Rangers/Avery divorce

Devil Fan

I can't feel ever sorry for Avery, but the guy really was on the cusp of becoming a pretty good player with the Rangers (early on in his time there)...a guy who could score some goals and drive his opponents batty...much as I hate to admit it, that fvcker did some good things against the Devils, and did get inside their heads at times. If only he had had the slightest clue on how to rein himself in...he could have finished his career with 500 points or so, and been a hell of an agitator.

you can't ignore that avery was a nearly $2M cap hit and is a 4th liner.

and that's the risk you run when you sign a large contract. if things go wrong, you might end up buried in the minor leagues or in europe. i could see a desperate team giving him a tryout next year (islanders maybe?).

Maybe, but what about the exchange he had with Snow. Scary that he should be a $4 mill cap hit right now, which he certainly would not be worth at all. I'm really not sure where Avery's game is at right now since he only played 5-8 minutes a game. From what I saw, he didn't look too bad.

Even if Sean Avery still has something left in the tank, my question is would any GM even risk taking him? I can't see one doing it right now.

Maybe Sean Avery has no interest left in playing hockey. He's made a good living. He has other interests obviously.

I can't feel ever sorry for Avery, but the guy really was on the cusp of becoming a pretty good player with the Rangers (early on in his time there)...a guy who could score some goals and drive his opponents batty...much as I hate to admit it, that fvcker did some good things against the Devils, and did get inside their heads at times. If only he had had the slightest clue on how to rein himself in...he could have finished his career with 500 points or so, and been a hell of an agitator.

Speaking of careers, we joke because Clarkson is having such a good season and Avery called Clarkson a scrub, but Clarkson is close to passing Avery's career goal scoring too. Avery was more sizzle than steak, excluding a couple of season.

re: terms like f*g, gay, and the like, i think it is more of a generic put down than actually having anything to do with homophobia. hockey and the NHL are fairly progressive. the vast majority of these players have solid families behind them and grew up with a work ethic where i'd think there'd be more acceptance.

Speaking of careers, we joke because Clarkson is having such a good season and Avery called Clarkson a scrub, but Clarkson is close to passing Avery's career goal scoring too. Avery was more sizzle than steak, excluding a couple of season.

Not to get too off-topic, but man will it be interesting to see where Clarkson goes from here. Some of the puck-luck this guy's gotten has been unbelievable.

re: terms like f*g, gay, and the like, i think it is more of a generic put down than actually having anything to do with homophobia. hockey and the NHL are fairly progressive. the vast majority of these players have solid families behind them and grew up with a work ethic where i'd think there'd be more acceptance.

i think there are certain anxieties that come with being a pro athlete, and i don't think pro sports are ready for an openly gay player.

Not to get too off-topic, but man will it be interesting to see where Clarkson goes from here. Some of the puck-luck this guy's gotten has been unbelievable.

I was actually in the middle of putting together a post on all of Clarkson's goals this season and the magical ride he is on. He has had about 6-8 goals bounce off of him. He has "stolen" two goals from teammates that were clearly going in before he jammed them in on the line. He has a few empty netters and has benefited from a couple terrible goals let in by some goalies.

He's still playing very well for him, but the luck he has had adds up to 5 years for some players.

I also think the players know who is gay, or at the very least have their suspicions in every sport. In virtually every anonymous player interview you read (again in any sport) the players say they don't care. The few who might make a big deal about it are the crazy religious ones of the Carl Everett (and not Tim Tebow) ilk.

Really, I think gay players would get it worse from the fans and perhaps sponsors, which is, in my opinion anyway, why you haven't seen anyone come out during their career.

Edited by Daniel

I was actually in the middle of putting together a post on all of Clarkson's goals this season and the magical ride he is on. He has had about 6-8 goals bounce off of him. He has "stolen" two goals from teammates that were clearly going in before he jammed them in on the line. He has a few empty netters and has benefited from a couple terrible goals let in by some goalies.

He's still playing very well for him, but the luck he has had adds up to 5 years for some players.

Be that as it may, it's very satisfying to see that he's having a better year than any that Avery has ever had, especially in the same year that it turns out a minor league team has no use for Avery.

I also think the players know who is gay, or at the very least have their suspicions in every sport. In virtually every anonymous player interview you read (again in any sport) the players say they don't care. The few who might make a big deal about it are the crazy religious ones of the Carl Everett (and not Tim Tebow) ilk.

Really, I think gay players would get it worse from the fans and perhaps sponsors, which is, in my opinion anyway, why you haven't seen anyone come out during their career.

It's still an insane amount of pressure on that player. When you find out someone is gay, their family and friends might be surprised. Maybe the community is talking. Here you would literally have the entire world watching. Maybe that person is married too. That be unfair for your wife and children to be put through this. You'd also be expected to be a role model. That's a lot for one person to deal with even if no one really cares around you in the locker room. The whole weight isn't going to be off their shoulders in this case.

