have Cablevision but want to switch to FiOSs only if they have MSG+ in HD. I would hate to switch now only to see HD taken away.

Another question: What's the reason FiOS can't get the other MSG channel in HD? Right now, on my Cablevision, if the Rangers and Islanders are on MSG and MSG+ and the Devils get bumped to another channel, I can still get it in HD further up the dial.

Yeah I've been trying to find out why MSG2 and MSG+2 are not in HD. Best answer I can come up with is that they don't allow any other company access to those HD feeds so they don't have to give it to FiOS.. They do offer the regulars MSG's to other companies and hat is how FiOS won and got them

Still, FiOS is a better product on the whole and tomorrow the Rangers got bumped to overflow while the Devils are on MSG+ so you would still get a lot of games in HD if you switched.. Plus FiOS has some sick first time sign up bonuses going on like free multi room DVR for life so I'd check it out and consider the switch

There is a 0.00001% chance FiOS loses HD so you should feel safe switching

Edited by Colin226

i would NEVER go back to Cablevision. Ive had FIOS since it was offered in my town, and never looked back.

While living at my apartment, we had CV, and it was just bad. Tons of internet issues, we had signal issues with TV quality. and it just sucked.

now im back home with FIOS and wherever i move next will def HAVE to have a FIOS connection, or i will not move there...

and BTW, the MSGHD picture quality is better on FIOS than CV

Yeah I've been trying to find out why MSG2 and MSG+2 are not in HD. Best answer I can come up with is that they don't allow any other company access to those HD feeds so they don't have to give it to FiOS.. They do offer the regulars MSG's to other companies and hat is how FiOS won and got them

I have Time Warner and they also only have MSG2 channels in standard definition. I might be finally switching over to fios once I get my current DVRS all cleared off.

This is a rather glorious occasion because I know others and myself have been waiting for this forever.

Edited by Satans Hockey

i would NEVER go back to Cablevision. Ive had FIOS since it was offered in my town, and never looked back.

While living at my apartment, we had CV, and it was just bad. Tons of internet issues, we had signal issues with TV quality. and it just sucked.

now im back home with FIOS and wherever i move next will def HAVE to have a FIOS connection, or i will not move there...

and BTW, the MSGHD picture quality is better on FIOS than CV

Pretty much sums up how much better FiOS is than any competitor.. I will also never give up FiOS.. Cable simply cannot compete with fiber optics

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at my FiOS guide right now and I'm getting MSG 2 HD.. Does anyone know if this is only showing because the Knicks are on it or if we're finally going to get the extra MSG's in HD now

i saw that the other day... i think its the full channel, which is awesome