Triumph and MacIssac hit the big time

Beetlebum

NEWARK, N.J.—Earlier this season, Peter Laviolette was asked about how much he looks at advanced statistics, such as the Corsi number, which measures shot attempts at even strength, and the closely related Fenwick.

"I'm unfamiliar with the Corsi and Fenwick statistical powers," Laviolette said. If the Flyers' coach has not made himself familiar since that morning skate in January, now would not be a good time to learn. The numbers are as hideous for Philadelphia as the 3-1 series deficit the Flyers now face in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-05-07/stanley-cup-playoffs-2012-new-jersey-devils-philadelphia-flyers-martin-brodeur-c?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=jessespector#ixzz1uCnYBnK0

Its amazing to me that NHL coaches are still unaware of advanced statistics.

That's not an 'advanced statistic', though. I understand why you're calling it that, but it's really incredibly basic. I don't think Laviolette needs to know about it, especially if his team is counting scoring chances (which they may not be doing) - Laviolette understands to match Couturier on the team's best players (a move that other coaches might not feel comfortable doing), and he definitely knows how to use what players on o-zone/d-zone faceoffs.

Corsi/Fenwick is more for general managers - knowing that the Flyers are getting their sh!t run, numerically, in the last 3 games can't help the Flyers fix it. It's not like they've been overpassing in the offensive zone or the like, they've just been horrible on the breakout and the Devils have closed down passing lanes and won a ridiculous number of board battles.