65 replies to this topic

#21 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

I understand the idea of running the ball to kill clock, burn timeouts, and not have Romo throw a costly INT... but I tend agree with Has in that, with Brady, there really isn't much of difference between getting the ball with 2+ minutes left and 2 timeouts versus 2+ minutes and 1 timeout. And I don't care if he needs to drive 30, 50, 70, 80, or 100 yards for a score - he can do it all. The Cowboys went very conservative; when you're playing Tom Brady on the road, you have to take some risks to win these games. Maybe it's just the pessimist in me as a Jets' fan wanting the Cowboys to win, but when the Pats got the ball back, even though they were at their own 20 with only 1 timeout plus the 2 minute warning left, I remember thinking to myself "watch Brady at least get them in field position to tie it with a FG; it's just what he does".
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,103 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

I've watched Brady for ten years make those drives automatically, against a lot better defenses than the Cowboys. Romo threw for 300 plus so it's not like they stayed away from throwing on any other drive.

For me, it was about where that defense was at that time...they had played a terrific game to that point (no points for the Pats in the second half until that final possession)...why not give them the chance to win the game, instead of giving Romo the chance to screw it up? It's like Crash said, he IS prone to mistakes at the end of games, and though he didn't throw any picks after his early one, he made a few throws near the end of the game that were shaky, decision-wise. And though Dallas' D couldn't stop Brady at the end, it's obvious that Rob Ryan is pretty good at game-planning for Brady...in NE's two games against Ryan's defenses, NE has put up just 34 points in the two games combined. Brady's overall numbers in those games don't look that bad (19/36 for 224 yards and 2 TDs last season, 27/41 for 289 yards, 2 TDs and 2 INTs against Dallas), but having watched both games, I can tell you that Brady had a tough time in both of them.

You can make the argument "Give a Hall-of-Famer enough chances to beat you and he eventually will.", especially when factoring in the regular season magic Brady has going at home, but I could SO see the scenario Crasher's talking about happening...Romo trying desperately to make something happen on 2nd or 3rd down and killing his team in the process. Had that happened, everyone would be saying "Why the hell is Romo throwing the ball when Dallas' defense was playing so well?" Of course, you can argue back that the Pats likely would've scored quicker and Dallas could've had more time for a potential comeback, but Romo's confidence likely would've been a mess after yet another late-game meltdown. I think Dallas played it right, sometimes things just don't work out.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

If Lions went undefeated like packers are still, there match-up on Thanksgiving would probally be the biggest game in a long time. If they both stay undefeated. Only one left but Packers always win

#24 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,456 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

Let me add one more thing to this too....the Cowboys NEVER stop someone from driving the field on the last drive with the game on the line (well maybe they stopped Grossman I don't know never got to see that game)....it was kinda lose/lose, throw the ball and the INT is coming....punt the ball and pray it drops inside the 5 and take your chances...either way the odds were against the Cowboys with the history of this team with the guys they have in the key positions....

If Lions went undefeated like packers are still, there match-up on Thanksgiving would probally be the biggest game in a long time. If they both stay undefeated. Only one left but Packers always win

Why is EVERYONE overlooking Green Bay's game in San Diego?
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#25 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

Let me add one more thing to this too....the Cowboys NEVER stop someone from driving the field on the last drive with the game on the line (well maybe they stopped Grossman I don't know never got to see that game)....it was kinda lose/lose, throw the ball and the INT is coming....punt the ball and pray it drops inside the 5 and take your chances...either way the odds were against the Cowboys with the history of this team with the guys they have in the key positions....

Why is EVERYONE overlooking Green Bay's game in San Diego?

Cause it turned out as a win. Eagles suck and they played bad their game to and they won.

#26 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

You must have missed yesterday, Detroit lost, and their coach went apes*it lol.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#27 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

You must have missed yesterday, Detroit lost, and their coach went apes*it lol.

Said" One left "

#28 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

Cause it turned out as a win.

What? They didn't play the game yet; Chargers/Packers is in Week 9. :lol: I think Crasher meant that people are overlooking the possibility of the Chargers beating the Packers before the Lions/Packers matchup.

---

That altercation between Schwartz and Harbaugh was funny. Both were guilty of being jerky. I thought Harbaugh was a bit disrespectful but Schwartz was probably looking to pick a fight after forgetting what losing felt (that was the Lions' first loss -- preseason included -- since the beginning of last December!).

Edited by nmigliore, 17 October 2011 - 12:23 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#29 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,103 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...ams-sources-say

Brandon Lloyd goes to the Rams.