The second person in that sport who comes out might have it a lot easier. And players might say all the right things and think it'll be okay, but having an openly gay teammate does change the dynamics in the locker room and in social settings if you want to believe it or not. Everyone wants to say and do the right things..but who knows.

i think there are certain anxieties that come with being a pro athlete, and i don't think pro sports are ready for an openly gay player.

i can accept this. it will take the right situation for this to happen - a guy that is liked in his room that's been on the team for 3 or 4 years and has a fairly established group. also, i would assume there are some "closeted" guys that are known to a select group and its quite possible that burke would encourage him to come out. you see the ads the league is now running on the subject with players from every team.

the fact is, the person will be much more celebrated than chastised that i think it might be worth it.

as for sponsorships and endorsements - this will be a marketing and sponsorship gold mine for the first guy. i could see it being a nondescript 2nd/3rd liner - or back pairing defenseman - someone like a tyler kennedy or andy greene (not saying that they are gay - just that kind of player).

it sounds corny, but i hope it happens in hockey because i think it's a groundbreaking event that should truly be celebrated and i'd love hockey to get the recognition for it.

The a$$hole's been a disgrace to hockey for years now. No respect for anyone, no honour. Just a stupid attention whore. I hope no team ever wants him again.

I think he'll get one last shot from someone, based on what he did for the Rangers a few years back...but if he's lucky enough to make someone's roster, I don't think he sticks for long.

From everything I have seen and heard, hockey is one of most homophobic sport out there along with baseball. In locker rooms from high school, juniors, college and the pros, words like f*g, f*ggot and h*mo, are second nature. The environment would be fairly uncomfortable for someone who was gay growing up in it for his entire life. Add that to the fact that you'd have to be a trailblazer, I can't see it happening.

When Simmonds called Avery a f*ggot, how many times do you think Avery has heard that? How often do you think that goes on during a normal game? I'd say pretty often. I think players are programmed to call another player in altercation either, a fvcking bitch, fvcking p*ssy or fvcking f*aggot.

Those words, for better or worse, get used a lot everywhere, especially locker rooms. There's a difference between actual homophobia and language. I think hockey players are pretty tolerant. Especially because it's such a tough, physical sport. If you do your job, protect your teammates, take your beatings, nobody's gonna care who you're sleeping with.

I don't know about that. Multiple athletes have publicly said it didn't matter. Charles Barkley, who is outspoken, but honest, said that most of the guys in the NBA knew who was gay, and didn't care as long as they did their jobs right. He argued that you needed the right athlete in your corner, and there were more important ways of figuring that out than sexual preference.

Maybe that person is married too. That be unfair for your wife and children to be put through this.

Unfair assumption that he's got a beard family just because he's in the closet. Or that he's even in the closet because he hasn't told the world. It's entirely possible that there are players right now who are openly gay, but just haven't told the world. Even if not openly gay, there are a lot of single guys. One of them might be gay. Are there guys who are gay and have wives and kids? Yeah, but it's crazy to assume that THOSE guys are going to be the trailblazers.

And players might say all the right things and think it'll be okay, but having an openly gay teammate does change the dynamics in the locker room and in social settings if you want to believe it or not. Everyone wants to say and do the right things..but who knows.

I've played with gay teammates before. You stop caring real fast. The only intelligent thing I've heard about teammates is Lebron James saying he'd have a problem with a teammate in the closet, because in a good locker room, everybody is family, and trusts everybody else, and keeping a secret like that can disrupt that atmosphere.

Like Daniel said, there might be a couple of very religious/homophobic guys who have a problem, but a majority of athletes care if you can play and if you're honest with them.

Wait, hockey is one of the most homophobic sports? Guys kiss each other on the lips sometimes, if they're both French Canadian, to celebrate. I don't see that happening in other sports.

Avery's problem with not being in the NHL is hockey related, nothing else, IMO. If people thought they'd win more with Avery then he'd be playing somewhere.

Patrick Burke said it best and what I was trying to mean when I was talking about homophobia in hockey.

We call it "casual homophobia." It's people (specifically athletes in this case) using homophobic slurs without intending them to be homophobic slurs (usually). It's the guy who says "That's so gay" when he means "That's stupid." It's the guy who says "Don't be a f*g" instead of "don't be an a$$hole."

It is that and knowing when a guy is straight..going "you're acting like a f*g", or "go suck a dick" or making hand gestures like you are sucking a dick (which NHL player did that). They aren't really scared or hate gay people, but it is an easy joke to make and it happens all the time.

These are also the same guys that take part in pranks and hazing that involve some pretty sexual activity. The guy who teabags as passed out player and takes a picture of it and so on. Athletes also love strutting around naked in locker rooms. No one is scared of stuff like that but the casual homophobia is rampant.

From everything I have seen and heard, hockey is one of most homophobic sport out there along with baseball. In locker rooms from high school, juniors, college and the pros, words like f*g, f*ggot and h*mo, are second nature. The environment would be fairly uncomfortable for someone who was gay growing up in it for his entire life. Add that to the fact that you'd have to be a trailblazer, I can't see it happening.

When Simmonds called Avery a f*ggot, how many times do you think Avery has heard that? How often do you think that goes on during a normal game? I'd say pretty often. I think players are programmed to call another player in altercation either, a fvcking bitch, fvcking p*ssy or fvcking f*aggot.

According to a players poll athletes in the NHL tend to be the most accepting of the four major sports. I wonder if a lot of that is because Canadians tend to be more accepting of gays than Americans or that professional athletes in the NHL just care much less compared to lower levels.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/02/28/poll.0228/