Supposedly the Pats were interested (I'm guessing they would've cut Ocho, who apparently can't catch onto the Pats' playbook, much less actual footballs)...would've been nice for depth pruposes, but Ocho's problems aside, the passing game hasn't been much of an issue for the Patriots.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 17 October 2011 - 12:36 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#30 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

Can anyone with deeper knowledge of NFL free agency explain to me how Lloyd could potentially bring back a compensatory draft pick to the Rams? Peter King mentioned it in his MMQB piece:

I think the reason Denver wideout Brandon Lloyd should go somewhere -- my choice would be the Rams, for a fourth-round pick -- is pretty simple. The acquiring team would owe him only $1 million for the rest of the year, and it would get a supremely motivated player because he's got to play for a new contract. And even if the acquiring team doesn't sign him, it would probably get a compensatory draft choice in return in 2013. So trade a four in 2012, get Lloyd to use for 10 games, and get a fifth-rounder, in all likelihood, in 2013 if you don't sign him.

I did some brief reading up on NFL free agency and I thought draft pick compensation only applied to free agents with less than 4 years of service time (restricted free agents), which Lloyd doesn't appear to be....

If the Rams could work out an extension, I think the deal could look pretty good for them given the low cost.

Edited by nmigliore, 17 October 2011 - 12:57 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#31 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

That altercation between Schwartz and Harbaugh was funny. Both were guilty of being jerky. I thought Harbaugh was a bit disrespectful but Schwartz was probably looking to pick a fight after forgetting what losing felt (that was the Lions' first loss -- preseason included -- since the beginning of last December!).

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8zp1Q0MZE9Y

Last night, I couldn't get enough of watching those highlights, LOL. Schwartz said someone dropped the F-bomb. Harbaugh said he shook his hand too hard. It looked to me like the slap in the back knocked Schwartz off balance and that was what set him off in a rage.

#32 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,456 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

Cause it turned out as a win. Eagles suck and they played bad their game to and they won.

Green Bay is IN San Diego, 11/6...you've simmed too far ahead in your little Madden season :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#33 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

Thanks Matt Moore!

Jets look awful so far though.

Edited by nmigliore, 17 October 2011 - 08:03 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#34 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Matt Moore!

Jets look awful so far though.

Thank the refs. Definitely not Moore's fault there. Marshall got caught trying to sell it too...to no avail.

I don't know if Marty's son needs to be fired, but the offense looks lifeless. Sanchez has a solid game...1 every 4 games it seems. Jets are very lucky they are winning. Blown coverages everywhere.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#35 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

Anyone still wanna accuse me of being too cynical and jaded about this team??? :P

At least your offense can gain a ****ing first down :rant:

It's a joke the Jets still have the lead. God, twice in three weeks the Jets are embarassing themselves on national TV. The only thing saving them from nuclear disaster is a lucky non-call and a Marshall drop :lol:

I don't know if Marty's son needs to be fired, but the offense looks lifeless. Sanchez has a solid game...1 every 4 games it seems. Jets are very lucky they are winning. Blown coverages everywhere.

Brunell's either going to be the QB or the OC by halftime. But they need to change one of those spots right the **** now.

And Rex's defense ain't doing all that great either.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 17 October 2011 - 08:38 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#36 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

The Jets really couldn't look much worse so far. If not for the missed pass interference and the Marshall drop, they would be down at least 2 scores.

Hey... a first down!!!!! Yeah baby!! Progress. :P

Edited by nmigliore, 17 October 2011 - 08:44 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#37 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

A first down!!!!! Yeah baby!! Progress. :P

The Jets really couldn't look much worse so far. If not for the missed call/bad Moore throw and the Marshall drop, they would be down at least 2 scores.

Don't forget Marshall running out of bounds with just open field in front of him.

Edited by devilsrule33, 17 October 2011 - 08:44 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#38 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

My fave play in football. Around the goal line, spread the field and motion your RB out of the backfield. Usually open daylight for the QB.

logokx.jpg

#39 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

Don't forget Marshall running out of bounds with just open field in front of him.

The guy can be just baffling at times. You watch him and you could clearly see he just oozes with talent; he's done well versus Revis so far and he completely owned Cromartie on the one play you're talking about. He puts up great numbers (80+ catches, 1000+ yards) yearly. But the drops, the disappearances in the redzone (4 TD in 2 years with the Dolphins is not acceptable for a WR of his caliber, bad QB's or not), the jerky off-the-field attitude... has to be frustrating to Fins fans.

Edited by nmigliore, 17 October 2011 - 08:54 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#40 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

lol did someone take the headset from Schotty before that last drive? If not, he just bought himself a four-year extension :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users